Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong: The Peninsula vs. The Ritz

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Hong Kong: The Peninsula vs. The Ritz

I have all my flights booked for 5 nights in Hong Kong to celebrate my birthday (in style) and I am tirelessly digging through what seems to be a more concentrated list of lux/5* properties than here in Manhattan.

Between these two what say you?

The Peninsula is drawing me in because of the Rolls Royce airport transfer that you can arrange.
The Ritz because (thanks to the co-branded rewards program with United MileagePlus) of being a Gold tier in the Marriott/Ritz program there may be a room upgrade or some other niceties? Not very familiar with hotel rewards and programs (specifically this one) but prior to this trip I'll be staying at The Ritz in New Orleans and DC Georgetown so we'll see.

This trip turned into a mileage run using GPUs for upgrades to birthday party for myself so I have no real plans but to see one friend and bounce around for a few days, traveling light so would even consider checking out two places (i.e. stay at The Peninsula the last 2/3 nights and go to the airport on my actual birthday when I leave in the Rolls Royce transfer).
I also have the option booking another property via Expedia with their VIP Elite Access program where in the past few places I've stayed offering it (Fontainbleu Miami, Mondrian LA) I have actually received a free room upgrade.

P.S. No plans to maintain the status through next year with Ritz/Marriott Rewards program. Most of the places I travel to and like to stay it's not up to enough consideration to make that feasible.

Last edited by JVPhoto; Mar 24, 2014 at 2:49 pm
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:40 pm

Both properties are I Kowloon and offer tremendous views of the skyline across the harbor in central - I much prefer staying in central at the Four Seasons or The Mandarin than either of these two properties, but if I had to choose one it would be The Pen - it is smack dab in the center of Kowloon as opposed to the Ritz which is one top of an immense office tower complex built out on a landfill over a car tunnel that connects Kowloon to Central.

The Pen is old and recently (2013) refurbished where the Ritz is new and sleek.

A ride in a Rolls on your birthday - that is the way to celebrate
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
If it's your first time, the Pen, otherwise pick a hotel on the Hong Kong side. It's a hassle going back and forth from Kowloon and if you're there to celebrate, everything you're going to want to do is in central.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:16 pm

Ha! The Peninsula without a shread of doubt. Go for a harbour view tower room or suite.

Don't even think about R-C/Marriott rewards. You will do even better by booking The Peninsula through a Virtuoso/Pen Club agent.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Okay cool I wasn't sure which side of the harbor was more lively, I still haven't done much looking into what I'm gonna do, where I'm gonna go…other than with the flow.

Maybe I'll book something central and then 2 nights at The Penn to go out with a bang on the weekend.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:00 pm

In Central you should consider FS, MO, or LMO. I don't like moving between hotels, so I would personally just stick with The Pen or one of the aforementioned hotels for my entire stay.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
In Central you should consider FS, MO, or LMO. I don't like moving between hotels, so I would personally just stick with The Pen or one of the aforementioned hotels for my entire stay.
I normally don't like either. However, in this case I'm mostly likely just going to have a few changes of clothes and may not even check luggage. In that case I wouldn't really mind.
I noticed the Shangri-La also has a RR transfer and they had a somewhat competitive offer for their Harbor Club or whatever level rooms. But in all honestly when I did the math it would only be a couple hundred US$ difference and I may just book the Peninsula through and through.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I normally don't like either. However, in this case I'm mostly likely just going to have a few changes of clothes and may not even check luggage. In that case I wouldn't really mind.
I noticed the Shangri-La also has a RR transfer and they had a somewhat competitive offer for their Harbor Club or whatever level rooms. But in all honestly when I did the math it would only be a couple hundred US$ difference and I may just book the Peninsula through and through.
Have you checked with the Four Seasons and the MO and requested a RR transfer? I would be very surprised if they are not able to arrange it. I have had the RR transfer from the SL (I booked a pickup and they upgraded it on their own)- remember car pickups from HKG are a bit awkward as you need to walk quite some distance to the pickup area which is down an elevator and not that convenient.

This being said- I typically if without luggage just take the airport express as it is faster and ends up within easy walking distance of the Landmark, the Four Seasons, and the MO. If this is your first visit to HK and you want something classic- choose the MO. If you want something in Kowloon- the PEN although as others have noted I think you may be happier in HK. Four Seasons will also arrange a very good birthday party/special occasion for you- and I think Caprice is still one of the top restaurants in Asia. On last choice to throw into the mix is the IC (former Regent)- if you choose one of the suites with the private jacuzzi on your large terrace overlooking HK you won't soon forget it- I did that one time and still have some wonderful photos and memories.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:16 am

Commuting back and forth on the Star Ferry is perhaps the very best thing to do in Hong Kong, so staying in Kowloon would not be a problem. The Pen is a bit of a tourist attraction in the lobby, much like Raffles in Singapore, but its location is far, far better than the new Ritz Carlton. The IC has the best views from any hotel in the city. We chose the FS last time, in January, and could hardly fault it. They have Bentleys, by the way.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How old is the OP? The Pen is a classic, although its rooms were just redone and modernized. The RC seems hipper, although its rooms and lounge are classic and dignified in style. Both places have lively bars. A young person might prefer the style of the W.

MR Golds shouldn't expect much special treatment at the RC, certainly absolutely not an upgrade to club level. At best they'll give you a room with a slightly better view.

I love the Star Ferry, but I'm not sure how late it operates at night. It's close to the Pen but IMO not walkable, and not an interesting walk, from the RC
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Commuting back and forth on the Star Ferry is perhaps the very best thing to do in Hong Kong, so staying in Kowloon would not be a problem. The Pen is a bit of a tourist attraction in the lobby, much like Raffles in Singapore, but its location is far, far better than the new Ritz Carlton. The IC has the best views from any hotel in the city. We chose the FS last time, in January, and could hardly fault it. They have Bentleys, by the way.
Well, the Star Ferry is fun once or twice, but if you are crossing the Harbour a lot more than that, it suggests to me you picked a hotel on the "wrong" side.

It seems OP wants a "classic" HK experience so the Pen or the MOHK are the obvious options.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:57 am

FWIW FS has a beautiful Bentley available for transfers.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Cool I also found out that the Island Shangri-La has a RR transfer as well.

Going to figure out what I want to do and book by the end of the week.

I'll be turning 31...but I don't need a bar "scene"...just a bar.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Just checked out the Four Seasons site...thanks FT'ers. Think a Bentley on the ride in and a Rolls on the ride out. If I'm going to be alone crying on my birthday I may as well do it in luxury.

But I'll just have a small bag with me going lite so not really worried about having to change hotels and I'll at least be able to check out to properties. Now to see which one gets 3 nights and which gets 2...and which is first and second.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:25 pm

I'll be turning 31...but I don't need a bar "scene"...just a bar.
I'm not quite as young as you but I did find the bars at the FS to be a bit boring! The best hotel bars are at the Pen - Felix (views) and Salon de Ning and at Upper House - Café Gray on Level 49 (views) . The bar at the RC is great for views on a clear day but I wouldn't want to stay there.

You should also consider Upper House to stay - not sure what cars they use though A combination of the Pen and UH would be perfect - older traditional HK hotel on Kowloon side and younger more cutting edge hotel on Hong Kong Island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.