Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I guess there is nothing I can do about this?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2016, 1:37 am
Original Poster

I guess there is nothing I can do about this?

I need to get to FRA, but the non-stop from my city are super expensive. Booking to DUS or other nearby airports is half the price - going via FRA.

I am assuming I would get into trouble if I booked that and just left my itinerary at FRA? I guess I wouldn't be able to board from FRA, having skipped the first leg, on the way back? I'd have checked bags to take with me too.

I am sure I can't do any of this, but I just loathe paying double to take one flight vs two at half price!
Old May 10, 2016, 1:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Can you take the train? How much are one way tickets?
Old May 10, 2016, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Yeah, it's not far from Cologne so I thought so train would be ok on the way there, but the issue is on the way back - if I have to make the Cologne flight first - is that I am combining this with a separate itinerary out of FRA, so that would limit my layover to catch the flight home from FRA. It'd mean arriving in FRA and taking the train to Cologne, just to get back to FRA again haha. I'll already have so many flights on the other itinerary though, so it'd be ideal to avoid the extra flight.

One way is way more than double, so no use.
Old May 10, 2016, 1:57 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Try booking to QKL instead assuming the trick still works?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...l-segment.html
Old May 10, 2016, 2:01 am
Original Poster

It's not an airrail segment I am afraid - it is two flights, I need a flight to get to FRA as I am in the UK.
Old May 10, 2016, 2:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Dan1113
It's not an airrail segment I am afraid - it is two flights, I need a flight to get to FRA as I am in the UK.
Try booking withe the airrail segment if you can.
Old May 10, 2016, 5:54 am
Original Poster

THAT WORKS. So I can book this to Cologne rail station and just skip the rail journey without any consequence at either end? AMAZING. You guys are such life savers.
Old May 10, 2016, 5:58 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
THAT WORKS. So I can book this to Cologne rail station and just skip the rail journey without any consequence at either end? AMAZING. You guys are such life savers.
Make sure you check in online for the rail segment you are going to skip.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Amazing. This is for April next year so hopefully this won't change by then - ha. Thanks. Will book later today.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
ZWS, QDU and QKL are the airrail segments to look for.
Old May 10, 2016, 7:45 am

You could also schedule the second segment up to 24h after your arrival, take care of what you need the day and then continue to wherever just to catch a return train to FRA (and same on the return).
Old May 11, 2016, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Just to check. Is it safe to skip a rail segment even if it is the first segment before a flight, as it would be on my return journey?

These threads here seem to imply otherwise. :/
http://travel.stackexchange.com/ques...h-a-klm-flight
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...g-airrail.html
Old May 11, 2016, 8:16 am

Just to check. Is it safe to skip a rail segment even if it is the first segment before a flight, as it would be on my return journey?
It's safe provided you OLCI for all the segments.

(I'm assuming this is with LH/DB in Germany, although you reference a post which concerns KL and AMS.)
Old May 11, 2016, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Yes, LH/DB, but just wondered if the situation was the same as the 'checkin' one there. And yes, would of course check in online for all.

Thanks, feel reassured now so away to book.
Old May 11, 2016, 11:24 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
It's not safe if LH finds out about it, which is easy if you drop your bags off in Frankfurt before the scheduled arrival of your train, for example...

HTB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.