Search

Park Hyatt and other Beijing luxury lotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2009, 12:02 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Park Hyatt and other Beijing luxury lotels

After reading through the various threads on Beijing hotels (Peninsula, Raffles, Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis) and looking at the properties mentioned, I must say that none of them really seems outstanding (I know how snobbish that sounds...)

I have an upcoming weekend in Beijing (tourist visit) in May and it seems that - with the MO unfortunately gone - the new Park Hyatt and the Aman at Summer Palace would be the two places closest to my personal taste. The PH bears the risk that it has just been opened. Any reviews on those two or other recommendations?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 2:13 pm
Community Director Emerita

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html
Old Apr 16, 2009, 9:06 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just back from the PH Beijing yesterday and my comments are in the thread referenced above.

The GH actually has the best location for touristic reasons -- easy walking distance to Tienanmen Square, Forbidden City, and Wangfujiang shopping street.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 7:40 am
formerly vienna-resident
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

thanks for the link - i did not think of the hyatt-forum...
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by vienna-resident
After reading through the various threads on Beijing hotels (Peninsula, Raffles, Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis) and looking at the properties mentioned, I must say that none of them really seems outstanding (I know how snobbish that sounds...)

I have an upcoming weekend in Beijing (tourist visit) in May and it seems that - with the MO unfortunately gone - the new Park Hyatt and the Aman at Summer Palace would be the two places closest to my personal taste. The PH bears the risk that it has just been opened. Any reviews on those two or other recommendations?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
I had a friend who stay 3 nights in Aman Beijing.

He raved about the Naoki, saying that was the best meal he had among the amans he visited. He also enjoyed the theatre experience.The staff served snacks and drinks during the movie

He received an upgrade to the court yard room and thought the room was neither comfortable nor spacious. Bathrooms are not the usual standard of aman elsewhere. In his opinion, the service was not where it should be yet and the GM was on the case.

That is all I know. Hope it will help.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA: Concierge Key; Air China: Gold; Marriott/SPG: Lifetime Plat; Hyatt: Globalist; Hilton: Diamond
Any updates from Aman at Summer Palace?

I am heading there for Xmas, and need some good advices.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the main problem with the Aman will continue to be the one thing they cannot change: location. Great for the Summer Palace, lousy for everything else, although at least it should now be accessible by public transit with the completion of the new subway line.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:21 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
There's a new shangri-la about to open in Q1 2010. The highest in Beijing. Looks quite promising.

http://www.shangri-la.com/en/propert...orldsummitwing
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
The Peninsula is underwhelming in beijing. Great location and a pretty damn good concierge floor, but so-so bar and most of the rooms are lousy. My opinion is improved because I upgraded to a duplex suite, but if you are staying in a normal room class, they are pretty pedestrian and forgetable.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:14 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
The Peninsula is underwhelming in beijing. Great location and a pretty damn good concierge floor, but so-so bar and most of the rooms are lousy. My opinion is improved because I upgraded to a duplex suite, but if you are staying in a normal room class, they are pretty pedestrian and forgetable.
Yep - location is the best thing about it (though the restaurants aren't bad either).
Old Dec 23, 2009, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I agree with most of your facts but come to the opposite conclusion -- that the Peninsula Beijing can be a very comfortable place to stay. As you say, the Duplex Suite is an extremely nice room by most any standard, and represents excellent accommodations. Moreover, the location is very convenient, and the service is good for the area. The fact that the standard room is so-so seems rather besides the point if one wants more deluxe accommodations, as the original poster seems to, and doesn't mind paying for it.

My advice would be to book the Duplex Suite at the Peninsula, which I suspect will still be less than the Aman, but much more central. The Peninsula is a different experience than an Aman, but for most people it will better serve their purpose for travelling to Beijing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.