Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shipping/taking a pet on LH Group (using AVIH or PETC)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
On SAS, no pets in C.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: A3
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
If you booked your pet in cabin with Lufthansa, there should be no further problem. There are dedicated seats for pet in cabin, but the stowage will be the same as at every other seat in the C-cl cabin.
Thank you Air Rarotonga, have you seen any of such seats? Really curious.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:28 am

If you bring a cat into business class, is the cat allowed to walk around or does it need to stay in the cage.....because if it can walk around, that would be awesome! I would love to have a cat or two walking around on some of my TA flights
Old May 2, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Only cats on monkey is allowed to walk around, or was it monkeys in C(at);-)
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Dogs in the (LH) cabin

I have to bring my (small) dog on my next intra-european LH flight and after having checked the LH website I'm a bit confused about the requirements.
It says that the dog has to be put in a watertight and bite-proof box. My question: is this strictly enforced or can you also put your dog in a soft (nylon/leather) dog bag?
A rigid box makes sense if you have to check your dog but I don't see the point of a rigid box in the cabin.

Thanks
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
See post #18 and 21 above for details.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
See post #18 and 21 above for details.
Thanks oliver2002, but it doesn't specifically answer my question as even the smallest crate (60 x 45 x40 cm) that is mentioned in the posts you're referring to is bigger than what's specified on thew LH website: max size (55 x 40 x 23 cm). Also, my question wasn't about the size but rather the material of the box/bag.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They have updated the text on 27JAN17:

Code:
                        GGAIRLHBAGGAGE        EN  27JAN17 1431Z
 *** P E T C  (PETS IN PASSENGER CABIN) ***                           *L*

ONLY APPLIES TO  C A T  OR   D O G - BOOK ALL OTHER PETS AS AVIH
 AND ALSO READ "PETS - GENERAL"

ACCORDING TO IATA/AIRIMP DEFINITION ONLY SMALL PET ANIMALS: DOGS OR CATS
 OR SEEING EYE, HEARING AID AND MEDICALLY REQUIRED SERVICE DOGS, APPROVED
 BY LH DOC WITHIN A MEDA ELEMENT MAY BE TRANSPORTED IN THE PASSENGER CABIN.
 ALL OTHER ANIMALS INCLUDING RODENTS MUST BE BOOKED AS AVIH!!

PETC LIMITS BY AIRCRAFT:
 ------------------------
 - FOLLOWING ALLOWANCE PER LH-AIRCRAFT/CABIN IS APPLICABLE:
   (ONLY ONE PET BOX IS PERMITTED PER PASSENGER)
                                                  TTL  F   C   E   M
   * LONGHAUL AIRCRAFT (PER CABIN)
       F-C-M    OR  C-M   CONFIGURATION.........   -   1   2   -   3
       F-C-E-M  OR  C-E-M CONFIGURATION.........   -   1   2   1   2
   * AIRCRAFT WITH MULTIPLE CLASS DIVIDER (MCD).   -   -   1   -   2
   * NON-LH A/C: CR9, E90/E95...................   2   -   -   -   -

>

m

RESERVATION
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 - EITHER OWN CRATE PROVIDED BY PASSENGER OR LH PET BOX
   IMPORTANT: IF NO OWN CRATE IS USED, LH OFFERS THE LH PET BOX AT MANY
   STATIONS. PET BOXES ARE NOT AVAILABLE E.G. IN SCANDINAVIA, REGIONAL
   ITALIAN AIRPORTS AND AT STATIONS THAT ARE ONLY FLOWN TO SEASONALLY.
 - FORM "AUTHORIZATION FOR TRANSPORTATION OF PETS IN PASSENGER CABIN"
   SHALL BE COMPLETED AFTER APPROVED RESERVATION, SIGNED BY THE
   PASSENGER AND STAPLED TO THE PASSENGER TICKET.

PETC ONLY ACCEPTED IF BOOKED & CONFIRMED WITH THESE RESTRICTIONS:
 * ON CODE SHARE FLIGHTS THE RULES OF OPERATING CARRIER APPLY.
   FOR LX OPERATED FLIGHTS ONLY SOFT BAGS ARE ALLOWED!
 * NEVER BOOK A PETC AS CBBG ON A PAX-SEAT. IF DIMS EXCEED USE AVIH!

