Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Culinary lounge question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I'm flying to Tokyo via MUC next week and could try and smuggle some in my hand luggage. However, I plan to spend my layover in MUC in the FCL, so the quality may not be the same.
I am grateful for your offer, but I will be int he Maldives next week and then in Frankfurt before returning home. Greatly appreciate it. Enjoy the FCL lounge, something I have never experienced
( and probably never will ).
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldclubber
LH C/SEN lounge potato salad is defintely not the worst I have ever eaten in terms of generic, large-batch potato salad probably bought in buckets from wholsale. But: Many Germans I know would consider it fairly average and could provide you with a recipe of a potato salad they consider superior.

If you really want to go for the LH-style potato salad, which is similar to traditional potato salad that calls some regions of Southern Germany home, try this: Mix a bit of vinegar essence (https://www.amazon.com/Surig-Vinegar.../dp/B000NY6QJC, it has a fairly neutral taste) with at least twice as much water, some oil, very finely chopped onions, some salt, some sugar, and some yellow mustard. Pour over sliced, luke-warm potatoes and wait for at least 30 minutes before serving, to give the ingredients a chance to get "married". Sprinkle with chopped chives, if you like. Enjoy!

BTW, they sometimes do serve Frankfurters in LH lounges, just not too often.
Tried the recipe today. Taste wise I am nearly there. But the dressing was a bit too thin.
Maybe I used too much water. I did it with 500 grams potatoes. Not easy to get good potatoes in Japan, but they will have to do. Now that I know the basics I will continue to work on it. So potato salad it will be every weekend until its perfect. Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Tried the recipe today. Taste wise I am nearly there. But the dressing was a bit too thin.
Maybe I used too much water. I did it with 500 grams potatoes. Not easy to get good potatoes in Japan, but they will have to do. Now that I know the basics I will continue to work on it. So potato salad it will be every weekend until its perfect. Thanks.
Glad you like the recipe and think it is close. Checked at the SEN lounge yesterday and find it fairly close, too. 500 grams of potatoes is a very small batch, but I would use about half a tablespoon of vinegar essence or one tablespoon of vinegar, 2 tablespoons of water, half to 1 teaspoon of salt, max. half a teaspoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of mustard. The potatoes have to absorb all of the dressing, which depends essentially on the type of potatoes and the time you allow the salad to sit before consumption. (small tablespoons)

The commercially produced potato salad at the lounge has slightly more "umami" then my recipe, primarily due to the listed ingredient "Gewrze" (essentially, above all, a legal euphemism for MSG), which I do not use in my home-made potato salad, neither do I use preservatives, of course.

And you are certaily right: The potato salad in the First Class Lounges is very different from the salad they serve in the C and SEN lounges.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldclubber
500 grams of potatoes is a very small batch, but I would use about half a tablespoon of vinegar essence or one tablespoon of vinegar, 2 tablespoons of water, half to 1 teaspoon of salt, max. half a teaspoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of mustard. The potatoes have to absorb all of the dressing, which depends essentially on the type of potatoes and the time you allow the salad to sit before consumption. (small tablespoons)
no oil?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:38 pm

no oil?
Sorry, forgot 1tablespoon of oil.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:22 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I'm not hungry but in the name of research @ MUC FCL.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I'm not hungry but in the name of research @ MUC FCL.
Nice!

But probably very different from the generic potato salad from a bucket in the SEN/C lounges.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:24 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Sorry, no route, seat or equipment question.

Mrs. Ex and I love the potato salad served in the LH Senator lounges at FRA and MUC. We can never get enough of it. If only they would serve original Frankfurter Wuerstchen with it at the FRA lounge, but I guess that's too cost prohibitive. The Leberkaes in MUC is quite sufficient. Can anyone point us to who we should we contact to try and get the recipe? Is it LSG or a different vendor?

Thanks for your help and bon appetit, or better Guten Appetit.
I'm not a fan of this airline and I'm German.
Flew Coach Intra Europe a number of times
Also International First Class to Frankfurt from the US and had incredibly disappointing food on board
They did have a comfortable seat I can get on any premium airline.A Hamburger for dinner as a choice in First?
Is that even an offering in a premium cabin Perhaps as a snack after or instead of dining
I liked the team members but happy with most airlines I fly and rarely have an issue even in coach with the service.But my expectations are low
I don't fly the airline due to expiring miles

Back to Potato salad
The photo shows a classic cold German Style Potato salad without Mayo something I grew up with in New York for decades
It was sold by many hundreds/thousands of German Delis in the NYC area and surrounding suburbs since I was a child
As much as the dish satisfies and is tasty its quite common.Living on the West Coast now I don't see it as much
Nothing ever in my years past made me think that one is vastly better than the other>but of course some standout a bit more over others
So much about taste is subjective and execution of individual recipe
I'd check Cooks Illustrated and see if they offer a recipe.
They have some of the better chefs in the world that know food and such classic dishes and they don't accept advertising which typically leads them to demonstrate
some of the best recipes as they take many recipes to craft the best they can come up with and their recipes are typically easy to follow and accurate
Cheers
Old May 2, 2017, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

My Final Thoughts

Last Saturday I flew JL from FRA to NRT. On that occasion I was able to visit the Sakura
Lounge in T2. Wonders of wonders, the lounge serves potato salad and pork sausages.
And...............it's the same as in the Senator lounge!

So, now I am inclined to accept poster "oliver2002" suggestion that it is a commercially
available item, available at Metro. Thanks for the link.

But on the bright side, since I am usually on NH or JL out of FRA, I can sample the
Kartoffelsalat at either Terminals.

Also, I am getting darn close with my own recipe that I am preparing with the help
of earlier posters.

A Happy End

Last edited by Exleftseat; May 3, 2017 at 10:45 pm
Old May 3, 2017, 6:51 pm

...[snip]...
Also, I am getting darn close with my own recipe that I am prpearing with the help
of earlier posters.

A Happy End
After making and eating so much Kartoffelsalat, I doubt that a happy ending is guaranteed: I'd start some exercise asap to loose the extra weight!
Old May 3, 2017, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
After making and eating so much Kartoffelsalat, I doubt that a happy ending is guaranteed: I'd start some exercise asap to loose the extra weight!
At my age I can afford not to care any longer about what is healthy and what not. A
definite plus, being in my eighties.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:43 pm

But on the bright side, since I am usually on NH or JL out of FRA, I can sample the Kartoffelsalat at either Terminals.

Also, I am getting darn close with my own recipe that I am preparing with the help of earlier posters.

A Happy End
Great to hear that you can now enjoy potato salad at the lounges you use and are getting closer to the "perfect" Kartoffelsalat. Enjoy! ^
Old May 5, 2017, 7:22 am

At my age I can afford not to care any longer about what is healthy and what not. A
definite plus, being in my eighties.
I fully agree with you, it was just my wife's ideas coming out through my post!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.