Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two LH flights, separate tickets, checking luggage through?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Two LH flights, separate tickets, checking luggage through?

I am flying with LH from JFK to FRA and then have a connecting flight with LH to my final destination. Each of these flights is on a separate ticket and I will probably have to check in luggage. Will I be able to check in my luggage in JFK to my final destination? It seems like this should not be an issue but I believe that on one of my flights to FRA with LH (I think from EWR) I had two separate tickets and they couldn't give me the second boarding pass at EWR (I didn't have luggage) so it got me thinking that if they can't do a boarding card how could they check in the luggage all the way. Thanks.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AC, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
No problem checking through baggage at JFK, assuming your connecting flight is within a reasonable time (and same day I would guess).

Boarding Pass could be an issue because they have not finalized something for the flight yet (as you are at least 10hrs ahead of everything by checking-in for the flight in JFK). Rest assured, baggage check-in will work all the way, if you need to pick-up a second boarding pass in FRA, make sure to show them your bag tags and ask them to confirm that your bags have been interlined to the connecting flight.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
They should be able to check baggage through, no problem.

And just check in online for your connecting flight.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Thank you. Yes, the connecting flight is within a few hours of arriving in FRA. I was concerned that they wouldn't check the bags through because they couldn't give me the boarding pass but I trust that that will not be an issue.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I just had same situation EWR-FRA & FRA-AMS in J in 2 separate tickets. They checked my bags thru with no problem but had to wait till I arrived in FRA for my BP
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: UA, TG, LH
Same experience on BRU-FRA then FRA-GVA, however it took 3 check-in agents 15' to check my luckage through.
However since I arrived just 35' prior departure they were not waiting for me nor could I checkin any more cia LH.com, and had to get from Terminal B to A.

Therefore I would advise to checkin electronically since your less then 24 h from departure and this way you are expected in case of delayed arrival.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
SOrry for reviving this older thread but what happens if you have 2 tickets and pass through the same airport twice? will they check it through or in this case they will refuse to do it.
Example:

MEX MUC HAM FRA and
FRA MUC BUD

Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: LH SEN, QR Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5-star
What about about two different star alliance carriers and two different travel classes?

BRU-ZRH-GRU Swiss C (award)
GRU-GIG Avianca Y (paid ticket with luggage)
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
SOrry for reviving this older thread but what happens if you have 2 tickets and pass through the same airport twice? will they check it through or in this case they will refuse to do it.
IIIRC, you can't have the same airport twice on the tag.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:46 am

I thought that maybe they could check it somethi n like MEX MUC BUD?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
I thought that maybe they could check it somethi n like MEX MUC BUD?
They can but in most cases won't. Also, as soon as they require a second tag, it is getting harder to convince them
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by Nico_T_
What about about two different star alliance carriers and two different travel classes?

BRU-ZRH-GRU Swiss C (award)
GRU-GIG Avianca Y (paid ticket with luggage)
that should be no problem (did pretty much the same recently)
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by daumueller
They can but in most cases won't. Also, as soon as they require a second tag, it is getting harder to convince them
I will try to see if they will accept.maybe if I have good luck with a good agent....
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WorldLux
IIIRC, you can't have the same airport twice on the tag.
This is correct. The same airport cannot appear in the sequence more than once.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:26 pm
Original Member

Hello all
Does anyone know if LH will through check to another Star Alliance carrier on a separate ticket? For example, LH paid ticket TXL to MUC (Economy) to SQ biz class award ticket MUC to SIN? The latter ticket booked through SQ not LH ticket stock. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.