Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

New Mandarin Oriental Program (similar to FSPP & STARS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver

This might be old news, but I did not see a thread on it. Please feel free to merge or delete my post if necessary.

On May 3rd, Mandarin Oriental will launch a new program to recognize their preferred travel agencies. The perks to clients of those preferred agencies include:

• One category room upgrade, subject to availability at time of check-in
  • Complimentary Continental breakfast for two daily
  • Personalized welcome amenity
  • Personalized welcome note on behalf of the travel agent from the Senior property management team
  • Priority waitlist clearance
  • No walk policy

These perks may also be combined with Virtuoso amenities. I don't have too many other details at this point.

Last edited by MarshKing; Apr 21, 2010 at 12:36 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the big question - does 2BR villa upgrade to 4BR presidential at sanya? or premier central park suite to 2BR taipan suite at NY?

there are probably at least a couple upgrades that are better than current programs.

priorty waitlist clearance and no walk are interesting/unique. you dont plan for it, but could be very helpful.

speaking of STARS, when are they going to finalize the new details?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 21, 2010 at 5:36 pm
Old Apr 21, 2010, 3:04 pm

no walks?

What does "no walk" mean?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 3:30 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by brooking
What does "no walk" mean?
I would imagine this means if you book the MO through a preferred travel agency, in the case of an oversell, you will not be "walked" to another hotel nearby. You will be guaranteed a room at that MO property.

I think this program is a little skimpy compared to RC and FS.....
Old Apr 21, 2010, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

would certainly hope RC STARS is better if they come up with an FSPP style standard.. but who knows.

personally, if there are not upgrade limits, thats a ^

Originally Posted by DavidO
This is still the stuff of rumor, but the word I hear is that Ritz-Carlton will be enhancing their STARS amenity program in 4Q 2009. No specifics yet, but the rumor concerns inventory-controlled upgrades at time of booking, if available, for reservations made through STARS agencies. STARS amenities already include complimentary continental breakfast for two when booked at published, non-promotional rates (i.e., BAR) and 4 p.m. late check-out.
Originally Posted by MarshKing
An upgrade is not an official benefit of the [STARS] program.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 21, 2010 at 3:44 pm
Old Apr 22, 2010, 1:55 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
  • One category room upgrade, subject to availability at time of check-in
  • Complimentary Continental breakfast for two daily
  • Personalized welcome amenity
  • Personalized welcome note on behalf of the travel agent from the Senior property management team
  • Priority waitlist clearance
  • No walk policy
This is essentially identical to Ritz-Carlton STARS - and great news because not all MO hotels are Virtuoso or members of another consortium.

"No walk" means that if you book through a MOPP, they absolutely guarantee you a room, even if they are oversold.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:35 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Fan Club

I have the name of the MO Preferred Partner program — Fan Club. It will launch in May, and 18 agencies have been invited. In addition to what has previously been disclosed, MO will have a dedicated reservations number, a 24-hour "ambassador" at each property (similar to RC's "guardian angels"), and will commission spa bookings.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if they did priority spa reservations, that would be great.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
www.MandarinOriental.com/fanclub will be the site. Not sure how they'll manage access, or whether anything will be viewable by the public. (I am guessing that it will be password protected, but who knows.) The site is not live yet, but hopefully it will be up and running by launch date.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:54 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
if they did priority spa reservations, that would be great.
That's interesting, because I have the opposite view: a feature whose cost/benefit comes solely from taking something away from other customers should be discouraged.

It isn't a real benefit to me unless it costs the supplier something. So a spa discount is a benefit, taking away a spa reservation from another customer (the only case in which you'd need this priority) isn't.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hmm, is it that different from priority waitlist clearance, no walk (or FSPP priority upgrade) ?

agents could pass on (part of) commission on spa bookings.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 23, 2010 at 9:10 am
Old May 5, 2010, 4:52 pm

Programs: LHW FS BA LH and other things
well the site is live, and I am now a member. Nothing else to report other than the above benefits.
Old May 5, 2010, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Luxetravels
well the site is live, and I am now a member. Nothing else to report other than the above benefits.
Are you a travel agent?
Old May 5, 2010, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Luxetravels
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Are you a travel agent?
On May 3rd, Mandarin Oriental will launch a new program to recognize their preferred travel agencies.
FSPP / virtuoso on this forum (in FSPP thread) - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11707310-post55.html
Old May 5, 2010, 6:25 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
the big question - does 2BR villa upgrade to 4BR presidential at sanya? or premier central park suite to 2BR taipan suite at NY?
It says Room upgrade so technically anything other than a room doesn't need to be upgraded. However whenever I booked a suite at an MO we received an upgrade to a higher category suite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.