Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss transit in ZRH [shortchecking luggage on a hidden city]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO GO, HH GO, SPG, GO
Swiss transit in ZRH [shortchecking luggage on a hidden city]

I'm trying to book tickets for the family for London - Zurich, however on the date I need the price for a one way ticket is much too expensive ($850). I have found that I can save money by buying London - Zurich - Brussels on the same flights (US$560) and missing the 2nd Leg Zurich - brussels flight which is after 3.5 hours transit, but as I don't fly on Swiss very often I don't know how they would take to us checking in the luggage from London to Zurich only and then leaving the immigration to recover our bags? Is it too much hassle to save US$300? Comments and suggestions welcome! Thanks

(btw I would do this in the US or other places where I'm more familiar with the airline and procedure)
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:16 am

Did you check the round trip fare LHR-ZRH-LHR with a return date far out in the future?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:40 am

Not sure your luggage will be labeled only to ZRH with only 3.5 h transit.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; de) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1033 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by PetzLUX
Not sure your luggage will be labeled only to ZRH with only 3.5 h transit.
No problem. Done this many times. You can always tell them - if they ask - that you need to deliver something from your bag to your business partner etc.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AC, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Hmm... but buying a one-way ticket and only short-checking bags to the connecting airport sounds very suspicious? I could imagine it would sound less suspicious if OP was on a round-trip itinerary and doing this only on the return leg.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AC, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Another solution which popped into my mind: When booking LHR-ZRH-BRU, could OP perhaps select another connecting ZRH-BRU flight which departs at a later time, giving more connecting time? I reckon if it's a one-way ticket it should be quite flexible with timings? If that doesn't work, perhaps scheduled the connecting ZRH-BRU flight to the next morning?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by fassy
Did you check the round trip fare LHR-ZRH-LHR with a return date far out in the future?
+1. Do this or alternatively, book LHR-ZRH and a cheap return somewhere else in Europe (e.g. ZRH-VIE) on a future date when the lowest fare class is available. Saves $ and mmediately solves all your bag tag worries, too.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: LH FTL; A3*Gold
Why don't you take EasyJet from Gatwick or Luton? One way flex tickets are £180-ish, standard as low as £40.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.