The Bangalore Express, a Networker's Paradise

Funny article about the special crowd flying San Franciso-FRA-Bangalore on LH

“Forget first class,” he says. “I tried that once: Everybody just slept.”
http://www.businessweek.com/articles...rkers-paradise

http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report...valley_1660426
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is funny- thanks for posting!

There are a few flights that seem to be like the one described- Shanghai is another one.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
That is funny- thanks for posting!

There are a few flights that seem to be like the one described- Shanghai is another one.
The early morning HKG-SIN is full of people brandishing business cards, they get very disappointed by either of mine.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Funny article, but exaggerated. Flying to BLR and MAA quite frequently. Article is example of modern journalism.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by volta
Funny article, but exaggerated.
I agree. I've thankfully never been on a flight with so many people introducing themselves and switching seats. Sounds like the writer figured he should make it seem interesting to justify the expense to his editor.

And LH uses the United Club in SFO.

Does anybody actually call LH 455 the 'Bangalore Express'? I doubt it.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold
People prefer slopey Lufthansa seats over CX or SQ (and shorter flight times)? Really?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:26 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by mec72
People prefer slopey Lufthansa seats over CX or SQ (and shorter flight times)? Really?
Which is *why* LH is a better option for networking!

(They cannot sleep on those slopey seats, thus requiring another activity on board! )

Personally, I now try to sleep as much as I can on flights, but difficult on LH to say the least, given that my routings only allow 3-4 hours max, considering the time to cruising altitude, meal service, the 40-60 minute advance warning to have seats upright, etc.!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:31 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
It's hard to believe that this sort of business occurs with regular frequency in today's austerity environment.

Most of the people that I see in the lounges and up front generally keep to themselves.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by will2288

Does anybody actually call LH 455 the 'Bangalore Express'? I doubt it.
The route SFO-FRA-BLR is well known by this name and LH455 has the best connection to LH754 (FRA-BLR). So you can argue that the combination LH455/754 is the Bangalore Express. I hope India will soon let LH fly the A380 to Bangalore. This would definitely help in the competitive situation.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:12 am

Agree. Ridiculously exaggerated! I'm on this flight 2x/year and don't see anything remotely close to what the article describes.

Then come the 80 business-class travelers. After a few hours, they're ready to stretch their legs. They gather in groups by the galley. They switch seats to get closer to people they want to talk to. Entrepreneurs stalk venture capitalists, salesmen scope out new clients, and CEOs get bombarded with business cards.

By the time the plane arrives in Frankfurt, cliques have formed. For the last leg of the flight, it's 100 percent techies, and the dance begins again.

Originally Posted by volta
Funny article, but exaggerated. Flying to BLR and MAA quite frequently. Article is example of modern journalism.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:15 am

Shorter flight times on SQ/CX perhaps, but long transit times in SIN/HKG vs FRA.

Originally Posted by mec72
Old Mar 11, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Perhaps this article was written by someone to persuade their employer to pay for business class on their trip to India?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam
Perhaps this article was written by someone to persuade their employer to pay for business class on their trip to India?

^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.