Wiki Posts
Search

Where does my fuel surcharge go?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Where does my fuel surcharge go?

Just out of curiosity, when I book a flight on SQ with LH miles and pay the really high YQ, does LH give that money to SQ or does it keep it? And if it gives the money to SQ, does that mean airlines like AV/UA are paying the really high fuel surcharge themselves to make redemption surcharge-free?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Just out of curiosity, when I book a flight on SQ with LH miles and pay the really high YQ, does LH give that money to SQ or does it keep it? And if it gives the money to SQ, does that mean airlines like AV/UA are paying the really high fuel surcharge themselves to make redemption surcharge-free?
Kept by the ticketing carrier. Pure money grab by LH et al. Where have you been:-)
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sp4294
Kept by the ticketing carrier. Pure money grab by LH et al. Where have you been:-)
Well then....assuming this (http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...cost-airlines/) is correct, LH is probably generating profit along with shedding liability through the redemption of miles.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Just out of curiosity, when I book a flight on SQ with LH miles and pay the really high YQ, does LH give that money to SQ or does it keep it?
LH keeps all the YQ money in their pocket. The same thing apply to BA. In the US we call the YQ a SCAM charge.

It is a pure rip off without any control by governments.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by sp4294
Depends on the interline agreement between the two carriers. I'm pretty certain that the SQ-LH interline requires accounting on how much YQ was collected on both ends for all ticketing and its split at the end of the year. This is not the case for some carriers, LH-AA is a major example.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Depends on the interline agreement between the two carriers. I'm pretty certain that the SQ-LH interline requires accounting on how much YQ was collected on both ends for all ticketing and its split at the end of the year. This is not the case for some carriers, LH-AA is a major example.
This is likely entirely accurate. My observation above stems primarily from what has been generally accepted about LH and AC, and BA, VS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.