Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Utter noob needs advice to help make my BF's father's last trip awesome.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Utter noob needs advice to help make my BF's father's last trip awesome.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by projectfilly
Yeah, I got that earlier. I called in just out of curiosity to see about upgrading now, and the very nice lady said "Okay, hon, the fare difference plus the change fee will be $9134.25....per person. You wanna go ahead and do that?"

At which point I came on here to ask for advice...which is probably why the "suggestions" I got from the first few replies rubbed me wrong.

Thanks again, and I'll keep my fingers crossed.
However, I am sure you checked Lufthansa.com for prices? A new ticket is "only" $6000 in business for the dates you mentioned (Z Fare). Not exactly cheap and I dont know the cancellation rules for your current Economy tickets (I suspect you would not get much back...), but would it be an option to buy new tickets?

If not, it sounds like LH calculated the difference to full fare Business. I am not the fare expert around here, but maybe some others can comment on the feasibility of paying the fare difference V to Z only??

PS. Welcome to FT and I hope you decide to stick around. As sschwenk said, most of the people around here are quite friendly and helpful!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:21 am

Yeah, I got that earlier. I called in just out of curiosity to see about upgrading now, and the very nice lady said "Okay, hon, the fare difference plus the change fee will be $9134.25....per person. You wanna go ahead and do that?"

At which point I came on here to ask for advice...which is probably why the "suggestions" I got from the first few replies rubbed me wrong.

Thanks again, and I'll keep my fingers crossed.
So you are new to the forum, start you first post with a story, asking for advice and comments and then you start swearing straight away.

Well remember FT is not a travel agency. People in here a very commited to providing answers, not to mention the extra mile to investigate things. So your reaction is kind of a fb/youtube standard, but not welcome on FT.

Nevertheless have a good trip in C - at least for your dad and you bf. If you get them the last rows in C, and you get the first ones in Y then it can save you alot of money and still is kind of a familly trip...
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:47 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Some tiny slices of advice

Sorry for any trouble caused by other posters which didn´t respond accordingly to your post at the first glimpse. Just have two tiny slices of advice:

1.) All fares for Economy Class at Lufthansa enable a choice of a specific seat.

Just have made a price quotation for your flights and that delivers:

Economy Basic II Economy Basic Plus II Economy Basic Plus III Economy Flex
Umbuchung: USD 250 USD 250 USD 250 kostenlos
Erstattung: nicht enthalten USD 300 USD 300 kostenlos
Meilengutschrift:* 100% 100% 150% 150%
Meilenupgrade:** erlaubt erlaubt erlaubt erlaubt
Sitzplatzreservierung:*** Sitzplatzreservierung Sitzplatzreservierung Sitzplatzreservierung Sitzplatzreservierung

All fares enable the seat reservation

So you can just phone Lufthansa and ask for the allocation of a specific seat which you can designate by row number and the letter.

Seat maps can be found here:
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...d=1755376&l=de

So ask them which aircraft variant of B747-400 it is.

Then you can reserve the economy seats of both together and avoiding them being stuck in the not-so desired middle seats.

2.) Indeed upgrading at Lufthansa is much more expensive than at other carriers which have a policy of price fluctuation and then trying to UPSELL people for one class of service against cash. BA does this regularly but in that case there is no guarantee of the offer and the upselling would only be from Economy Class to Premium Economy (called World Traveller Plus)

3.) Assumed they would like to have more space than in Economy they can pay ONE additional seat in Economy. Then they could reserve the three seats for two adults. This wouldn´t enable the family experience but having them more space together.

4.) For Upgrade against miles it´s a bit late. But if there would be more time for the next flight you can just search for Credit Cards delivering Lufthansa Miles&More miles. And then combine miles being purchased from Miles&More and the credit card option miles.

So if I would be you I would buy this one Extraseat and then reserve a complete block of three seats. As this seat is paid and sold no other passenger can use it.

You can enforce it by having the boarding pass ready which shows the "normal" seat and the "additional" seat.

