Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Reaffirms Commitment to Charlotte-Munich Route

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by oliver2002
AFAIK the IAD & DTW lounge(s) make LH money since a parade of US/AC/UA*Gs use it during the day
...and the occasional LH SEN flying to DTW on US (when DL prices get too crazy)...
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK the IAD & DTW lounge(s) make LH money since a parade of US/AC/UA*Gs use it during the day
Perhaps A3 or TK should go into the lounge business and open up at a number of US Hubs (lounge only)?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:24 am

IAD certainly gets it share of *A visitors. ANA, South African, LH group and UA pax who will walk what feels like a mile to avoid the United Clubs.....

The IAD lounge needs a facelift in the worst way....furniture is starting to show age and abuse
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
The IAD lounge needs a facelift in the worst way....furniture is starting to show age and abuse
The IAD (Dulles) Lufthansa lounge looks very new- was it not restored in the last couple of years (I thought 2012 IIRC)? Also the boarding from the lounge for LH flights is a very nice feature and IAD has good catering particularly in the SEN/F section.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
The IAD (Dulles) Lufthansa lounge looks very new- was it not restored in the last couple of years (I thought 2012 IIRC)? Also the boarding from the lounge for LH flights is a very nice feature and IAD has good catering particularly in the SEN/F section.
you must have not seen it lately......the wood laminate tables between the seats are very frayed with most edges worn out showing the underlayment. Additionally several outlet covers built into the tables are damaged. Some are even held on by Scotch tape. I'm through there 8-10 times a year so I've gotten familiar with it. I wonder how the biz class lounge looks....next time I'll have a peak.

The lounge gets used a lot, and its not a tremendously big lounge so wear and tear shows quite easily.

The boarding convenience is fantastic.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you must have not seen it lately......
I guess not- my last visit was October 2013. In general the entire airport of IAD would not even make it on my Top 100 list.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:57 am

I guess not- my last visit was October 2013. In general the entire airport of IAD would not even make it on my Top 100 list.
It's not the prettiest of airports thats for sure. I'm surprised with your recent visit that you didnt see some of the wear/tear on the lounge.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not the prettiest of airports thats for sure. I'm surprised with your recent visit that you didnt see some of the wear/tear on the lounge.
Conditioning after being in many United States lounges that week- you start not to notice (although blissfully the UA Senator lounge does not have that mandatory television with CNN on that seem to be a borderline legal requirement in the rest of America).

Back to CLT/MUC- if LH sells tickets with AA from CLT-onwards perhaps they can continue to do something similar with US?

CLT is a great little hub and doesn't have the congestion nor weather disadvantages typically that many East Coast hubs face- the only issue is without onward connecting traffic can the flight last long-term?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
the only issue is without onward connecting traffic can the flight last long-term?
Yeah....that's what I am wondering. US' presence is so heavy in CLT. UA only flies to other cities (IAD, ORD, DEN) to which LH flies non-stop.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
CLT is a great little hub and doesn't have the congestion nor weather disadvantages typically that many East Coast hubs face- the only issue is without onward connecting traffic can the flight last long-term?
Considering the loads in C and in the cargo bay, I guess one can disregard a few passengers connecting on Euro 500 tickets to leisure destinations in Florida.

Nevertheless, I expect LH to talk to officials in CLT continuously, probably mentioning your point and their concerns about it...
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Very good news for my home state ^ CLT is an easy drive from the Raleigh Area so it's nice knowing we'll keep this leg to Europe
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA GS
Good news after a conversation with LH this evening....Lufthansa is in fact planning to reach out to the airport to see if an LH / *A lounge makes sense and gage the airport's interest. They think that the timing is right for them to pursue this.
Awesome!
Any insight on when they may open it? Am flying out on LH in August

Is there an interim arrangement to still use someone's lounge?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by steviebas
Awesome!
Any insight on when they may open it? Am flying out on LH in August

Is there an interim arrangement to still use someone's lounge?
They're just now planning to hold these conversations with CLT. No timetable that I am familiar with, but the 'infrastructure' is place - just need a few new signs.....

No interim arrangement exists AFAIK.

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Jan 26, 2014 at 2:50 pm
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Lufthansa Reaffirms Commitment to Charlotte-Munich Route

Have used both IAD LH lounges (SEN and Business Class) within the last 2 months. SEN lounge just last week and I didn't notice any of the issues mentioned above....then again maybe I don't pay that much attention to small issues like that as long as I have a quiet place to relax. I personally don't like the Business Class lounge due to its basement cavelike feel.

I've been flying out of IAD on Star for years and the current lounges are a HUGE improvement over the UA and other lounges they have used over the years. I personally think the lounges are on par with the BA lounges other than the fact that BA offers dinner service for late departing flights. (Which I wish Star would do as well....just flew Brussels Airlines Business Class and with a 10:30pm departure we didn't get food till around 11:30ish.)

I also use PHL as an option to IAD since I live in Baltimore so I'm interested in what the lounge solution will be for Star there after the US departure. US lounge isn't very good for food and drinks but it is a large lounge so it's typically not a mob scene.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
Have used both IAD LH lounges (SEN and Business Class) within the last 2 months. SEN lounge just last week and I didn't notice any of the issues mentioned above....then again maybe I don't pay that much attention to small issues like that as long as I have a quiet place to relax. I personally don't like the Business Class lounge due to its basement cavelike feel.

I've been flying out of IAD on Star for years and the current lounges are a HUGE improvement over the UA and other lounges they have used over the years. I personally think the lounges are on par with the BA lounges other than the fact that BA offers dinner service for late departing flights. (Which I wish Star would do as well....just flew Brussels Airlines Business Class and with a 10:30pm departure we didn't get food till around 11:30ish.)

I also use PHL as an option to IAD since I live in Baltimore so I'm interested in what the lounge solution will be for Star there after the US departure. US lounge isn't very good for food and drinks but it is a large lounge so it's typically not a mob scene.
I was looking with a very critical eye. Being an LH 'homer' I was looking to see how well the lounge reflects on LH. I've done this in the past and then shared the info with LH so that they can look into it and resolve anything that needs resolving (kind of like a 'secret shopper'). Don't get me wrong, the overall look of the lounge is good - better than virtually any UA club that I've been in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.