Overhead bin space in Embraer ERJ-190

Subscribe
I'm flying Lufthansa Cityline OTP>FRA in a few days on an Embraer ERJ-190. Never been on one of these before, and I'm wondering whether the overhead bins are standard sized and will fit a 9x14x20 rollaboard? I'm connecting to a 747-800 and would love to avoid checking a bag if possible. I'll be in J on both flights if it matters. I'm aware the Embraer doesn't have a dedicated business section, but instead blocks adjacent seats as needed.

I'm also curious about the stated 8kg limit European carriers seem to impose on carry-on bags, even rollaboards. Is it ever enforced? It seems petty to hew to the international standard for size, only to impose a weight limit half what American carriers allow. I mean, the bag is going on the plane regardless. If it fits, why should the weight matter if it isn't filled with gold bars?

Thanks, and apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.
You can see an image of the OH bin on the E190/5 here: https://plus.google.com/photos/10431...92179132158307

Your rollaboard should fit, if it doesn't you can store it under the empty blocked seat.

Yes, the weight is enforced, if the agent gets their hands on it. Pretty unlikely though. More reports about that are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-feedback.html
Quote: I'm flying Lufthansa Cityline OTP>FRA in a few days on an Embraer ERJ-190. Never been on one of these before, and I'm wondering whether the overhead bins are standard sized and will fit a 9x14x20 rollaboard? I'm connecting to a 747-800 and would love to avoid checking a bag if possible. I'll be in J on both flights if it matters. I'm aware the Embraer doesn't have a dedicated business section, but instead blocks adjacent seats as needed.

I'm also curious about the stated 8kg limit European carriers seem to impose on carry-on bags, even rollaboards. Is it ever enforced? It seems petty to hew to the international standard for size, only to impose a weight limit half what American carriers allow. I mean, the bag is going on the plane regardless. If it fits, why should the weight matter if it isn't filled with gold bars?

Thanks, and apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.
The weight monitoring is a hit/miss proposition. If your plane is full, I would expect more scrutiny - Also, if you look loaded down with other things like a brief case, shopping bags, etc., you may draw attention to yourself. You'll see a gate agent floating through the gate area trying to ID bags to check - just stay out of their way! If you board via bus or plane stairs, they may offer gate-checking it for the flight as well.
Thanks to you both for your help, though for some reason I can't see the image for which you provided a link. Gives me a 400 error.

Just so we're clear, it's a full-size rollaboard, so there's no way it'll fit under a regular seat. But if the bins are standard size, it'll easily fit into the bin wheels-first.

The weight limit just seems silly. Widely-ignored rules like that irk me.
The bins are significantly smaller than in the 320. My carry on is a bit smaller than the maximum allowed size. It fits barely sideways only when it is not completely full.
Quote: The bins are significantly smaller than in the 320. My carry on is a bit smaller than the maximum allowed size. It fits barely sideways only when it is not completely full.
I have a full size cabin trolley and it fit but sideways. You shouldnt have an issue. Just try to not make it 'look' heavy!

The weight limit is to help keep the shelves from having excess stress put on them.....and of course to generate revenue sometimes!
I think you are giving bad advice here to OP. A normal carry-on size is not really fitting into the overhead compartments of these regional jets, thats why you surrender it upon exiting the bus and before climbing the stairs and boarding. And you get it back the same way before the bus.
Its really that simple, no problem, no checking in, no overhead storing.
ian_btv likes this.
Quote: Thanks to you both for your help, though for some reason I can't see the image for which you provided a link. Gives me a 400 error.
Sorry, try this one: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...I3KCcVyLPwn9BI
Quote: I think you are giving bad advice here to OP. A normal carry-on size is not really fitting into the overhead compartments of these regional jets, thats why you surrender it upon exiting the bus and before climbing the stairs and boarding. And you get it back the same way before the bus.
My trolley hasn't had an issue in the overhead bin, so not exactly bad advice if it worked for me....
Quote: I think you are giving bad advice here to OP. A normal carry-on size is not really fitting into the overhead compartments of these regional jets, thats why you surrender it upon exiting the bus and before climbing the stairs and boarding. And you get it back the same way before the bus.
Ahhh, now this reassures me. So if I gate check it, I'll definitely get it back when I deplane, and I won't have to wait at baggage claim, nor check it to my final destination?
Quote: Ahhh, now this reassures me. So if I gate check it, I'll definitely get it back when I deplane, and I won't have to wait at baggage claim, nor check it to my final destination?
No this is not gate check-in, more like board check-in, and they usually do it when the plane is more than half-full. So absolutely no paperwork and stuff, but the carry-on travels in a separate luggage compartment under the plane, and not in the overhead bin.

Just take your more-or-less rules abiding carry-on with you, if they ask you to give them when boarding the plane the do it, if not then just stuff it somewhere. But definitely no check-in and no waiting for it. (and no connection hurdles)
Thanks again to everyone for the the suggestions, which were spot on as expected. I was especially pleased to note that the underseat storage was just as ample as described! I'm on the 747-8 now with my bag safely above me.