Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OSAKA St. Regis VS Intercontinental

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 1:27 am
Original Poster

OSAKA St. Regis VS Intercontinental

I'm going to Osaka for leisure some time in January, the last time I've been to Osaka was in 2010 and stayed at the Hotel Nikko near Shinsaibashi.

I'm going to visit Osaka again very soon and still deciding which hotel to stay, either the St. Regis or the Intercontinental. I know that the Ritz-Carlton is also a top hotel in Osaka, but since the rate isn't that attractive, so I've excluded it on my list. Now, SR and IC offered me very similar rate, that's why I'm still deciding...

I also know that the SR opened in 2010, it stays at the top Osaka ever since along with the RC. It also situated about 15 minutes from Shinsabashi, which is good. The newly opened IC is also good from pictures, it is right on top on the also newly opened shopping mall in Umeda.

Has anyone stayed in both or either SR or IC?

I'm an IC Ambassador and if I stay at IC, I'm sure I'll get upgrade. But personally I think SR is one level above IC, so if they're at the same price, is it really SR the better one?

Since the Osaka IC is very new, I can't find much comparison between the IC and the SR...
Old Dec 23, 2013, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...tal-osaka.html
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by colinedison
I'm going to Osaka for leisure some time in January, the last time I've been to Osaka was in 2010 and stayed at the Hotel Nikko near Shinsaibashi.

I'm going to visit Osaka again very soon and still deciding which hotel to stay, either the St. Regis or the Intercontinental. I know that the Ritz-Carlton is also a top hotel in Osaka, but since the rate isn't that attractive, so I've excluded it on my list. Now, SR and IC offered me very similar rate, that's why I'm still deciding...

I also know that the SR opened in 2010, it stays at the top Osaka ever since along with the RC. It also situated about 15 minutes from Shinsabashi, which is good. The newly opened IC is also good from pictures, it is right on top on the also newly opened shopping mall in Umeda.

Has anyone stayed in both or either SR or IC?

I'm an IC Ambassador and if I stay at IC, I'm sure I'll get upgrade. But personally I think SR is one level above IC, so if they're at the same price, is it really SR the better one?

Since the Osaka IC is very new, I can't find much comparison between the IC and the SR...
Is the Ritz-Carlton that much more expensive? Although I am not a fan of its decor, it is otherwise a very nice, comfortable hotel. F&B is also very good. I would sooner pay a premium for the R-C than try IC or St. Regis.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I know that the suite at the SR with the butler service was great when I stayed there last year. The GM came in from one of the Italian properties. I certainly would recommend it.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 10:00 pm

I'm booked for 4 nights in a Club Suite at the Ritz Osaka and it looks kind of... boring.

I'm thinking of switching elsewhere but I'm not sure what to sub for. When I travel, I like to stay in places that are reflective of the surrounding environs. The Ritz looks like a very boring Western style hotel that could be anywhere in the world. I also don't really like how they went for the classic style decor as if it were some historic grand dame city hotel, when it fact, it's an ugly looking modern building. All of this is putting me off our reservations at the Ritz.

Could anyone offer some other options that perhaps feel a bit more... Japanese? In the luxury category but with more character and hopefully some embodiment of Osaka. I like historic/heritage buildings. I don't want to stay in a ryokan (not sure there are any in Osaka) because we booked them for the majority of our trip, so the luxuries of a modern hotel will be much appreciated on this leg of our journey. I can either go for ultra high end modern (like our booking at The Pen, which seems entirely reflective of Tokyo!) or something more low-key and with a bit of history.

The more photos I see of the Ritz on TA, the more I dislike it. It seems like a bland expensive brand name property with zero atmosphere or character. Am I right?

I should add that location is important to me as well.

To the OP: sorry to hijack but I hope any feedback directed to this can be of help to you as well!
Old Dec 24, 2013, 10:11 pm

Here's a photo of the "Club Suite" taken from their website:

How boring and bland can you get? It also worries me that they don't show the rest of the 820 sq. ft. room (highest category next to the exorbitantly priced specialty suites) and that the supposedly panormaic corner view is photographed with the blinds shut. That can't be a good sign. The Japanese Suite looks great but costs an arm and a leg. I doubt we'll get upgraded from Club Suite to JSuite so unless anyone can convince me why I shouldn't, or why RC is the best option for high end accomodations in Osaka, I'm starting to look elsewhere.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by OliverB
The Japanese Suite looks great but costs an arm and a leg. I doubt we'll get upgraded from Club Suite to JSuite so unless anyone can convince me why I shouldn't, or why RC is the best option for high end accomodations in Osaka, I'm starting to look elsewhere.
Why should anyone care to convince you to stay at the Ritz-Carlton?

FWIW, there are no exceptional hotels in Osaka. The St. Regis is the only one that might compare to the R-C.

I agree that the decor is awful, but keep in mind that the hotel is designed for a Japanese clientele. At least two of the restsurants (french and chinese) have michelin stars, and the Japanese restaurant Hanagatami may as well, although I do not recall. Hanagatami has an excellent Teppanyaki counter.