* LH EXPRESS BUS.............................ONLY RES OF CAT/DOG POSSIBLE

AMADEUS INPUT EXAMPLE:
 >SR PETC LH NN1-TTL..KG 1CAT OWN CRATE DIMS40X20X20CM/S2/P1

>

m

TRANSPORTATION
 - PET INCL. CONTAINER MAY NOT EXCEED 55X40X23 CM OR LH-PETBOX:
   45 X 29 X 22 CM (WITHOUT HANDLE) AND MAY NOT WEIGH MORE THAN TTL 8 KG
   (CARRY-ON BAGGAGE LIMIT)
 - DURING THE WHOLE FLIGHT, THE ANIMAL MUST STAY IN A SUITABLE CONTAINER,
   WHICH IS BITE-AND LEAK-PROOF
   OR A SUITABLE BITE- AND LEAK-PROOF HANDBAG OF THE PASSENGER.
 - NUMBER OF PETS PER CRATE: ACCEPTANCE OF TWO PETS OF COMPARABLE SIZE IS
   POSSIBLE. PETS MUST BE USED TO COHABITATION AND BE ABLE TO MOVE, STAND
   AND LIE. MAXIMUM LIMITS FOR WEIGHT AND CRATE SIZES MUST NOT BE EXCEEDED.

TRANSPORTATION
- PET INCL. CONTAINER MAY NOT EXCEED 55X40X23 CM OR LH-PETBOX:
45 X 29 X 22 CM (WITHOUT HANDLE) AND MAY NOT WEIGH MORE THAN TTL 8 KG
(CARRY-ON BAGGAGE LIMIT)
- DURING THE WHOLE FLIGHT, THE ANIMAL MUST STAY IN A SUITABLE CONTAINER,
WHICH IS BITE-AND LEAK-PROOF
The above answers your question. As long as you don't exceed the mentioned dimension you should be fine. The idea is that your pet is to be stored including its bag under the seat in front of you. If the bag is too big you can board. Since its not allowed to leave the bag for the entire journey the bag should be leak proof. I recently had a lady carry her pet dog and take it out repeatedly, to either pet it or change the blue pad that was trying to absorb the yellow juice.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Thanks so much oliver2002, this answers it indeed. The important word here is "handbag" which I hadn't seen before. This means that I can use a bag like the one below instead of a rigid box. Great news.

Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:17 am

I'm a bit confused by this:

FORM "AUTHORIZATION FOR TRANSPORTATION OF PETS IN PASSENGER CABIN" SHALL BE COMPLETED AFTER APPROVED RESERVATION, SIGNED BY THE PASSENGER AND STAPLED TO THE PASSENGER TICKET.

I called LH to add my dog to the ticket and got a confirmation email a few minutes later but this form was never mentioned (neither on the phone nor in the mail).
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
They will issue a separate slip when you check in with the dog. The important part is that PETC is on your ticket.

Also, regarding bags, we flew our cats in Sherpa bags, they are formally approved by a bunch of (US-based) airlines, and satisfy all the IATA requirements. They're really good quality and sturdy - we took them on several intercontinental trips, and still use them to take the animals to the vet. I'd totally recommend them. Don't worry about them not getting accepted - we flew them on LH and LX.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by hdogan
They will issue a separate slip when you check in with the dog. The important part is that PETC is on your ticket.

