Wiki Posts
Search

Award tickets on Condor

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH (SEN), IHG (Plat Amb)
Award tickets on Condor

I have seen on several occasions that Miles & More charges three times more "taxes and fees" for an award ticket than Condor.

Just now, checking for a ticket from Frankfurt to Male: the taxes and fees on the Condor website are 105 EUR:

outbound flight
Fuel surcharge 12 €
German Aviation Tax 45 €
Taxes/commercial fees 20 €
Service charge 3 €

return flight
Fuel surcharge 12 €
Taxes/commercial fees 10 €
Service charge 3 €

Miles and more charges 315 EUR for the award ticket.

Does anyone know why M&M charges such high taxes and fees? Probably they make us pay higher fuel surcharges? I have not find any information about additional charges on their website.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: M&M FTL, A3 Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by jochen_vdk
Does anyone know why M&M charges such high taxes and fees? Probably they make us pay higher fuel surcharges? I have not find any information about additional charges on their website.
Correct, M&M adds 220€ YQ the normal taxes. IMHO its a shame on itself to charge YQ on award tickets, because fuel is obvious part of the fare and not of the taxes. So much the worse, that M&M charges even YQ which arent incurrend on the normal tickets.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Yes, they seem to calculate higher YQ than the 24 EUR that Condor charges on paid tickets. I do not want to start a discussion about the fact that many airlines charge money for their award tickets, I think we all agree that this is pure devaluation of miles. But they are actually charging higher fuel surcharges than the airline itself

I do not really know on which basis they are doing this. Their T&C clearly state that taxes and fuel surcharges need to be paid in cash on top of the miles, but the T&C do not say that Miles & More is actually deciding by itself how high the "fuel surcharges" are...

So on top of the 60000 miles and no companion award, they put 220 EUR in their pocket that are not included in the taxes and surcharges of the airline! I already knew Condor awards were not worth the miles but this is really really not worth the miles!

It is just a shame they have a lot of destinations not served by LH.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I would ask them to reprice the ticket again... if you make a regular booking with VC (validating carrier) as LH on DE fares the regular YQ is charged

Code:
FXP/R,VC-LH                                                                     

01 TEST/OLIVER                                                                  

LAST TKT DTE 22SEP11 - SEE ADV PURCHASE                                         
------------------------------------------------------------                    
     AL FLGT  BK T DATE  TIME  FARE BASIS      NVB  NVA   BG                    
 FRA                                                                            
 MLE DE  6326 B  B 05NOV 2015  BDEM            05NOV05NOV 20                    
 FRA DE  6327 B  B 13NOV 1135  BDEM            13NOV13NOV 20                    

EUR  1558.00      05NOV11FRA DE MLE1136.99DE FRA1136.99NUC                      
                  2273.98END ROE0.685142                                        
EUR    24.00YQ    XT EUR 29.09RA EUR 6.43DE EUR 15.01BQ                         
EUR    45.00OY                                                                  
EUR    50.53XT                                                                  
EUR  1677.53                                                                    
BG CXR: DE/DE
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks Oliver. Is this valid for award flights as well? While buying a paid ticket the taxes are like in your overview but the Miles and More people keep on coming with the 350 EUR taxes and fees. Maybe I just did not talk to the right agents then, I will give it another try.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:53 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The interline agreement with DE should consider the YQ DE normally charges even when LH is the VC.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:21 pm

I am still surprised that nobody is considering legal action against this airline street robbery. I am pretty sure that the whole practice of fuel surcharges will not find many fans amonst European judges. If German railways will raise fares soon because energy costs went up - no fuel surcharge there - why can't airlines do the same?

I know, this was discussed elsewhere before, but I am still puzzled.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 4:51 am
Original Poster

They won't do it. I have talked to several people:

- e-mail: treat me like stupid, start explaining me the concept of taxes and fees and never answer my question

- senator service: also treat me like stupid, and insist the taxes they have in their system are correct

- online chat: they are stupid themselves and have not managed to explain me more than the fact that Condor and Miles and More are not the same.

So I drop the Condor idea, for that price it is really not worth! On top of that, they do not even have Companion Awards.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: QF LTG, LH LT-FTL (HON till 02/25), AB-G†
They won't do it. I have talked to several people:

- e-mail: treat me like stupid, start explaining me the concept of taxes and fees and never answer my question

- senator service: also treat me like stupid, and insist the taxes they have in their system are correct

- online chat: they are stupid themselves and have not managed to explain me more than the fact that Condor and Miles and More are not the same.

So I drop the Condor idea, for that price it is really not worth! On top of that, they do not even have Companion Awards.
I would generally avoid Condor. It changed to a very bad airline - just a low cost carrier.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tyrolean
I would generally avoid Condor. It changed to a very bad airline - just a low cost carrier.
I made worse experiences with other carriers as well but indeed, I try to avoid Condor. Unfortunately this is not too easy since the only alternatives for holiday destinations such as MLE are OS (few flights so very few award tickets) and Edelweiss Air through LX.

If M&M had charged the correct taxes (115 EUR pp instead of 350 EUR) I thought it could be worth it. Otherwise not, of course.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 4:50 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH LT-FTL (HON till 02/25), AB-G†
I made worse experiences with other carriers as well but indeed, I try to avoid Condor. Unfortunately this is not too easy since the only alternatives for holiday destinations such as MLE are OS (few flights so very few award tickets) and Edelweiss Air through LX.

If M&M had charged the correct taxes (115 EUR pp instead of 350 EUR) I thought it could be worth it. Otherwise not, of course.
That is the problem with holiday destination. I would prefer OS miles over DE. I do not know Edelweiss, but they seam not to be so bad.

Usually I accept weird routings to go to these destinations, just because I want to avoid those holiday airlines.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tyrolean
That is the problem with holiday destination. I would prefer OS miles over DE. I do not know Edelweiss, but they seam not to be so bad.
Of course. I also prefer OS over DE. On top of the better quality flight, you have the companion award ánd lounge access! With DE you have nothing. Problem is that there is no availability for the dates I can travel.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 4:38 pm

In defence of condor

Condor are not so bad as a holiday airline. I have flown them a couple of times to Gran Canaria, and they are definately better than UK holiday airlines. In my experience they have been reliable, with friendly service and offer a free meal that was good (better than LH on long distance EU routes). I would certainly rank them above Air Berlin and Tuifly.

However, given the relatively cheap prices I don't think they are a good use of miles.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 3:38 am
Suspended

I am currently having a discussion with Miles and More as well regarding this.
Miles and More insist they can charge whatever fees and taxes they want, and all this is according to their terms and conditions.

They write following

"For full-fare tickets, there are occasional route or tariff specific offers whereby the charges are reduced or even waived and Lufthansa or our partners carry the costs of the taxes and fees. Unfortunately, this type of exception for special tariffs cannot be applied to award tickets.

Mr xxxx, we do care and customer satisfaction is an important issue with us, but please understand that our Terms and Conditions of Membership must be upheld."

I still do not agree with Miles and More charging 300 eur more for an award ticket than the airline itself. And this has nothing to do with promotional fares (for the very cheap LH flights for example, LH indeed lowers the fuel surchage so that the award ticket sometimes costs more than a paid low-fare ticket). In this case the fuel surcharge of Condor has simply been reduced from 100+ EUR to 12 EUR per segment. So I think Miles and More should charge the same taxes and fees as for a regular booking.

Any ideas on how to take this further on with Miles and More? Or should I just let it go?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.