Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10 hrs delay between FRA and MAA, what is the compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

10 hrs delay between FRA and MAA, what is the compensation?

My wife and I missed our flight between FRA and MAA. We boarded our first Lufthansa flight in the morning, which got delayed due to technical issues and could not catch the connecting flight. We were booked in Emirates and arrived the next morning after 10hrs delay. I have written to Lufthansa customer service and we are offered $100 in total for this. Is this a reasonable compensation?
I am a United Premier and the tickets were paid economy tickets.
Can someone advice?
Thank you
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lonelystar
My wife and I missed our flight between FRA and MAA. We boarded our first Lufthansa flight in the morning, which got delayed due to technical issues and could not catch the connecting flight. We were booked in Emirates and arrived the next morning after 10hrs delay. I have written to Lufthansa customer service and we are offered $100 in total for this. Is this a reasonable compensation?
Can someone advice?
Thank you
In this situation I think you are lucky to get $100. It is unfortunate, however if the delay was technical and you were put on a flight which allowed you to arrive as quickly as possible- you should take what was offered.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
In this situation I think you are lucky to get $100. It is unfortunate, however if the delay was technical and you were put on a flight which allowed you to arrive as quickly as possible- you should take what was offered.
Uh, no. The OP is due much more compensation under EU 261.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Axey
Uh, no. The OP is due much more compensation under EU 261.
The delay was due to a missed connection. EU261 is not going to help. The "Uh, No' though is particularly well appreciated here. Cheers and thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:49 am

The delay was due to a missed connection. EU261 is not going to help. The "Uh, No' though is particularly well appreciated here. Cheers and thanks.
Then you know much more than the ECJ. Exactly that question is currently under review there.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FTMucGer
Then you know much more than the ECJ. Exactly that question is currently under review there.
The OP has been offered a $100. This is more than even LH own frequent flyers are offered. I would take the money and be done with it.

If the OP still wants to fight a claim with the EU reg good luck- I don't think they will get anywhere- and if LH put the OP on the next possible flight to arrive in Chennai which wasn't even on a STAR carrier I would say LH did all they could.

Missing a connection due to a technical delay of an incoming aircraft for a connection to a non-EU country is hardly what the EU reg set out to protect against.

I have missed connections at both FRA and MUC and been put on flights the next day if they are too longhaul destinations- it happens- that is part of flying- to ask for compensation would really be a bit much in this situation other than any actual out-of-pocket expenses incurred as a direct result of the action.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: LH SEN
Had a similar situation and was offered 7500 miles... No cash.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...pensation.html
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Thank you for everyone's response. If I come to the airport late due to some unavoidable circumstance, I would lose substantial amount of the ticket or may be the entire ticket value, but if it is airline's fault, then the compensation of $50 per person should be acceptable.... Lufthansa has its guidelines defined under EU 261 and clearly overlooks it.
My flight started from BHX and then connected to FRA-MAA, so this is a situation that happened within the EU, although my original ticket was bought here in the US through travel agent. I want to get the right compensation, whatever it is, I should not have to beg for it.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:46 am

Missing a connection due to a technical delay of an incoming aircraft for a connection to a non-EU country is hardly what the EU reg set out to protect against.
Really! I beg to differ.

The OP suffered a long delay (in excess of 3 hours) in arriving at their final destination (MAA). Since this was on a flight departing the EU, 261/2004 governs the situation.

The Sturgeon judgement extended the right to compensation to passengers "where they suffer, on account of a flight delay, a loss of time equal to or in excess of three hours, that is, where they reach their final destination three hours or more after the arrival time originally scheduled by the air carrier. Such a delay does not, however, entitle passengers to compensation if the air carrier can prove that the long delay was caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken, namely circumstances beyond the actual control of the air carrier."

Article 5(3) of Regulation No 261/2004 must be interpreted as meaning that a technical problem in an aircraft which leads to the cancellation or delay of a flight is not covered by the concept of ‘extraordinary circumstances’ within the meaning of that provision, unless that problem stems from events which, by their nature or origin, are not inherent in the normal exercise of the activity of the air carrier concerned and are beyond its actual control.

It appears that according to precedent case law that the OP is due compensation for the delay. In case you doubt that missed connections are covered by the Reg, you might like to examine the definition of 'Final Destination' stated in 261/2004:

(h) "final destination" means the destination on the ticket presented at the check-in counter or, in the case of directly connecting flights, the destination of the last flight; alternative connecting flights available shall not be taken into account if the original planned arrival time is respected;
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by fontafly
Had a similar situation and was offered 7500 miles... No cash.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...pensation.html
I already commented in that thread that the law is on your side vis-a-vis compensation due to your delay...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Centipede100
I already commented in that thread that the law is on your side vis-a-vis compensation due to your delay...
I remember. However, another person replied that EU261/2004 does not cover connections. I have the feeling that, in the end, it's a matter of wanting to go to court or not...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:03 pm

I remember. However, another person replied that EU261/2004 does not cover connections.
So having read my post on your thread quoting a case where the judge clearly accepted connections are covered, and my post explaining this above, you still don't sound convinced...

I have the feeling that, in the end, it's a matter of wanting to go to court or not....
You are absolutely 100% correct, airlines almost never pay up compensation even when its a clear cut case, leaving most claimants to issue proceedings or walk away.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Centipede100
So having read my post on your thread quoting a case where the judge clearly accepted connections are covered, and my post explaining this above, you still don't sound convinced...
How does an example where you counter one case that is lost with one case that is won make it a clear cut case?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by lonelystar
Can someone advice?
Thank you
Let them do the work for you. It may be a while before you get anything though..

http://www.euclaim.co.uk/
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

I am surprised: missed connection is something that happens with all the airlines and all over the world. A major airline like Lufthansa should have clear guidelines and should be able to follow it with every customer in the appropriate category (economy/business/first). This should not have to vary significantly from one person to the other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.