Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai Luxury Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by agp423
I would agree, if you rate those hotels only for the quality of the hotels themselves. I recall from many of your posts your jaded view of Pu Dong, given which, I hope it isn't too presumptuous of me to say that you don't care much for the Lu Jia Zui skyline. But for tourists, the skyline is a big sell. I do think viewing the skyline from the Bund is the "right" side to view the skyline, but it just feels a bit far. The FS puts you right in front of the skyline, even if it's from the "wrong" side, it's still a breathtaking view.
I lived in lzj during 2003 because I scored a sweet deal on an apartment there. In spite of the fact that I was living in style, my friends never visited me (apart from the occasional pool party), and I rarely visited them. Sure, skylines are cool, but so are people. Next time you're in town, drinks are on me at Flair, if I'm around.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:41 am
formerly gohima

Originally Posted by moondog
Both the Puli and the JA Shangri-La blow all of those out of the water IMO.
I thought Puli was OK, not great. Hard product was good, if not showing some wear and tear (mildew in shower area, lots of chips on the furniture, floor was scratched up a bit). Soft product was fine, if not unremarkable (issue that comes to mind was I confirmed early check-in two days in advance (12PM or so)but still ended up waiting for my room for maybe 25-30 min. Only "service recovery" was offering me coffee or water while I waited for them to redirect housekeeping to my room. Granted it was during CNY so very busy but don't promise something you cant deliver..)

Annoying to not have the entire Wi-Fi on VPN but I guess that comes with a local brand vs foreign. Certainly a great value, but I would hope there is a better hotel overall in such a metropolitan city..

On a return visit, I would certainly give the FS or MO in Pudong a try vs returning to Puli

Last edited by LAXJetter; Aug 4, 2015 at 10:47 am
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:26 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I lived in lzj during 2003 because I scored a sweet deal on an apartment there. In spite of the fact that I was living in style, my friends never visited me (apart from the occasional pool party), and I rarely visited them. Sure, skylines are cool, but so are people. Next time you're in town, drinks are on me at Flair, if I'm around.
^ You can be my +1 at the FS for afternoon tea ^ I like LJZ. It is very near and dear to me for many reasons. It may lack the history and culture Puxi has, but I find the modernity makes up for it. Would I live there? No. Would I stay there as a tourist? Absolutely.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 4:01 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
The internet here in Beijing has been spotty for me -- apparently the military is being extra sensitive with censorship due to the 70th anniversary of Hiroshima and end of WW2 now and the forthcoming Military Parade. As a result, I will post once I return to Hong Kong over the weekend. Sorry for the delays.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by agp423
^ You can be my +1 at the FS for afternoon tea ^ I like LJZ. It is very near and dear to me for many reasons. It may lack the history and culture Puxi has, but I find the modernity makes up for it. Would I live there? No. Would I stay there as a tourist? Absolutely.
Sounds great, thx. After the tea, we can check out Flair
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
My favourite is the Swatch Art Peace Hotel.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:43 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I had lunch last weekend at the FS's Camelia restaurant...it was very (surprisingly?) good. Very well done.

Of hotels in Shanghai, I have very favorable views of both the RC-Pudong and the Pen (other side of the river).

The Ritz has great outdoor space on a high floor.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:00 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted, I was confusing Beijing with Shanghai for some reason, the Alzheimer's must be acting up again!

Last edited by RichardInSF; Aug 13, 2015 at 9:50 am
Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:44 am

The pH is in lzj? Which hotels do you like on the side of the river where people live?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by gohima
I thought Puli was OK, not great. Hard product was good, if not showing some wear and tear
Have you tried the Shangri-La nearby? I'm considering getting their VIP card and joining their gym.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 4:57 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Which hotels do you like on the side of the river where people live?
lol

I really like the Holiday Inn West for its location. And that I can step right now and be in a little local food alley/heaven. Oh and those farmer's markets a block or two from the hotel are good too. And literally I see no tourists at all in that area.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Mandarin Oriental Pudong

Sorry for the delay -- I am now back in Hong Kong en route to Macau today.

