Encantado - An Auberge Resort

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2008, 9:05 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Encantado - An Auberge Resort

Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe

198 State Road 592 Santa Fe, NM US 87506

Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe (0 Photo)

I’ve recently returned from a long weekend at the new Auberge resort, Encantado. I’ve always wanted to visit Santa Fe, but have been less than impressed with the high end hotels/resorts in the area. So when Encantado opened and I was able to secure a discount rate with breakfast (thanks to DavidO), it seemed like a good time to visit.

Overall, the stay was good, not great or spectacular, but good.

Several days prior to our arrival, I received a call from one of their concierges, asking if I would like any help with reservations and the like. I thought this was a nice, proactive touch. I did make a couple of restaurant reservations and requested some information about cultural and hiking activities in and around Santa Fe and everything was handled perfectly.

The resort is about 15 minutes north of Santa Fe and is in a lovely, picturesque area. When we drove into the place, my first reaction was that the resort was lovely, but small. Granted, the place has only 60 or so rooms, but those rooms and all of the facilities are packed into a very tiny area. The resort is shaped like a crescent, with most of the main buildings in the interior. The villas all have balconies or decks that face in, also toward the center. Herein lies my biggest issue with the place: since all rooms face in, no matter what kind of room you are in (and we were in a suite, their highest room category), you are guaranteed a parking lot and building view. Granted, some of the rooms (like ours) did have a nice view of the surrounding mountains, but I feel that this is somewhat detracted from since you will have to look over cars and buildings and the road in order to see anything. Furthermore, the resort has opted against a central parking lot in order to allow guests to park in front of their rooms. So, not only do you get to look at the cars when you are sitting on your deck, but you get to see people getting into and out of those cars - and they can see you. Want some privacy on your deck? Not gonna happen. The parking situation really seems unnecessary given that you can easily walk from one end of the resort to the other in 5 minutes, so they could have located the parking area away from the rooms and it really would not have been an huge inconvenience to walk or take a buggy to the room (and if they had removed the cars and the asphalt road from the center of the resort and replaced them with landscaping, it would have felt like you are the desert, not a parking lot). The layout of the rooms is such that you park in front of your room (this is where the deck is), but you have to walk around to the back to enter the room. I actually enjoyed the views off of the back more than those off of the front, but there was no place in the back to sit and enjoy the view.

Room

The rooms themselves are very well done. As mentioned above, we were in a suite, which is made up of a living area and a sleeping area separated by a set of double doors. You could leave the doors open and have one large space or keep them closed to keep the rooms separate. Glass doors off of both the living and bedroom areas lead to a double deck, with two chaise longues and a small dining table with chairs. There is a powder room next to the entrance and a bathroom off of the bedroom. The main bathroom was a mixed bag - I loved the heated concrete floors, but the spacious shower only had one underpowered shower head and was so large and dark that it seemed like I was showering in a cave. There is a very large soaking tub, but the hot water heater that services the room is insufficient to fill the tub more than a quarter before the water turns cold. The room has an interior wood burning fireplace and one outside on the deck as well. As with all Auberge resorts, there is a mini-bar with complimentary non-alcoholic beverages, one of those pod coffee machines and free (and fast!) wi-fi. The rooms have the now-standard 42 inch flat screen (there were two in the suite), DVD player and ipod docking station.

Service

The service was fine - certainly not Aman or Four Seasons service, but there were no gaffes made either. I was somewhat surprised at the lack of management presence at the place - given that they have been open only around a month, I would have expected to see managers everywhere, making sure that everything was running well and mingling with guests. I did not see one. Housekeeping was fine - we always call and request specific times for our daily cleaning and turndown and they were able to get this right every day. One thing that surprised me was that there was no pool service at all. Every morning, towels were set on the chairs by the pool and that was pretty much it. There is a service area and bar behind the pool, but this was empty the entire time that we were there. If you wanted water by the pool, you had to go back to the gym to get it. If you wanted food, or anything to drink other than water, I think you were out of luck.

Amenities

For the most part, the facilities and design of the resort are well done. I think you could call the whole thing ‘cowboy lite’ since there is a southwest accent to the entire place, but it is offset with other design elements that are almost European. One area where the design is really disappointing is the pool. I admit that I am a pool junkie and I was hoping for a well designed infinity edge one here. However, the resort has chosen to install a small, somewhat ugly lap pool instead. It really looks like something one would see at in apartment complex. If you like to relax around a lovely pool with wonderful service, this is not the place for you. There is a nice, well equipped gym and a movement studio. The spa is lovely, with nice common areas (there is a separate relaxation area for men and women as well as a common area). Treatment rooms are functional, but not spectacular. I did not have a treatment, so cannot comment on the quality there.

