Sydney Hotel Reviews - Consolidated thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney Hotel Reviews - Consolidated thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by SFore
Trying to decide between the FS and PH in Sydney for 2 nights after spending 4 nights at Southern Ocean Lodge. If staying at PH, we would go for a deluxe city harbor and hope for a Virtuoso upgrade and if staying at FS, probably go for either a grand premier harbor view or executive city suite (hope for view upgrade). I'm just not sure if i can justify the cost difference...is it worth the extra $400-$500 for a PH deluxe room? I hear so many bad things about the FS but really how bad can it be? Sure beats the Westin I'm sure.
Don't even think of staying at FS Sydney - one of the worst hotels in the group. PH is far superior in every way.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Totally agree. Love the location but the hotel itself disappoints in every way.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by wripro
Totally agree. Love the location but the hotel itself disappoints in every way.
Agree, except I am not even sure there's much to love about the location! All Sydney's better attractions, restaurants etc are somewhere else, and the traffic around that intersection is terrible. The value difference between the PH and the FS is far greater than the difference between the rates.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by SFore
. 4 nights at SOL is good for us, time & budget wise.

We can't wait, wasn't planning on taking this trip for a few years, but decided it needed to get moved up in the pecking order. We can't wait for all the great food and wine. I need to hammer down where to eat in MEL and SYD now. Staying at the PH in MEL.
Hey: just back from SOL, it was fantaastic.

Spent four nights in SYD, thanks to cancellation by UA. One great place to eat lunch is The Art Gallery of NSW Restaurant. (Not the cafeteria downstairs)Fabulous views of the harbor and Wooloomooloo, and the food is really good.

We like Aria too. Fratelli Paradiso on Challis Ave is fun, but its in Potts Point.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:06 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Even better is the Qantas P1 lounge at the MCA (Museum of Contemporary Art), but it is a tad more exclusive
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:13 am

mmak - Is SOL the Solomon Islands? I've just come back from there - we were on a small expedition ship and went to the Santa Cruz islands, Marovo Lagoon, Santa Ana as well as Guadalcanal. This was our second visit to the Solomons and it's quite probably our favourite place in the world right now.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Pausanias
mmak - Is SOL the Solomon Islands? I've just come back from there - we were on a small expedition ship and went to the Santa Cruz islands, Marovo Lagoon, Santa Ana as well as Guadalcanal. This was our second visit to the Solomons and it's quite probably our favourite place in the world right now.
South Ocean Lodge. I made up the abbreviation 'SOL'.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
South Ocean Lodge. I made up the abbreviation 'SOL'.
Mmm . . . not quite the Solomons then! I'm thinking of including SOL's sister property Capella on Lord Howe Island on my next big trip. It looks lovely but also a bit up itself and perhaps not quite attuned to the motel/homestay vibe of the island. Still thinking about that but I'll probably need some luxury after 5 days at a lodge in the middle of Kalimantan.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by number_6
Even better is the Qantas P1 lounge at the MCA (Museum of Contemporary Art), but it is a tad more exclusive
same food (at same price) and same view as neighboring MCA Restaurant?

"space for MCA Ambassadors and Qantas Platinum One members"
Ambassador is $500/yr if 40 and under, otherwise $1500/yr (deductible in AU)

Baillies >
http://longitude131.com.au/ now under their management
http://baillielodges.com.au/destinat...illies-sydney/ will be just south of PH

Originally Posted by mmack
My understanding is that the Rocks hotel is on hold for a while as the Baillies are working on Longitude 131 : we say it needs to be "Ballie-fied"
makes sense, not sure re any planning delays as well (which may have killed/suspended their tasmania plan)
then after sydney might be great ocean road near twelve apostles >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post20359241 (article a year ago)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 1, 2014 at 5:28 pm
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Mmm . . . not quite the Solomons then! I'm thinking of including SOL's sister property Capella on Lord Howe Island on my next big trip. It looks lovely but also a bit up itself and perhaps not quite attuned to the motel/homestay vibe of the island. Still thinking about that but I'll probably need some luxury after 5 days at a lodge in the middle of Kalimantan.
No no: Capella is a super place and very much in the spirit of LHI...Mark and Libby are the lovely hosts and the whole team there is extremely nice and friendly. We fell in love, as do most of the guests, and have returned every year. Planning our 9th visit now.

It will definitely fill the bill for some much needed luxury!
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Baillies >
http://longitude131.com.au/ now under their management
http://baillielodges.com.au/destinat...illies-sydney/ will be just south of PH
My understanding is that the Rocks hotel is on hold for a while as the Baillies are working on Longitude 131 : we say it needs to be "Ballie-fied"
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by mmack
No no: Capella is a super place and very much in the spirit of LHI...Mark and Libby are the lovely hosts and the whole team there is extremely nice and friendly. We fell in love, as do most of the guests, and have returned every year. Planning our 9th visit now.

It will definitely fill the bill for some much needed luxury!
Yes we narrowed our destination down to SOL, Capella and a few others...SOL has been a dream destination for a while so we chose it. Wanted to experience the koalas and roos etc...we can't wait!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
Do not love the location of the Langham. Had a fabulous stay at the Park Hyatt in August. The rooms are fabulous. Only Park Hyatt complaint for us would be the food. Breakfast and tea were really sub-par, although they assured us they were aware of the problem and would be getting a new chef soon. Honestly, PH is worth every penny!!!
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:58 am
Suspended

Not exactly an original or recent conundrum, but I have a week in SYD and I'm currently deciding between FS, PH, and Langham. Decisions, decisions...
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Not exactly an original or recent conundrum, but I have a week in SYD and I'm currently deciding between FS, PH, and Langham. Decisions, decisions...
I really liked the PH - but it's a bit of a walk to everything. The Langham is in a much quieter part of town, but probably about the same amount of walking/cab rides to things you want to do.

I was in SYD at the same time as the VIVID festival in May/June, so there was a bunch of stuff right outside the PH, which made it feel right in the middle of things rather than feeling it was on the outside of everything.

I also liked the small hotel feel of the PH.

If you're there for a week, try them all and let us know which we should pick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.