Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa considers shifting flights to Zurich to avoid EU emission regulations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2007, 11:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

FRANKFURT (AFX) - "The EU Commission's plan to reduce carbon dioxide discharge through trading emission rights for flights could lead to serious competitive disadvantages for European airlines, and Deutsche Lufthansa AG could shift flights to Zurich in reaction, chief executive Wolfgang Mayrhuber told Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. 'Should the EU go ahead with its plan we would have to think about relocating,' he said, adding that for Lufthansa it could then be attractive to shift flights to Zurich.

http://www.forbes.com/business/feeds...fx3433236.html
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:41 pm

Programs: LH, SA, AA
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
FRANKFURT (AFX) - "The EU Commission's plan to reduce carbon dioxide discharge through trading emission rights for flights could lead to serious competitive disadvantages for European airlines, and Deutsche Lufthansa AG could shift flights to Zurich in reaction, chief executive Wolfgang Mayrhuber told Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. 'Should the EU go ahead with its plan we would have to think about relocating,' he said, adding that for Lufthansa it could then be attractive to shift flights to Zurich.

http://www.forbes.com/business/feeds...fx3433236.html
I would be very surprised if that would work out as Switzerland (and Norway) usually adapt (or are kind of forced to adapt) EU regulations quite quickly.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
...saber rattling ...
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:15 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by capetonian
I would be very surprised if that would work out as Switzerland (and Norway) usually adapt (or are kind of forced to adapt) EU regulations quite quickly.
Correct.

If they don't on the other hand, costs are much lower in ZRH for LH... I am not a tax genius but maybe LH has "some" advantages regarding tax with that move, too.

I don't see this coming...
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
LH: welcome to the politically already heavily discussed/disputed ZRH airport flight restrictions

but wait, it might help us to convince our northern 'friends' in the black forest to be more tolerant about the immissions they have from our airport?

forget it!
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by Rudi
but wait, it might help us to convince our northern 'friends' in the black forest to be more tolerant about the immissions they have from our airport?
Exactly. ZRH already has a hard time coping with current loads and is contemplating to implement a new landing approach pattern some experts characterize as "dangerous" and "unsafe". So if LH indeed switched more traffic to ZRH in order to avoid EU regulations, Germany would simply find a way to impose even harder noise emission restrictions for approaches to ZRH that fly over German territory. And that would be it.

So the threat is utterly ridiculous and an insult to thinking human beings. Obviously, that's why the media immediately reported it verbatim without further comment.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:37 pm

Programs: LH, SA, AA
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Correct.

If they don't on the other hand, costs are much lower in ZRH for LH... I am not a tax genius but maybe LH has "some" advantages regarding tax with that move, too.

I don't see this coming...

I can see tax advantages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.