Also, regarding bags, we flew our cats in Sherpa bags, they are formally approved by a bunch of (US-based) airlines, and satisfy all the IATA requirements. They're really good quality and sturdy - we took them on several intercontinental trips, and still use them to take the animals to the vet. I'd totally recommend them. Don't worry about them not getting accepted - we flew them on LH and LX.
Thanks for the additional info, hdogan. It all worked like a charm in the end (exactly like you described it). ^
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:10 am

Cat flight cage

Hi there,

is the CatIt Cabrio Cat Carrier allowed for Lufthansa flights from South Africa to Germany?

thanks
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:13 am

Location: Washington, DC - usually on my way to ROB, TBS, or MNL (sometimes COO, WDH, MSU, or ULN too)
Programs: United Gold, Delta Platinum
Angry What "confirm" means to Austrian, and traveling with a dog

There has been a lot of news recently about traveling with dogs, so I thought I would describe my recent saga with Austrian. First, I'll say that in general, I like traveling with Austrian, and prefer it to Lufthansa, particularly on the route I fly from IAD to PRN (Lufthansa routes you through Frankfurt, mostly, which involves like an hour of walking for only an hour and a half layover).

I was needing to travel with my dog in the hold from IAD to PRN. I was also traveling with my 70 year old mother-in-law for whom this was her first trip out of the US, which is why I chose to fly through Vienna instead of Frankfurt (see above). When I called to ask if my dog would fit, they said "yes, probably, but we have to confirm because it's a smaller aircraft." They told me to call back the next day to "confirm." Before I had a chance, they wrote me an email saying:

"Dear Ms. Olmstead,

We kindly inform you that the transportation of your dog in hold can not be confirmed for your flights due to small aircraft type.
We do advise you to contact Lufthansa cargo service in order to confirm the transportation.
You can reach them using this phone number: +1 800 542 274.
Should you require any further assistance, please, do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely,
AUSTRIAN AIRLINES"

So, maybe this is just me, but "confirm" with Lufthansa I read as "call them and ask whether your crate will fit." Now, why Lufthansa would know better than Austrian on one of their own flights, I didn't know, but I figured they are partners, and maybe Lufthansa was in charge of cargo transport on the ground. I called Lufthansa and asked if my crate would fit and they said "yup!" I reported that back to Austrian, and they said "that's nice." And I kind of left it at that (probably my fault, as I should have gotten a firm "confirmed" before letting it go).

Flash forward to a few days before the flight: I thought I would reconfirm my pup's place. The conversation went something like this:
"We told you we can't confirm!"
"Well, you told me to confirm with Lufthansa, and they confirmed that my crate should fit."
"We have nothing to do with Lufthansa."
"Then why did you tell me to confirm with them that my crate would fit?"
"Yes, confirm with them."
"I don't get it, should I just show up at the airport then, and see if it works?"
"No, we cannot confirm at this time due to the small size of the aircraft."
"What are you saying? What precisely does the word confirm mean to you? Can I bring my dog or can't I?"
"We cannot confirm at this time, and don't take that tone with me..."

Needless to say, I did not take my dog on that flight and it took me over a month to find another flight that I could get her out on (as high season approaches, Austrian flies bigger planes to Pristina, so they had room for the pooch the next time. Thankfully we had someone in DC with whom she could stay for a month.

So, I admit, after the fact I can hear that the "confirm with Lufthansa" thing could mean something else, but why wouldn't they just say "sorry, we can't take your dog, make other arrangements?" Customer Service WOULD NOT use the word no, only "we cannot confirm." Is it just to be frustrating? Is there some liability they're trying to cover?

Anyway, moral of the story is check the equipment on your route before booking when traveling with a dog. I know a lot more about airplane sizes than I did before!!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:58 am

Location: KUL (MY), ICN (KR), ZRH (CH) or OTP (RO) - or somewhere in between
Programs: OZ, JL
When Austrian told you to check with Lufthansa, what they meant was for you to check with Lufthansa if Lufthansa can transport your dog, not to check with Lufthansa if Austrian can transport your dog.
When I have to fly my dog, I always: 1. call Lufthansa Cargo to inquire about space for my dog, they tell me which flights have space and I ask them to “reserve” the space (they put it on hold for a few hours); 2. call Lufthansa to book the same flights for us (humans); 3. call back Lufthansa Cargo and give them the PNR of our flights so they can associate the space for my dog to the same booking (in that order). I too learned that the hard way but it is obvious that on any given plane the space for a crate is more scarce than the seats on that plane, so the space for your dog must be booked first.
irishguy28 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.