The MO Pudong is a riverfront property and is quite new, only a couple years old. Its advantage is that it is new and shiny; the disadvantage is that I think it has the worst location of the lot. There are some office buildings around but the area overall feels quite isolated and desolate. It will require some time, I think, for the area to build up properly. In some ways, it feels like MO Washington DC but MO WAS is in a better location in DC than MO Pudong is in Shanghai.

I was given a Club River View room. Here are some photos:

The rooms are split into Deluxe and Mandarin categories with both Club and non-Club access options. Deluxe rooms have river views but do not have the views towards the Pearl Tower. They have views of the river as you can see the photo above but nothing too special. Deluxe rooms are 50 sq meters or about 550 sq ft. The bathroom opens up into the room but can be closed off by sliding opaque doors. The room comes with a work desk, a love seat that fits 3 asians, 2 western europeans, or 1 North American and a large flat panel TV. Bedding comes in twin or kind options. Bathrooms have double vanities, a large soaking tub, separate enclosed shower, and a separate WC. A la Peninsula, there is a valet box at the entrance.

Mandarin rooms are larger at about 60 sq meters, 660 sq ft, and have river views towards the Pearl Tower, i.e., the nicer view. Bathrooms are also open concept and they have large circular tubs.

Club rooms have access to the Club Lounge on the 2nd floor where breakfast, (very) light lunch, afternoon tea, and a fairly substantial dinner is offered. Every night, the dinner is a rotating theme featuring dishes from the hotel's signature restaurants -- the night I stayed was Imperial banquet and featured Beijing duck. Club guests can also take breakfast in the hotel restaurant, Zest, which has a much larger selection. Club also includes to pieces of dry cleaning/laundry per night.

The hotel has a fine dining Chinese restaurant and the all day international cuisine restaurant. Due to time constraints I was unable to try either of them. The hotel is equipped with an indoor pool and fitness centre in the basement of the hotel.

This hotel is incredibly well staffed -- unfortunately, that did not translate into better service. Essentially, one ended up seeing a lot of people standing around doing nothing. Service was inconsistent. On arrival day, the service in the Club was, almost, overbearing. The next day, it was almost impossible to get service at all. When there was service it felt cold and impersonal; highly scripted and robotic. I did not sense warmth but service is very proficient when you receive it.

I have dietary restrictions due to allergies and even though the hotel was notified of these in advance, the Club level did not seem to be aware of them. After reminding them of these allergies, they were responsive by pointing out what I could not eat. They did not, however, offer any substitutions or to check if they could customize something for me. While I don't expect the hotel to do so, the effort of checking goes a long way.

In short, I think the location is the biggest drawback of the MO Pudong. Service is inconsistent but this has been a theme throughout China.

Last edited by luxury; Aug 10, 2015 at 9:11 pm Reason: Finished MO Pudong
Old Aug 9, 2015, 1:00 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by luxury
Anyone can go to a hotel and ask to be shown some rooms and hotels will oblige but it tends to work better if there is prior arrangement.
We check out other luxury hotels as a matter of course in almost every major city we visit! We love it...as I love to have a snack or drink or lunch at other hotels, and I especially love luxury hotel bars.

We never have made prior arrangements, and we almost always are treated very well in being given a tour of the properties and of the various room categories (unless they're fully booked, of course).

In Shanghai, we stayed at the Pen (in a Grand Deluxe Riverfront Suite which is one of, if not the, best city hotel rooms we've ever had). But we also had lunch and a tour at the PH, as well as drinks and tours at the RC, WA, and FS. The MO wasn't completed yet.

In Hong Kong, we stayed at the Upper House (in perhaps our 2nd or 3rd favorite suite of all time). But we had tea and tours at the Pen, drinks and tours at the RC and W, lunch and tour at the IC, and dinners and tours at the FS (LKH) and LMO (Amber).

In Paris, we stay normally at the PH or Westin Vendome, but have had drinks and tours at the MO, Le Meurice, FSGV, Prince de Galles, Ritz (pre-renovation), Shangri-La, Raffles, etc.

