Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New LH Ad campaign motto: 'Nonstop you'

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by oliver2002
No clue. As a smallish German chemical company based in Munich we afford ourselves an inhouse translation unit that supposedly has native speakers. The Denglish they generate is horrid and any protests from my end are never accepted. I'll email you an example.
I have noticed in certain tradeshows/conferences that this Denglish sometimes is interpreted as a positive thing, as its in some ways connected with german engineering quality.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:19 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
No clue. As a smallish German chemical company based in Munich we afford ourselves an inhouse translation unit that supposedly has native speakers. The Denglish they generate is horrid and any protests from my end are never accepted. I'll email you an example.
Great, thank you! And sorry for the late response. Have read my PMs first and then your contribution here.

An inhouse translation unit is great, but sometimes the "4-eyes-principle" is better.

So just send the material after the translation to any of the subsidiaries in the target country and a native speaker (needn't to be a language professional) can give your translators valuable hints. Especially in view of the cultural context.

So you can combine language ability with local knowledge.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Different spin for the German market:

View Screen Capture
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by kanor
I have noticed in certain tradeshows/conferences that this Denglish sometimes is interpreted as a positive thing, as its in some ways connected with german engineering quality.
The difference between a "bug" and a "feature" often rests in how it is promoted...

Originally Posted by gum
An inhouse translation unit is great, but sometimes the "4-eyes-principle" is better.

So just send the material after the translation to any of the subsidiaries in the target country and a native speaker (needn't to be a language professional) can give your translators valuable hints. Especially in view of the cultural context.

So you can combine language ability with local knowledge.
This is sound advice. Hint: for most people translating out of a foreign language and into their native language works a lot better than translating out of their native language and into a foreign language. And when the material is technical, it gets even worse unless the person actually understands what it is s/he is translating.

Different spin for the German market:
I got this too, but I can't seem to find such fares on the days I want to travel...
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:02 am

As a smallish German chemical company based in Munich we afford ourselves an inhouse translation unit that supposedly has native speakers. The Denglish they generate is horrid and any protests from my end are never accepted.
I am starting to conclude that one of the most powerful people in German society is the 8th-grade English teacher.

Despite even published examples to the contrary, many of my colleagues would rather believe what some idiot taught them in their advanced English course in school than what native speakers, some with formal language training, try to tell them is correct. The effect is also sometimes compounded by the belief (also often promulgated by said English teachers) that there is such a thing as standard English that is recognized worldwide.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by N1003U
I am starting to conclude that one of the most powerful people in German society is the 8th-grade English teacher.

Despite even published examples to the contrary, many of my colleagues would rather believe what some idiot taught them in their advanced English course in school than what native speakers, some with formal language training, try to tell them is correct. The effect is also sometimes compounded by the belief (also often promulgated by said English teachers) that there is such a thing as standard English that is recognized worldwide.
I think its more like the effect of germans rule and authority mania, and its hard to get as much (relatively speaking) authority on a german adult, as an elementary school teacher has on a school kid. So you have little chance of "overwriting" what they learned back then.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:56 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by N1003U
many of my colleagues would rather believe what some idiot taught them in their advanced English course in school than what native speakers, some with formal language training, try to tell them is correct.
Some things never change. Many years ago I taught English at a German university, along with four other university educated native speakers of English (from Britain, Ireland and the US) and a large number of German colleagues. Some of the Germans were extremely good at correcting our pronunciation and putting us right on matters of grammar and usage.

You'd be surprised how many otherwise sensible firms take a completely unprofessional approach to translations. It's not at all unusual to hear of assignments being given to someone's son/daughter on the basis that they just spent a semester in Spain/France/England.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Yep, some years back I helped my cousins son with his English homework and pretty much everything I did was wrong according to the 8th grade teacher who corrected his homework.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:12 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by kanor
I think its more like the effect of germans rule and authority mania, and its hard to get as much (relatively speaking) authority on a german adult, as an elementary school teacher has on a school kid. So you have little chance of "overwriting" what they learned back then.
+1 ^
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:36 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Yep, some years back I helped my cousins son with his English homework and pretty much everything I did was wrong according to the 8th grade teacher who corrected his homework.
Unbelievable, when all I'm missing in your suspiciously long sentence is an apostrophe and maybe some commas!

HTB.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by htb
Unbelievable, when all I'm missing in your suspiciously long sentence is an apostrophe and maybe some commas!

HTB.
I count two commas and one apostrophe, but the sentence is clear enough composed as to be understood without them....
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:22 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
The sentence is fine apart from the missing apostrophe, which we can put down to a slip of the fingers. Americans would add some commas. I wouldn't.

But of course in this thread the opinions of native speakers of English aren't really helpful.

Lufthansa: nonstop muppets.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IMH
The sentence is fine apart from the missing apostrophe, which we can put down to a slip of the fingers. Americans would add some commas. I wouldn't.

But of course in this thread the opinions of native speakers of English aren't really helpful.
Yep, I would blame the fact that I have a ISC . When I mentioned to a German colleague that the ISC qualifies one to study in the UK as if you have the required GCSE A levels, the response was an instant: 'people who can't manage the abitur in Germany go to the UK to do A levels'
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:04 am

Yep, I would blame the fact that I have a ISC . When I mentioned to a German colleague that the ISC qualifies one to study in the UK as if you have the required GCSE A levels, the response was an instant: 'people who can't manage the abitur in Germany go to the UK to do A levels'
...or they go to work on ad campaigns for LH.

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel..
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Other Kolle-Rebe 'highlights':

http://www.kolle-rebbe.de/en/cases/

Kingdom of Sports
Fat kills. Kill fat.

Silhouette
Feel LITE. Show STYLE.

MUSTANG
It’s not wrong to be true.

A senior art director only needs 4 years of experience:

http://www.kolle-rebbe.de/en/jobs/

Their 137 employees on Xing are a mixed bag:
https://www.xing.com/companies/kollerebbegmbh/employees

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.