Wiki Posts
Search

Revamp of IFE for LH/LX/OS starting in 2014

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:05 am

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The ex2 on the A380 doesn't like the increased offering at all:

Makes one wonder how SQ/CX/EK manage to put so much content into their ex2 equipment.
I would hazard a guess that they have a more powerful server, and/or better networking out to each seat. The problem with having 'dumb terminals' to reduce cost in each head-unit is that you have to make sure the server and network don't become serious bottlenecks.

My experience on the A380 is that the server was woefully overloaded, even before trying to do more on-the-fly streaming. I would expect they've increased the encoding density of the material to fit more on the same storage, but that will increase the processing power needed to pull it, transcode it, and stream it.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Hmm... Panasonic says:

Available for both linefit and retrofit widebody aircraft, eX2 utilizes a unique building block architecture that gives it the flexibility to evolve with the airline's brand and strategy. This means that the airline can add the latest monitors, new peripherals or add even more content without making changes to the core system or existing media servers.
http://www.panasonic.aero/inflightsy...s/systems.aspx
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Not sure if this is the appropriate thread (if not feel free to move it, I'm not an LH regular).

Flew LH 494 (MUC - YYZ) in F on an A330 with an incredible crew. The reason I'm posting here though is with regards to the IFE. The IFE had an option for "Live Sports" and while the WC was not on during my flight, they were showing live tennis action from Wimbledon. There were no interruptions at any point I was watching (I turned it on just as we were approaching the first bit of land for North America).

Not sure if this is a regular thing but bravo to LH for offering it - I enjoyed watching Federer v. Warwrinka and would've enjoyed a WC match had I still been on the plane when they started.

As an aside it appears the WC special offerings are no longer available - they gave us a free CD but the special drink that the purser personally recommended turned out not to be offered any longe (he profusely apologized)
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:09 pm

Media World IFE

I happen to enjoy the IFE on Lufthansa with their selection of movies, music and the Airshow Niceview. One of my rituals is to watch the Airshow Niceview along with one of their music selections. I love the radio channels too.

I don't know if you remember the old days when they would say"On flights from such and such a location could watch it".

Who here enjoys Media World? It sure puts United Airlines to shame.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:31 am

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
Originally Posted by danielonn
I happen to enjoy the IFE on Lufthansa with their selection of movies, music and the Airshow Niceview. One of my rituals is to watch the Airshow Niceview along with one of their music selections. I love the radio channels too.

I don't know if you remember the old days when they would say"On flights from such and such a location could watch it".

Lufthansa has Internet on board. I just use my tablet to stream my favourite Music or Video...
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:47 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Most of what I want to watch is only available on A380, 748i and newer A333. Very disappointing if you are on 744, A346, etc.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:17 am

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Most of the programs I have already seen, I enjoy contemporary music only in very selected doses. I seldomly use IFE on LH. That has little to do with LH's choices who have to cater for a broad audience, more with my personal taste. What I spent most of my time with on board a plane when it comes to entertainment: NPR Radiolab, Howard Stern Radioshows (2 Episodes equal one trip to NYC from MUC).

The new IFEs definitely are a big upgrade to the mediocre and tiny selection on the old system.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:54 am

Maybe on 747 and some other ghetto birds still in service, but a newer config like a 777 is much better on UA.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by mamb0
Most of the programs I have already seen, I enjoy contemporary music only in very selected doses. I seldomly use IFE on LH. That has little to do with LH's choices who have to cater for a broad audience, more with my personal taste. What I spent most of my time with on board a plane when it comes to entertainment: NPR Radiolab, Howard Stern Radioshows (2 Episodes equal one trip to NYC from MUC).

The new IFEs definitely are a big upgrade to the mediocre and tiny selection on the old system.
I did not realize streaming worked so well on an airplane. I thought it would be choppy like an old dial-up connection. Do you download the episode podcasts or stream them?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Lack
Maybe on 747 and some other ghetto birds still in service, but a newer config like a 777 is much better on UA.
UA can't even play classical music for years ... their IFE is mostly pathetic. LH is not great either but calling UA superior is a joke.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
UA can't even play classical music for years ... their IFE is mostly pathetic. LH is not great either but calling UA superior is a joke.
I can't remember the last time I listed on IFE music (bringing your own is way more convinient and safer optiont then relying on the carrier).

LH for years though that they can upsell people to C because of their pathetic Y IFE, and even now most of the content is route/aircraft specifc and in delightfull low res, looking worse then a 700mb divx from the old days.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
I did not realize streaming worked so well on an airplane. I thought it would be choppy like an old dial-up connection. Do you download the episode podcasts or stream them?
I streamed live tv and radio, netflix, hulu, did streaming via progressive download, used Facetime and bluejeans.com. If its available its quite good. But I wouldn't bank on it for entertainment purposes... Availability is too scarce.

My example were downloaded before flight. NPR has a great App, most podcasts I am subscribed too, I get automatic updates and SiriusXM's app has a good offline feature with which you can download shows for offline consumption.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:45 am

Updated IFE Lufthansa A330

Hi all,

In preparation for my upcoming trip, I've been doing a little research on the planes I'll be flying. The first 2 legs are the most important, as they are the longest. The second leg is on a South African Airways A340-600, which I'm prepared to not have in-seat power on. I was assuming the same, for the Lufthansa A330 I'll be on during the first leg, until I found this video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTIjt0axM-Y

It's the only evidence I can find of updated IFE (with a USB port) on any Lufthansa A330. I was wondering if someone has flown on one of these updated A330s, and if they could tell me which route it was on! I haven't flown Lufthansa in 4 years, so I have no reference point.

Oh also, the route I'm flying is BOS-MUC!

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Interesting, I wasn't aware of this..... Is this only for the A330? Or A380 too?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:21 pm

Not sure, I assume the A380 will keep the IFE it currently has as they're equipped with USB charging ports already!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.