Wiki Posts
Search

OS offers Business upgrades when overbooked

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, Privelege Platinum
OS offers Business upgrades when overbooked

Just came back from Bangkok with OS. At check-in, special offer for upgrade in business for EUR 350,- per pax. Asked to be upgraded free of charge as HON. Staff first refused, saying my ticket (miles ticket for the whole family) did not allow any upgrade.
As I had been upgraded on the same ticket from Vienna to BKK, I requested to speak with the flight manager and to complain with Management in Vienna. At the end, got the upgrade in Business free of charge for 2 PAX, my friend paid 2 x EUR 350 and got 3 upgrades in Business.
I believe OS sold about 10 upgrades on this flight.
Conclusion: with such cheap offers by airlines, it becomes more and more difficult as a HON to get any upgrade due to overbooking
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SQ Gold
So you were on a reward ticket anyway, then played the DYKWIA-card and now you are telling us the nice story that a company indeed prefers to make money with its services instead of feeding it to freeloaders.

Really?!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Conclusion: If you want to fly business, get an award ticket in business.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:51 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
An aggresive pitch at checkin to upgrade with miles/vouchers/cash is a clear indicator that the flight is oversold. Still they will and should upgrade those willing to pay something first before giving out op-upgrades for free.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:02 pm
Formerly known as koeche

Programs: LX HON, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 11, Adobe Creative Suite
Generally I agree with Oliver and at one point I asked myself why those upgrade offers are not being made more often. To avoid annoying their loyal customers (aka FFP slaves) too much I would just sell status clients such upgrades at half the price or so. The airline still gets some money but the loyalty is still being recognized.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:53 pm
DUS

Programs: LH HON, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mike Indo
Asked to be upgraded free of charge as HON. ... I requested to speak with the flight manager and to complain with Management in Vienna.
Is that a standard and accepted behaviour of HONs these days? The German word "Peinlich!" comes to mind!

Last edited by DUS; Aug 11, 2012 at 3:35 am
Old Aug 10, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by oliver2002
An aggresive pitch at checkin to upgrade with miles/vouchers/cash is a clear indicator that the flight is oversold. Still they will and should upgrade those willing to pay something first before giving out op-upgrades for free.
Upgrading a HON is hardly "for free".
Originally Posted by TT-Jones
So you were on a reward ticket anyway, then played the DYKWIA-card and now you are telling us the nice story that a company indeed prefers to make money with its services instead of feeding it to freeloaders.

Really?!
Yes .... just that you omitted the crucial facts here:
  • flight was oversold
  • upgrades were hawked off at a fraction of the buy up price
An oversold situation is the classic scenario when elites should be picked over anyone else.

OS is just following the new LH paradigm that "there is no such thing as an elite".
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
[QUOTE=weero;

OS is just following the new LH paradigm that "there is no such thing as an elite".[/QUOTE]
it is hardly the new LH paradigm.
Way back in 2004, LH agent at SIN suggested that I upgrade to F with e-vouchers as I had lots of them to spend. Since I knew C was oversold, I asked her why doesn't she give me an op-up instead, and she told me they were told to find some SENs to upgrade with vouchers first before op- ups.
I suppose they got some as I flew C.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 1:24 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by DUS
Is that standard and accepted behaviour of HONs these day?
HONs are becoming beggars these days not elite flyers as they used to be
Old Aug 11, 2012, 1:28 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Asked to be upgraded free of charge as HON. Staff first refused, saying my ticket (miles ticket for the whole family) did not allow any upgrade.
I don't know who gave you the impression as a HON that you are entitled for a free upgrade to C class while flying on an Y award ticket ???

Man you are asking for toooo much
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:37 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
How sad...
Old Aug 11, 2012, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I requested to speak with the flight manager and to complain with Management in Vienna. At the end, got the upgrade inid not allow any upgrade.

Conclusion: with such cheap offers by airlines, it becomes more and more difficult as a HON to get any upgrade due to overbooking
Sensible conclusion, but an ugly story. Throwing your weight around at check-in is always an embarrassment, but especially so in Thailand. Not a pretty picture.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 7:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by weero
Upgrading a HON is hardly "for free".

Yes .... just that you omitted the crucial facts here:
  • flight was oversold
  • upgrades were hawked off at a fraction of the buy up price
An oversold situation is the classic scenario when elites should be picked over anyone else.

OS is just following the new LH paradigm that "there is no such thing as an elite".
puhlease... OS has sold cash upgrades at checkin and on board the past 10-12 years I have been flying them longahul. The cost was always around 350-500€, with the new red|up its become cheaper. 350€ is technically a fraction, but certainly the same as the usual standing offer.

OS is currently not making any money from its operations. I fail to understand why they shouldn't look for additional revenue before upgrading elite pax on award tickets. Imagine a weero was in line waving 350€ wanting to upgrade and noticing that a DYKWIA HON on an award tix got upgraded along with his entire party.... and weero stays in economy....
Old Aug 11, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Well I'm just baffled the OP even chose to purchase an Economy Class award ticket in the first place. After all, being a HON clearly he should've a stash of miles big enough for forking out those extra miles for a biz award.

But then again, maybe the OP felt that given the ridiculously high taxes&YQ that M&M charges on award tickets (let alone the fact that spending miles on Y awards is considered a crime in FT terms ) would entitle him to a free upgrade anyway...
Old Aug 11, 2012, 4:12 pm
DUS

Programs: LH HON, Hilton Diamond
In another thread the OP says that they got an upgrade to C on their flight to BKK, too. Well, Mike Indo clearly seems to believe that his HON status entitles him to be upgraded every time he sets foot onboard a plane.

Peinlich!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.