Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Reaffirms Commitment to Charlotte-Munich Route

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

This (from our newsroom) doesn't seem to have been covered here but it sounds like good news for a lot of German companies in the U.S. I've never flown out of CLT but maybe I'll try that flight now for my next MUC trip.

Lufthansa, Germany’s flagship carrier, said Tuesday that it will continue to operate its daily flight from Charlotte Douglas International Airport in North Carolina to Munich.

The withdrawal of US Airways, Lufthansa’s partner in the Star Alliance, had led to speculation that the airline would discontinue the flight. Lufthansa held a series of meetings this week to say: “We are committed to stay in Charlotte.” US Airways will leave the alliance at the end of March and join oneworld, an alliance anchored by American Airlines and British Airways…..

<SNIP>
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jspira
This (from our newsroom) doesn't seem to have been covered here but it sounds like good news for a lot of German companies in the U.S.
I would assume as long as BMW stays near Charlotte, Lufthansa will stay near Charlotte....
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
There is more to CLT than BMW... true, the German automotive suppliers have set up shop in the region to supply VW/MB/BMW in the south, but the banking related to BoA and the chemical industry associated to the research triangle are also heavy users of the connections the MUC flight offers.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
There is more to CLT than BMW... true, the German automotive suppliers have set up shop in the region to supply VW/MB/BMW in the south, but the banking related to BoA and the chemical industry associated to the research triangle are also heavy users of the connections the MUC flight offers.
Good point.

Will the loss of the STAR hub here at CLT have impact for these groups of customers?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

AFAIK CLT was mostly O&D traffic, the connections were mostly European customers using US to get to southern US and the Caribbean. I think that will continue since LH already has agreements with AA to transport such traffic onwards...
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Well said. BMW does not contribute more than 2% to 3% of the load on this route.

I know for sure a bank who does much better contribution than BMW on this route especially in premium traffic.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Well said. BMW does not contribute more than 2% to 3% of the load on this route.

I know for sure a bank who does much better contribution than BMW on this route especially in premium traffic.
Thanks to you and Oliver2002- makes a lot of sense^
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Cargo is a major factor here as well, partly due to the car manufactorers mentioned above. Will be interesting to see how US will consolidate their flights to/from Germany. I do see some cuts on US, not so much on Lufty.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:55 am

Staying in CLT gives a good 3rd 'regional' option for Airbus Alabama (in addition to IAH and ATL).
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
AFAIK CLT was mostly O&D traffic, the connections were mostly European customers using US to get to southern US and the Caribbean. I think that will continue since LH already has agreements with AA to transport such traffic onwards...
I have considered ATL and CLT to be the best connecting hubs from Europe to Florida. Let's see what changes are coming?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FD1971
Cargo is a major factor here as well, partly due to the car manufactorers mentioned above. Will be interesting to see how US will consolidate their flights to/from Germany. I do see some cuts on US, not so much on Lufty.
I wonder how much cargo (from auto mfrs) goes by plane however. Cars of course do not (except for individual instances such as for an event) and most parts - including engines - come by ship.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by jspira
I wonder how much cargo (from auto mfrs) goes by plane however. Cars of course do not (except for individual instances such as for an event) and most parts - including engines - come by ship.
I awould hazard guess that there might be a few thousand cartons of Marlboros that get on board from the southern states....

To settle the mystery I sent an email to a contact @ Cargo to see if he can provide any info on cargo loads to CLT - now I'm just plain curious.

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Jan 22, 2014 at 3:09 pm
Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:33 am

We had a plant in the GSP area and the freight space on the LH CLT flight was always taken when we needed it. BMW & co fly cargo direct into GSP. With todays automotive supply kept very tight a small tool or a missing box of fasteners can hold up a line for a few hours/days. Then airfreight suddenly becomes very inexpensive.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
We had a plant in the GSP area and the freight space on the LH CLT flight was always taken when we needed it. BMW & co fly cargo direct into GSP. With todays automotive supply kept very tight a small tool or a missing box of fasteners can hold up a line for a few hours/days. Then airfreight suddenly becomes very inexpensive.
I guess in this case the TD does not stand for Turbo Diesel.

BTW, same situation in ATL. Even Delta, on the STR-ATL nonstop, thought about upgrading its equipment. So many companies have to take what is left over and ATL is certainly a viable option in the region as well, when speed is the major concern.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True.

I have seen helicopters delivering 0.5 EUR parts to factories because of the risk of interrupting the supply chain. Something to keep in mind when locating your factories.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.