Wiki Posts
Search

Slimline seats?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Slimline seats?

I searched around and didn't seem to find a definitive answer. I've seen them referred to as LH NEK or Recaro BL3250. Which aircraft have the new 'slimline' seats in economy?

Some pics at the bottom of this: http://www.ausbt.com.au/lufthansa-ta...alls-real-beds

/\That seat for 8+ hours cannot be comfortable.

United is putting these on their A319 and A320 fleets and I've flown on them PHL-SFO-PHL, and they are abominable. The biggest gripes for me were they're too close to the floor, the armrests are pencil-thin & too low, and the cushions are hard. The funny thing is UA even stated they added more padding than LH, but the hardness isn't the main problem; they're just not designed for a human being over 5' 6" it seems like due to the height of the seat itself and the arm rests. Sure, it gives more "head room", but who cares about that on an airplane? I understand every airline wants to pack us in more. UA really did need new seats for the Airbus fleet, but these are really uncomfortable. This write up really nails it: http://badice.com/2013/06/07/new-uni...n-improvement/

Some pictures I have seen of LH longhaul economy showed relatively thin seats, but they looked OK such as on the A346:

I'll have to admit the A346 and A343 seats look more comfortable than the A380 above though.

I have a flight on LH later this year (a340-300 as of today). I'll live regardless, but I'm curious what planes will be getting these 'new' slimline seats and what Flyertalkers think of these seats for long haul travel. If the LH fleet is going to be changing from all of these designs to a new one, perhaps we should start a tracking thread. Not as glamorous as Business or First, but some of us FT'ers have to fly in LH economy once in awhile

Last edited by airb330; Feb 25, 2014 at 9:20 pm
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:04 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
NEK is on all A320 series and B737s, and a variant of it on the EMB190 series.

The longhaul recaro shown in the middle is on the B744, A343, A330 and A346.

The B/E pinnacle shown in the last picture is on the A380 and B748 and some new A330. They are pretty nice, as the bottom cushion moves forward when you recline.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:42 pm

I personally don't hate the NEK seats, but then again an intra-EU flight is much shorter than an intra-US flight (generally speaking).
I recently flew the A380 in Y and found the seats OK. The problem with the A380 configuration is the pitch, that is way too small to ensure a reasonable amount of space when the person in front of you reclines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.