Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Certificates

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2001, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Upgrade Certificates

I am flying from NY to FRA over Christmas on a UA issued V Economy ticket. The plane is actually LH metal. Is it possible to upgrade this ticket with UA miles or a SWU? If not, how do I upgrade to Business on this flight?

Thanks
Old Nov 15, 2001, 9:15 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
If it is an LH flight number you can use LH miles. If it is booked under UA number you MIGHT be able to use an LH voucher (christmas / other paper upgrade at the airport).

Otherwise pay about 2000.- DM per segment more :-(
Old Nov 15, 2001, 12:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
with UA miles or a SWU?

No ( and please don't shoot the messanger).

... may be some swiss chocolates helps? (not really either, no).

and LH miles and vouchers can get you confirmed upgrades only if the flight is also booked as a LH flight number (not a UA code-share flight number, but you can still try your chances then at the gate, and some times it works then).
Old Nov 16, 2001, 9:41 pm
msn

On a UA ticket, does it not have to be H, M, B or Y to be upgradeable with miles?
Old Nov 17, 2001, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold
msn: that is correct. UA has these restrictions for upgrades with miles, while LH allows upgrades with miles for all fares. Excluded are award tix or already upgraded fares like I. However, there was the exception of the famous PremEx operational upgrade from a C award ticket to F...

[This message has been edited by Mizu (edited 11-17-2001).]
Old Dec 15, 2001, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
On the same line of questioning... I had to book a December DEN-ORD-FRA-ARN flight back in June due to expiring vouchers. I've noticed that these were Y-class tickets. Here are three questions:

1. If I'm not a M&M member, can I purchase upgrade certificates?

2. If so, how much would it cost for the ORD-FRA leg? Can I purchase them on the same day I am flying?

3. The ORD-FRA flight is on UA metal, but with a LH codeshare number. Would LH upgrade certificates be valid?

Of course, this may be a moot point. Economy is very overbooked, and we are trying to get bumped to get enough voucher money for a return trip to Sweden in the summer.

Cheers,
Lawrence

[This message has been edited by pseudoswede (edited 12-15-2001).]
Old Dec 15, 2001, 1:52 pm
Original Member

you can't buy (and you can't transfer for non accompanying passengers) LH upgrades.
Old Dec 16, 2001, 9:39 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:
you can't buy (and you can't transfer for non accompanying passengers) LH upgrades.</font>
To my knowledge all status holders with LH can transfer awards including upgrades to anyone for private travel. The 50k voucher are not transferable.
Old Dec 16, 2001, 1:44 pm
Original Member

peter42: correct, I can upgrade anyone I want with my miles, but I can't transfer upgrade vouchers.

In another post I mentioned that LH allowed me officially (at booking time already confirmed) to use a 50K voucher from Gisela to be combined with one of myself for a transatlantic upgrade (same last name).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.