Dining

We ate at their one restaurant every morning for breakfast and once for dinner. Both breakfast and dinner were fine - nothing really extraordinary, but better than average for resort food. The service in the restaurant was excellent. The restaurant has a nice outdoor area with a large circular couch surrounding a fire pit (it looked like a lovely area, but they never had a fire going in the pit, so we did not really use it).

Shuttle Service

Encantado has a very thoughtful (and complimentary) shuttle service that runs from the resort to downtown Santa Fe (and back) around every 15 minutes or so. There is also a concierge lounge in Santa Fe. I thought this was a nice touch, and made visiting Santa Fe much less stressful.

Overall

So, finally, the big question that I ask myself after visiting a resort is ‘would I return?’. In this case I would have to say no. Like I said, nothing was terrible, but nothing was really spectacular either. And the ‘parking lot view’ from every room is enough to make me not want to come back. For all it’s faults (and it has many), I find FS Scottsdale to be a more enjoyable desert resort experience (at least at the FS I feel like I am in the desert). Next time I will go back there (or wait for Amangiri!).

Would you like to write a review on the Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:35 am

Encantado

I found this fascinating, as I stayed at the old Rancho Encantado around 20 years ago and, from what you say, not much has changed. The main pool was tiny (not a lap pool, but semi-circular). We, too, stayed in a suite, which in those days was very southwestern - more to do with 'authenticity' than comfort. The setting is beautiful, so I am surprised they sullied it with car parking bays. Hmm.

The investors behind this resort are Canyon Equity, who also invest in the US Amans, so I wonder how happy they are with this.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
thanks so much for the review! we got a mailer from auberge and flirted with spending some time there this month, but ultimately decided to go for the tried and true (we'll spend six nights at esperanza in november) instead.

after your review, i'm especially happy we chose the way we did. i was curious why there weren't more pictures of the property on the website. now perhaps i know why...the parking lot view would have been a big problem for us as well, not to mention the hot water that ran out before you could fill the tub.

just read your post to StinkyCheese and he said to be sure to add 'thank you, thank you, thank you!' to my response.

Last edited by karenkay; Oct 12, 2008 at 7:37 pm Reason: hubby wanted to chime in.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 8:37 pm
Original Member

Stayed there about 10 years ago, back when it was Rancho Encantado. Food used to be fantastic southwestern in the dining room and cafe. The casitas were nice southwestern, but nothing spectacular. But the highlight of staying there used to be taking the horses out onto the mountain ridges for some spectacular views.

Agree that putting parking near all the casitas hardly seems to have made it a luxe resort.

Oh, and as to the resort "deciding to install" an ugly pool, I doubt that they did. I suspect this is simply the pool from the old resort, which they decided not to replace.

Last edited by Djlawman; Oct 12, 2008 at 8:49 pm
Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:22 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thanks to xracer for the trip report. This would seem to be a perfect opportunity to test the new photographic options in Luxury Forums.
Thanks for any cooperation and launching this new tool.
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:06 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Thanks for this interesting post!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 4:35 pm

Smile Auberge Esperanza

Hello! I'm somewhat new here, and for the life of me I can't find the "start new thread" icon! So I have to post my question as a reply.

Been looking into Auberge Esperanza in Cabo San Lucas. Has anyone been there? If so, what do you think overall? Any details would be greately appreciated, too.

Thanks!!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 6:05 am

To what extent do you think the wrinkles were due to the property being newly opened? Obviously they can't do anything about the parking lot view, but the rest of it?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:06 am

xracer, have you stayed in any other Auberge resorts? Just wondering if similar experience to the other resorts?
I have stayed at the Auberge du soleil and had a great stay with great suite, spectacular food and service.
I have always found auberge to be west coast company only!!
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:51 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bigmerv
To what extent do you think the wrinkles were due to the property being newly opened? Obviously they can't do anything about the parking lot view, but the rest of it?
My hunch is that the service has probably improved greatly since I was there. Futher, I assume that all of the physical plant issues that I detailed will still be there.

Originally Posted by BaumeMercier
xracer, have you stayed in any other Auberge resorts? Just wondering if similar experience to the other resorts?
I have stayed at the Auberge du soleil and had a great stay with great suite, spectacular food and service.
I have always found auberge to be west coast company only!!
The only other Auberge I have visited is the Inn at Palmetto Bluff. I have been there a number of times. IMO, that place is fantastic across the board. From a service and physical plant perspective, Inn at Palmett Bluff has it all over Encantado (but like I said, service at the latter has probably improved).
Old Mar 29, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Originally Posted by ATJ422
Hello! I'm somewhat new here, and for the life of me I can't find the "start new thread" icon! So I have to post my question as a reply.