I assure you that the views are panoramic and unobstructed. The rooms and suites are also spacious and comfortable, not withstanding those hideous drapes.

Also, there have been low rates on Japanese suite.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:59 pm

Thank you Mike, have you seen the Japanese Suite in person and what did you think?

Is the St. Regis a nicer looking hotel than the Ritz in terms of the building itself, decor, etc? The location is not as ideal as the RC, but I would be curious to see a comparative review of both properties. I must admit that I'm bit biased and have sworn off the St. Regis chain for good after the worst hotel stay of my entire life at the flagship Manhattan property this past summer (where I've been a loyal guest and even a corp. account holder for many years). I know that might sound extreme and perhaps even unfair to other managed properties, but my experience was abysmal enough to warrant it. I am still curious to hear how the two properties stack up against one another though.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

search osaka in posts by hailstorm
Old Dec 25, 2013, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
search osaka in posts by hailstorm
Thanks, he seems to be a big fan of the Club level. Even claiming it's the best he's experienced from any RC property worldwide. Sounds pretty good!

I haven't found anything better yet and the price we booked is excellent, so unless anyone else has options to suggest, I suppose we'll stick with our current res. I was hoping for something with a bit more local character, but that doesn't really seem to exist in Osaka at a high end level.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 1:44 pm

Thanks, he seems to be a big fan of the Club level. Even claiming it's the best he's experienced from any RC property worldwide. Sounds pretty good!

I haven't found anything better yet and the price we booked is excellent, so unless anyone else has options to suggest, I suppose we'll stick with our current res. I was hoping for something with a bit more local character, but that doesn't really seem to exist in Osaka at a high end level.
Will you be staying in Kyoto as well? If so, staying at a Ryokan might be a nice experience.

I have never been in the Japanese suites, but the parts of R-C Osaka that are decorated in a Japanese style are beautifully done, so I am sure the suites are very nice. They are on some of the highest floors of the hotel.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 3:50 pm

Thanks again Mike, that's good to know!

And yes, we'll be staying 3 nights at the Hiiragiya in Kyoto and 2 nights at the Hyatt Regency. We're actually staying at the HR first because I thought it would be nice to have a Western style room and bed after 6 consecutive nights in different ryokan properties to the north. We also have a number of much anticipated restaurants that we're planning on visiting, so I figured it would be a waste to stay at a ryokan with a meal plan if we're planning on eating out. The HR looks like a beautiful property and I'm told that it could well be a Park Hyatt despite it's classification. After 2 nights at the Hyatt, we're checking into the Hiiragiya for the remainder of our stay in Kyoto and very much looking forward to it. Then on to Nara for one night (Imperial Suite at the historic Nara Hotel) and the Ritz in Osaka. I'll inquire about the JSuite rates with my TA this week. JTB negotiated a really fantastic deal on our Club Suite, so perhaps we'll be able to upgrade for a reasonable cost. If not, it sounds like we'll be very satisfied nonetheless.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
The HR looks like a beautiful property and I'm told that it could well be a Park Hyatt despite it's classification.
No. The HR Kyoto is a lovely hotel, punching above its weight, but unless you're staying in the fifth floor suites (which are so closely guarded that they won't let you upgrade into them), the basement garden rooms, or the 1-2 rooms at the edges of the property, the rooms are tiny.

It is a refit of the former Kyoto Park Hotel, and they kept the entire layout except redoing all the interiors, which are nice and attractive, but not luxe.

Service is very good, which makes it a favorite of every white water buffalo traipsing through Kyoto in their wa-disturbing activities. The breakfast room is quite nice.

Having said that, for the time being, it remains probably the best Western hotel in Kyoto, until the FS opens at some point, I hope before we've all gone to that great hot tub in the sky. The Westin Miyako is hit-and-miss, and the "other guest" situation is even more stressful. The Miyako's Japanese wing, though, designed by Murano Togo, is not only really neat, it's now registered as an "important cultural property".
Old Dec 28, 2013, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm told that it could well be a Park Hyatt despite it's classification.
PH and GH have specific requirements >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post21498883

Originally Posted by Pickles
It is a refit of the former Kyoto Park Hotel, and they kept the entire layout except redoing all the interiors
which opened in 1980? then became hyatt in 2006. apparently changed owners in feb 2013.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 8:52 pm

Thanks Pickles,

We're booked in an Exec King Suite. My TA had made the Park Hyatt comparison based on customer feedback I guess. I believe the Exec Suites are the ones that you describe on the top floor.

The Ritz will actually be open by the time our trip kicks off, but based on the photos I've seen, I'm just not that fond of the design and while I may eat my words upon actually seeing the Hyatt in person, I like the overall aesthetic moreso than the RC Kyoto.

I didn't know that a Four Seasons was opening as well; do you have any info with re. to dates? Is it slated for 2014?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.