Hope this helps.

Sorry have no other idea for a solution.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:33 am
Suspended

I understand that taking a nonstop flight would probably be the best and certainly most comfortable. Have you considered working with a good TA or searching yourself for 4 business class seats on another airline, perhaps there are better prices than with LH and then you could allocate four seats together?

I think that likely the best suggestion is to switch seats with parents. Coach is livable and you and you're SO could certainly feel good about making the switch. Outside of this there isnt really much choice, you have no miles and cannot pay for the price difference. Its not as if you could all be together anyway like on a train where you could all sit and talk together.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:43 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Risking that I could be sweared and yelled at - did you pre-order and prepay the oxygen? It appears that LH chages for it extra (see also this link:
Oxygen on Lufthansa aircrafts

Wenoll system available on all Lufthansa operated flights and in all classes. Exceptions: not available on Cityline or regional partners. Usage in First Class during take-off and landing is not possible.

Charges:
Continental flights: EUR 150 per leg.
Intercontinental flights: EUR 300 per leg.

If after reading the various topics above, you have a specific medical question that has not been answered, please feel free to contact our Medical Desk. The Lufthansa Medical Desk is open Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. EST at the following number: 1-516-296-9580.
BTW, there are airlines that do not allow oxygen in discounted buckets and one has to pay higher bucket to be able to travel with oxygen...
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:53 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Also, if anyone could check the upgrade inventory for me, I would be so appreciative. We're booked on LH451 on 7/25, and LH450 on 8/30. I thought we'd be on the new 747-8i by then, but they gave our plane to New Delhi instead of LA!!! GRR!

Thanks so much!!!
Here is current inventory - that gives you pretty good idea of upgrade chances:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.2/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]
Code:
LAX  Los Angeles Intl CA US [KLAX]
FRA  Frankfurt Metro / Intl DE = FRA HHN [EDDF]
WED  25 Jul 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------------
LH         451     LAX   19:05     FRA   14:50     744      F5 A5 J9 C9 D9 Z9 P0 R0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 N0 V6 W2 S7 T2 L2 K0
Code:
THU  30 Aug 2012

---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------------
LH         450     FRA   14:00     LAX   16:40     744      F3 A3 J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R2 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 N4 V9 W9 S9 T9 L0 K0
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vbroucek
Here is current inventory - that gives you pretty good idea of upgrade chances:

Code:
WED  25 Jul 2012

LH         451     LAX   19:05     FRA   14:50     744      F5 A5 J9 C9 D9 Z9 P0 R0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 N0 V6 W2 S7 T2 L2 K0
Code:
THU  30 Aug 2012

LH         450     FRA   14:00     LAX   16:40     744      F3 A3 J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R2 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 N4 V9 W9 S9 T9 L0 K0

Seriously, thank you SO much. This is exactly what I was looking for!!!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

What I really don't get if you really want them to take the trip is that you dismiss the option of 2 people sitting in business and the other two in economy so easily.

Arguments as you want it to be a family trip (won't you be staying Germany together, it's only a few hours on the plane?) or that your boyfriend doesn't like to travel in Y (sure it's not really comfortable but a lot of people do it everyday) seem really weak, especially given the circumtances.

The price is what it is, really no way to avoid that. Upgrades on these economy fares just won't happen. So just fly with a combination of business and economy....

Last edited by RTW1; Jul 17, 2012 at 12:45 pm
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
What I really don't get if you really want them to take the trip is that you dismiss the option of 2 people sitting in business and the other two in economy so easily.

Arguments as you want it to be a family trip (won't you be staying Germany together, it's only a few hours on the plane?) or that your boyfriend doesn't like to travel in Y (sure it's not really comfortable but a lot of people do it everyday) seem really weak, especially given the circumtances.

The price is what it is, really no way to avoid that. Upgrades on these economy fares just won't happen. So just fly with a combination of business and economy....
Good, practical advice.

But how dare you tell the OP something she doesn't want to hear?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I checked that I'm not on the same flight :-).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.