Been looking into Auberge Esperanza in Cabo San Lucas. Has anyone been there? If so, what do you think overall? Any details would be greately appreciated, too.

Thanks!!
I just got back from Esperanza last week. It is a great resort. What would you like to know? You may want to start a new thread as this thread is about another Auberge resort.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 9:56 pm

Auberge Esperanza

Originally Posted by Valveking
I just got back from Esperanza last week. It is a great resort. What would you like to know? You may want to start a new thread as this thread is about another Auberge resort.
Valveking - would love to start a new thread, but I can't find the icon to "start a new thread."
I would like to know what kind of room you stayed in, what you thought of the food and restaurants, if there was anything included, what the spa was like, what their overall service was like, pool area, beach area, night life, etc. And, was it worth what you spent?

We're planning a trip to the Maldives next year, and that is VERY expensive.

I'm glad you had a great time...thanks in advance for your thoughts on Esperanza!
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:24 pm
Original Member

Valveking - would love to start a new thread, but I can't find the icon to "start a new thread."
You may be searching new threads, and the start new thread button would not appear.

To start a new thread, you have to be in a specific forum (i.e., Luxury Hotels, or American Advantage, or Hilton Hotels, etc.)

To post a new thread in Luxury Hotels, do the following:

1 flyertalk.com

2. At the top, says "Jump to ......" Click "Travel & Dining"

this brings up a list of forums.

Scroll down to "luxury Hotels" Click on that forum.

3) Now, you will get a list of threads about specific luxury hotels, or specific questions.

At the top left above the threads, there is a button "Start New Thread"

Click on that.

Title your thread, and insert text.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I would like to know what kind of room you stayed in, what you thought of the food and restaurants, if there was anything included, what the spa was like, what their overall service was like, pool area, beach area, night life, etc. And, was it worth what you spent?

We're planning a trip to the Maldives next year, and that is VERY expensive.

I'm glad you had a great time...thanks in advance for your thoughts on Esperanza!
We stayed in a 3 bedroom oceanfront villa with our 2 kids on the residence side.

We had room service breakfast on our terrace every morning which was excellent.

They have 3 restaurants. The flagship is called El Restaurante which has a striking setting. It is carved into the rock cliffs that cascade down toward the ocean. The food is good-not great, but much more reasonably priced than the flagships at Las Ventanas and Palmilla which are shockingly expensive. The other restaurants all have good consistent casual fare.

The pools are amazing. The hotel has a beautiful tiered adults only infinity pool that is very peaceful. The villa side has two large free form infinity pools that my kids just loved. They both have swim up bars where you can drink and eat lunch.

Service around the pools is excellent if not quite as good as the Four Seasons Punta Mita which we have been to several times in the last few years. On the whole, the service at the resort is great and much superior to all of the Caribbean resorts that we have visited.

Esperanza has 2 rocky non-swimmable beaches which are quite picturesque, but if you are a beach bum, I would look elsewhere.

My wife went to the spa and was very impressed with both spa and her treatments.

On the whole, we loved the resort and would love to return. I would put put it a tiny click behind the FS Punta Mita, but that is only because Punta Mita is so fabulous.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:35 am

Wink

Originally Posted by Valveking
We stayed in a 3 bedroom oceanfront villa with our 2 kids on the residence side.

We had room service breakfast on our terrace every morning which was excellent.

They have 3 restaurants. The flagship is called El Restaurante which has a striking setting. It is carved into the rock cliffs that cascade down toward the ocean. The food is good-not great, but much more reasonably priced than the flagships at Las Ventanas and Palmilla which are shockingly expensive. The other restaurants all have good consistent casual fare.

The pools are amazing. The hotel has a beautiful tiered adults only infinity pool that is very peaceful. The villa side has two large free form infinity pools that my kids just loved. They both have swim up bars where you can drink and eat lunch.

Service around the pools is excellent if not quite as good as the Four Seasons Punta Mita which we have been to several times in the last few years. On the whole, the service at the resort is great and much superior to all of the Caribbean resorts that we have visited.

Esperanza has 2 rocky non-swimmable beaches which are quite picturesque, but if you are a beach bum, I would look elsewhere.

My wife went to the spa and was very impressed with both spa and her treatments.

On the whole, we loved the resort and would love to return. I would put put it a tiny click behind the FS Punta Mita, but that is only because Punta Mita is so fabulous.

Hope this helps.
Wow. Thank you so much!! that helps tremendously!! Esperanza has been one of the places we've been wanting to visit. Muchas Gracias! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.