Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award taxes/fees/surcharges - Rant thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
It appears I came out ahead on this particular exchange with M&M.
Instead of
105k M&M miles and ~1300 CAD for a YYZ-GVA-JFK in LH/LX C
I'll fly:
45k A3 miles + 56EUR for YYZ-GVA on AC C
57.4k SQ miles + 274 EUR for FRA-JFK on SQ Suites

Good refresher on my recent past struggles with M&M value
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:09 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Yesterday I tried to book a one-way Miles and Bonus redemption flight from LCA to TXL which always involves a stopover on *A (at VIE, MUC, FRA or ATH). With OS, they wanted a ridiculous €116 in taxes and fees while A3 charged only €70. The LH Group are clearly ripping off M+M and other *A passengers on redemption tickets. This is why I hold *A Gold cards with two other airlines while continuing to fly 50 times a year with LH and OS.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:27 am
Original Poster

BBC with a piece on Surcharges. Quite well written.

Well captured background:
To recap: the surcharges were introduced as a way for the airlines to distance themselves from the rising cost of oil, in the same way that they itemised government taxes on their bills.

Travel writer Simon Calder explains: "It was a way for the airline to say "this is nothing to do with us - don't blame us for the price rises".
and Lufthansa with their comment

Lufthansa is slightly more illuminating. It introduced an "international surcharge" in 2014. Spokesman Boris Ogursky says: "The surcharge covers costs beyond our control such as air traffic control fees, emissions trading scheme payments and so on.

"It is important for the customer to compare the overall cost of the flight with other airlines. The total fare is steered by market competition - it's not just us making up surcharges and putting them up and down as we like.

"It is a highly competitive marketplace."
Mr. Ogursky has a future as a contortionist in the cirque du soleil...
Typical LH Nonsense

Last edited by GBM.flights; Jan 18, 2016 at 1:35 am
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
This whole surcharges charade is only relevant for awards, in revenue fares the final price matters and is compared, the customers doesn't give two hoots about the final price is built... Hence no one is filing a class action lawsuit and consumer protection won't lift a finger
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Award taxes/fees/surcharges - Rant thread

And now to those with business ethics
http://bloom.bg/1PkTF8D

Japan’s airlines are set to remove fuel surcharges with oil trading around a 12-year low, ending a decade of high jet kerosene costs that had added as much as 66,000 yen ($563) to the price of a round-trip ticket to the U.S. or Europe.
If Japanese airlines do remove surcharges, they would merely be catching up with some of their counterparts elsewhere. South Korean airlines haven’t levied fuel surcharges on overseas flights since last September, under a government-set formula that’s adjusted every month to reflect international crude prices.

Budget carrier AirAsia Bhd., AirAsia X Bhd. and all their affiliates removed fuel surcharges last January. Qantas Airways Ltd. began folding the surcharge into its base ticket price a year ago, adding that its international fares wouldn’t change as a result.

In an e-mailed statement Monday, Singapore Airlines Ltd. said it regularly reviews its fuel surcharge levels, “and whenever changes are decided upon we announce them to the market.” Singapore Air and its regional unit SilkAir lowered surcharges in February 2015.

Cathay Pacific still imposes a fuel surcharge, according to a travel advisory issued Dec. 29. In an e-mailed response, Cathay said airlines submit applications to Hong Kong’s Civil Aviation Department for fuel surcharge approval each month.
News outlets are really doing the rounds on the subject.

Last edited by GBM.flights; Jan 19, 2016 at 2:59 am Reason: link fixed + quote
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Bloomberg keeps the stories coming.

2 highlights for me:

Watch the ex-LH, now EK exec in the video garble the reply on fuel surcharges

And this:
Airlines don’t publish similar surcharge schedules, and the vagueness serves an important purpose: Many big-volume corporate travel buyers get their airline discount applied to base fares, while surcharges are paid in full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.