Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New One? LH Looking for Vols to Downgrade

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Would the 800 USD not be in addition to a refund of the fare difference?
Usually not. If there are no takers usually the offer goes up. You can approach them and tell them: "800 is not enough for me. I would consider accepting yyyy."
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:02 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I've just flown FRA-SEL with LH. When I asked for a better seat at the gate they told me that they had to downgrade some people from Business to PE and that PE was now completely full. There were still plenty of seats available in Economy.

Is this a recent trend that LH is overbooking its premium cabins too aggressively?

HTB.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tyrolean
I had the following situation with LH quite a few times

1) Arrive at the airport early
2) Having a Flexible Business Class Ticket ask to be rebooked
3) Get the answer that there are free seats on the earlier flight
4) Get a quote to pay the fare difference to J class (which is a sometimes quite a big sum, over 1000 Euro in a case where I had a P class ticket.).
5) Ask the ticket agent, if they take drugs
6) Head to the lounge and consume alcohol
7) Go to the boarding for the booked flight and listen to the announcements.
8) "Sorry this flight is overbooked, we are searching for voluntaries..."

Not funny.
P is really not flexible though, so understand why somebody looking up fare rules would not be flexible either.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: FB Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by view
P is really not flexible though, so understand why somebody looking up fare rules would not be flexible either.
I've definitely seen corporate flexible fares that book into P bucket. For public fares might be possible too.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by view
Just not true: The flexibility does not depend on the booking classes but on the fare rules. Quite a lot of Euro fares in Flexible Business Class book into P (which are not that cheap). Just buy European routes a bit advanced and you have a high chance to end in P with a flexible Business Fare.

Luckily LH changed the rules, so now you can rebook Euro-Flex tickets (such as P-Flex or K-Flex) on the same day without buying up to the ripp-off booking classes.

Sadly most airports do not know how to handle it, but it can be done quite smoothly via the hotline.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NYC1
That is such a platitude. Just because something is "free market" does not mean that it also is not disgraceful--they are not mutually exclusive to put it in "lawyers' speak". I'm all for the free market but let's not kid ourselves that this offer is in almost all cases (I'm not talking about some marginal situation with tickets from DUB etc.) (1) a significant underpayment compared to the fare paid and (2) trying to entice people who didn't personally pay the fare to downgrade and pocket the compensation--this does not absolve the passenger but LH is complicit.

To each their own, and, if LH wants, it can offer $1 to downgrade someone from F to Y from FRA to LAX, but if you're asking people to downgrade --- which you are doing because you were piggy and overbooked (which you are doing as a matter of policy on many flights) and got the statistics wrong in that case, at least show some class and don't be a double pig and make such a low offer.
Could you not then argue that as a passenger, accepting airmiles on a ticket purchased by an employer is also unethical?

its the passenger who is inconvenienced in this instance so compensation is due and is part of the T&C that the employer accepted when purchasing.

VS offered me a free UC rtn to anywhere on their network for a downgrade to PE. I bit their hand off!
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by tnmlyger
I won't call anything here unethical but I do question anybody who would accept $800 as downgrade compensation when the difference between the fare he's supposed to be flying on and the fare after downgrade is greater than these $800.

At the very least, I would expect the fare difference PLUS a token amount for my inconvenience.

That they find people willing to jump on that sort of offer doesn't make it any better - some folks allow others to walk all over them and then even thank them afterwards for having walked all over them.
Hypothetically, if one Voluntarily accepted the $800 to Downgrade from C to PE, would the flyer still get the Status Qualifying Miles as if they flew in C ? As previously addressed in this thread, I am one of those passengers that have a P Class ticket XXX-FRA-USA and my all in round trip cost was $1,769. According to Expertflyer, the FRA-USA segment is looking like it might become overbooked. As that segments' cost is only around $550, and the EC261 rules only require the airline to refund me 75% on an Involuntary Downgrade, I for one might jump at the chance to downgrade, provided it was to PE and I would earn the Status Qualifying Miles. BTW, I keep seeing $800, wouldn't offers from FRA be denominated in Euros ?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You are just reseated in the DCS, no change to the ticket and the miles earned.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Does anyone have current/updated info on the latest LH Offers to Voluntarily Downgrade from C to PE ex-FRA to the USA ?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: LH SEN & DL Plat
Originally Posted by gpicur
Does anyone have current/updated info on the latest LH Offers to Voluntarily Downgrade from C to PE ex-FRA to the USA ?
800€
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Kid Flyer

800€
Thanks Kid Flyer !!! How current is this info or your experience in seeing it offered ?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: LH SEN & DL Plat
Originally Posted by gpicur
Thanks Kid Flyer !!! How current is this info or your experience in seeing it offered ?
i took it in FEB this year :-)
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:55 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
Last week on CPT-FRA- MUC I was offered C to Y for 600 Euro. Turned it down and asked agent if I could get rebooked on the OS flight later that night and she said no. I asked if this was because C on OS was full. She said seats were available but LH policy was not to rebook for the purpose of avoiding (in)voluntary downgrades, not even within LH group. Can you confirm? Policy seems irrational to me.
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by planestupid; Feb 16, 2020 at 7:36 am Reason: typos
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by planestupid
Last week on CPT-FRA- MUC iI was offered C to Y for 600 Euro. Turned it down and asked agent if I could get rebooked in the later OS flight and she said no. I asked if this was because C in OS was full. She said seats were available but LH policy was not to rebook for the purpose of avoiding (in)voluntary downgrades, not even within LH group. Can you confirm? Policy seems irrational to me.
That policy seems stupid 😊 Letting the OS flight go out with empty seats & paying out EUR for downgrades & pissing off pax in the process.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:30 am

I was flying BOG-FRA about three weeks ago and got an email a couple of days before the flight offering a downgrade from F to C for €1500 (I'm a SEN on a paid 'A' class ticket). I emailed back suggesting that I'd be happy with a re-route via MIA, however they said that it was no longer necessary as someone took their offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.