Search

Q. about upgrading to business class?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2008, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M
Q. about upgrading to business class?

hi there.

sorry if this is very basic question, but.. i have a bunch of miles that i have accumulated via M&M credit card and i want to use them to upgrade my economy ticket to business class. (i dont have the economy ticket yet).

i called LH M&M USA office today and asked them how the upgrade process would work. they told me i have to buy an economy ticket first and after that they would try and upgrade me and if it wouldn't go through, i'd be on the wait list. i asked them if its possible to know in advance if the flight has upgrade availability in business and they said "NO". thats not what i wanted to hear. what i wanted to hear was "let us tell you which flights have upgrade availability so that your upgrade would go through right away". am i nuts for thinking that is how it should work? i have a feeling the person on the phone either mis-understood me or just wanted to blow me off.

anyways, i been using expertflyer for a while (for my AA travel), but seems that to get LH upgrade space info, i need KVS, right. the question is what is the award business class that i need to look for on KVS? is it I? so if i find a flight with I class availability and try to get upgraded, my miles upgrade should go through right away or would i still be on the wait list and they would be saving that upgrade space for somebody with a higher priority?

thanks..
Old Nov 14, 2008, 1:40 am

Programs: *A Gold, OWE
"I"class on LH would be the class for an business award/upgrade.
So the answer would be yes.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheAirman
"I"class on LH would be the class for an business award/upgrade.
So the answer would be yes.
so M&M operator was wrong or mis-understood me? *sigh*

ok, i'll go get KVS tool going and see where it takes me from there. thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2008, 2:03 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jkb76
i have a bunch of miles that i have accumulated via M&M credit card and i want to use them to upgrade my economy ticket to business class. (i dont have the economy ticket yet).
If you have a lot of miles to burn it would be better to go for a business award ticket than buying an economy ticket and upgrade. The only exception would be if someone else is paying for your economy ticket. Have you looked at the M&M award and upgrade charts to check how many miles you'll need?
Old Nov 14, 2008, 2:10 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
If you have a lot of miles to burn it would be better to go for a business award ticket than buying an economy ticket and upgrade. The only exception would be if someone else is paying for your economy ticket. Have you looked at the M&M award and upgrade charts to check how many miles you'll need?
First, I will endorse Newbie Runner's suggestion.

Secondly, it is very easy to check whether there is availability: Just try to book an award on M&M. Whenever there is availability in I, the flights will show up.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 3:59 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
First, I will endorse Newbie Runner's suggestion.

Secondly, it is very easy to check whether there is availability: Just try to book an award on M&M. Whenever there is availability in I, the flights will show up.
Another alternative is the ANA award availability tool. It's even better than the M&M one IMHO.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 4:48 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by totti
Another alternative is the ANA award availability tool. It's even better than the M&M one IMHO.
Other than not showing availability on LX. Or have they fixed this by now?
Old Nov 14, 2008, 5:04 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Other than not showing availability on LX. Or have they fixed this by now?
NO, they haven't.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 2:52 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the question is what is the award business class that i need to look for on KVS? is it I?
Using KVS Tool, it would be the CS (I) class, using the Awards/StarAlliance Method.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KVS
Using KVS Tool, it would be the CS (I) class, using the Awards/StarAlliance Method.
thanks.. what does CS mean?

Last edited by jkb76; Nov 14, 2008 at 5:19 pm
Old Nov 14, 2008, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
hmm.. interesting. so here is the math. i have 200,000 miles (15% of them from BIS).

a round trip in business would cost me 90,000 -- so i have enough for two round trip business tickets from SFO to MUC. which is great the not-so-great part is that i need to go past MUC to KBP. i dont mind paying for MUC-KBP leg separately (either with miles or cash), but my question is: can these two legs be later combined into one PNR?
Old Nov 14, 2008, 6:44 pm

...the not-so-great part is that i need to go past MUC to KBP. i dont mind paying for MUC-KBP leg separately (either with miles or cash), but my question is: can these two legs be later combined into one PNR?
you can just get a C award from SFO to KBP for the 90k @:-)
Old Nov 14, 2008, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sentom
you can just get a C award from SFO to KBP for the 90k @:-)
are you sure? it sounds like the award is "per leg" and since SFO to KBP is two legs (SFO-MUC & MUC-KBP), that C award round trip would be 180K miles.

well, at least thats how it was explained to me by M&M operator when i called them up today.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 8:04 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
are you sure? it sounds like the award is "per leg" and since SFO to KBP is two legs (SFO-MUC & MUC-KBP), that C award round trip would be 180K miles.

well, at least thats how it was explained to me by M&M operator when i called them up today.
It is not per leg. You can do KBP-MUC-SFO-LAS and back for example as one award, one PNR, one ticket, 90k miles. @:-)
Old Nov 14, 2008, 8:09 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
a round trip in business would cost me 90,000 -- so i have enough for two round trip business tickets from SFO to MUC. which is great the not-so-great part is that i need to go past MUC to KBP. i dont mind paying for MUC-KBP leg separately (either with miles or cash), but my question is: can these two legs be later combined into one PNR?
Since KBP is in Europe you can get a round trip in Business SFO-KBP for 90k miles if there is availability. Hence the recommendations to use the ANA or KVS tools to check for award availability. As there is no direct flight between SFO and KBP, you'll have to transit at MUC but it will not cost you additional miles for an award ticket.

it sounds like the award is "per leg" and since SFO to KBP is two legs (SFO-MUC & MUC-KBP), that C award round trip would be 180K miles.

Didn't you ask the M&M operator about upgrade awards? Then you were given the correct answer. For upgrade awards SFO-MUC & MUC-KBP count as two legs though MUC-KBP is within Europe and only costs 10k or 15k per leg. And upgrade awards are for one way which is another disadvantage.

So in summary an award round Business trip SFO-KBP via MUC will cost 90k miles + taxes and charges. In order to use upgrade awards you will have to buy an Economy return ticket and spend 35k+10k+10k+35k miles or more likely 50k+15k+15k+50k miles to upgrade to Business. Economy to Business upgrade awards are not a good use of miles!

Take a look at the M&M award and upgrade mileage charts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.