In London, we stay normally at the Halkin by COMO, but we have had drinks/snacks/lunch and tours at the Lanesborough, MO, FSPL, Goring, One Aldwych, Connaught, Goring, Savoy, Dorchester, etc.

In Bangkok, we stayed at the Sukhothai, but had lunch and a tour at the Pen and tea and a tour at the MO.

In Sydney, we stay normally at the Langham or Westin, but we have had drinks/lunch and tours at the PH, FS, and IC.

In SF, we stay normally at the StR, but have stayed at the FS and MO (now Loews), and have had snacks/drinks and tours at the RC, Vitale, Fairmont, and Clift.

Even in Cusco, we stayed at the Inkaterra La Casona, but had drinks/lunches and tours at the Belmond Monasterio and Palacio del Inka.

Even in Yangon, we stayed at the Strand but had lunch and tour at the Belmond Governor's Residence.

We love it. And luxury hotels are almost always supremely accommodating when you ask politely (and indicate that you're already staying at another luxury hotel!).

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 9, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

MO Shanghai note:

The director of spa called me herself to discuss treatment options and the rooms. A very cordial and pleasant 15 mins chat. I don't know whether or not it had to do anything with a referral from a friend at another MO asking on my behalf but I doubt it. She seems like a genuinely kind, considerate person and a great director. The spa menu is intoxicating with everything sounding so tempting to try. Pretty excited to go there on Saturday!

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 11, 2015 at 1:36 am
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Four Seasons Shanghai Puxi

Sorry for the delay, the MO Pudong review is now complete. Below is my report on Four Seasons Shanghai Puxi.

Four Seasons Puxi was the first Four Seasons in China and is located on Weihai Road in the JingAn district. It is not too far away from Nanjing Road and is about a 20 minute taxi ride to the Bund, or over to Pudong. Traffic in Shanghai is pretty bad but nothing like Beijing!

As the first Four Seasons in China the hotel is of the old school variety (my favourite). There is a water feature in the large Lobby with a large Lobby Lounge. The hotel is old and is currently being refurbished, literally from top to bottom. The top floors are complete and they are a far cry from the non-renovated product. The new rooms are smart, well designed, and are a vast improvement over the old rooms.

I was upgraded from a Deluxe room to a Grand Premier room: http://www.fourseasons.com/shanghai/..._premier_room/

The Grand rooms are on the higher floors and are newly renovated. There is hardwood in the foyer and dressing area with plush carpeting in the main bedroom/living area. The bathroom has dual vanities and the bathroom is the classic Four Seasons bathroom design. There is absolutely incredible water pressure in the shower (not a rain shower head but the shower head you see at FS Whistler and other FS properties) and is designed so water does not leak into the bathroom. The separate enclosed WC may be the smallest toilet I have ever seen, or used, for that matter.

Blackout drapes work perfectly and sound is quite well insulated with double glazed windows. The internet connection is the "special" internet but upgrading to Premium internet gives you very reliable speed.

The hotel has 4 restaurants (Si Ji Xuan for high end chinese; Shintaro for Japanese; Steakhouse for, you guessed it, steak; and Cafe Studio for all day international dining. There is also a Lobby Lounge for light bites and afternoon tea.

The meeting space is currently being refurbished and it set to open in time for the Formula 1 race. The rooms should be all complete for next Spring (April 2016 target).

There is a nice fitness centre and indoor pool and a small Spa.

The highlight for me is that this hotel had warmth -- it felt like home each time you return after a hectic day out and about. Not all staff spoke English as well as in Pudong but it didn't matter as their warmth and care transcended any language abilities. With warmth and care you feel like you can communicate and understand each other, even with very little words used in the process.

For me, this was my favourite hotel in Shanghai, even over the Peninsula which is pretty amazing.

I will try to post pictures later -- for some reason, even though the photos are in my Apple Photos, they don't show up to import to FT Gallery. Once I figure this out I will post the photos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.