Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not Allowed to check Wine as Luggage out of FLR on LH?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1P MM
Not Allowed to check Wine as Luggage out of FLR on LH?

Hi, not sure if this belongs in the Airport or LH forum, so here goes:
I typically fly into Florence once a year, buy a case of wine, pack it ever so carefully in a styrofoam wine shipper box (the kind used to ship via FedEx/UPS/ETC). Sometimes they make me have the "plastic wrap guy" in the checkin hall wrap it, sometimes they don't. The box is always securely taped up and I even insulate the individual bottles with newspaper so they don't "travel" within the box. I've never had a problem (beyond having to plastic wrap).

This year some friends attempted this and the LH checkin counter agent told them that they could not check the box. Instead they were forced to put the bottles into their checked suitcases. Most fit, but they had to leave a few behind. Needless to say, they were not pleased. They happened to be flying C as part of a business class ticket bought from United and were headed back to the states via FRA.

What gives? Is this a FLR airport rule, a LH rule, a checkin agent's whim? I'd like to figure it out before I show up in September and am forced to leave behind a case of grape juice.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:06 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
UA in SFO (Napa Valley) always makes me use the styrofoam 6 bottle wine box. The airport sells them on site. Apparently the baggage handlers have had lots break over the years. I have even duct taped 2 boxes together and checked it as one container (12 bottles).

I would endorse using the containers over the clothing wrap in the bags. I have had a few break over the years.

I have no experience with Florence or LH.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I'd say if you agree to the limited release at checkin (thus not making the airline responsible for breakage) they should accept it in whatever form?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:24 pm

Programs: HON Circle; Marriott Rewards Gold; SPG Gold; HH Diamond; AZ CFP
I am a wine professional and last June I flew to GRU out of FLR via FRA ìn C and I checked a styrofoam box into a cardboard box with 12 bottles of wine as one of my two checked luggages and it went through with no problems. I just had to bring it by myself in the oversized luggage area after check in (even though it was within the weight and size limits).
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:33 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I'd say if you agree to the limited release at checkin (thus not making the airline responsible for breakage) they should accept it in whatever form?
Airliners hate liquids in the hull (aluminum is very sensitive) especially if they leaked all over other customers precious stuff first.@:-)
Old Aug 6, 2011, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1P MM
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Airliners hate liquids in the hull (aluminum is very sensitive) especially if they leaked all over other customers precious stuff first.@:-)
I'd have to guess that this is the reason cited, though I'd be amazed if the break rate in styrofoam is higher than being clothes-wrapped in suitcases.

Last year I checked two boxes, the first rather small and full of books, the second a case of wine. The agent asked if the second box was also books. Fearing a trip to the Saran wrap guy, I said yes and it went right through.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 4:38 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Airliners hate liquids in the hull (aluminum is very sensitive)..
..to mercury, oxidizers, and select acids yes. And to the known galavanic corrosion against some precious metals.

Other than that Al is wonderful material with a stable oxide and little absorption of liquids like water.

Now if the hold was made of wrought iron.. I could remotely buy into the excuse.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 5:58 am

Flying from EZE to FRA we hat no problem checking in a box with 12 bottles. It was a normal box that is also used to ship wine if you order it somewhere.

Are you sure it wasn't the amount of baggage pieces they had?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 6:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by weero
..to mercury, oxidizers, and select acids yes. And to the known galavanic corrosion against some precious metals.

Other than that Al is wonderful material with a stable oxide and little absorption of liquids like water.

Now if the hold was made of wrought iron.. I could remotely buy into the excuse.
Well, my company makes a ton of money selling silicone sealant (technical grade not the bathroom stuff) to airlines and airframe manufacturers extremely concerned about that the wet cells on the aircraft (lavs, galley etc) stay dry on the outside... its not the pure water+aluminium combination they are worried about but the trail of disturbance that follows. Long story. The point is the hate the bottles in the suitcase too, but at least leaks/crack are contained... the styrofoam cases let the fluids run out
Old Aug 6, 2011, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by DaniD
Flying from EZE to FRA we hat no problem checking in a box with 12 bottles. It was a normal box that is also used to ship wine if you order it somewhere..
EZE gave us fat trouble shipping wine! It taught me to always camouflage the container so that they don't ask annoying questions .
Old Aug 6, 2011, 7:12 am

Well, my company makes a ton of money selling silicone sealant (technical grade not the bathroom stuff) to airlines and airframe manufacturers extremely concerned about that the wet cells on the aircraft (lavs, galley etc) stay dry on the outside..
For a plethora of reasons. The corrosion of the airframe being just the worst possible scenario.

I know of at least two very substantial airframe damages one due to mercury and one due to acid spill both of which were not sufficiently contained by the - well - container.
To the best of my knowledge mercury is particularly vicious as it doesn't report in any way and just leads to structural failure. Is is dangerous in vapour and liquid form .. so yes, cargo can be dangerous.

But given that wine can be stored in steel and alumiunium, I guess the concerns are with the luggage liability.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 7:28 am

Is there an official rule about transporting wine and other liquids? That would be helpful to know in case an agent gives trouble.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
I saw someone in the LH F check-in line at CDG being sent away with a case of wine--definitely not happy.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by TPA us ff
I saw someone in the LH F check-in line at CDG being sent away with a case of wine--definitely not happy.
I can imagine how unhappy that person was...

But still: Is there a regulation about it or just on the discretion of the CI- agent?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 1:35 am

@weero the items/substance you mention are not allowed in checked luggage anyway as the are hazardous goods?

Anyway, the text to TAs is pretty vague on the topic of alcoholic beverages, except that there seems to be a limit of '5 litres'. Plus there is a catch phrase that they might refuse carriage of anything they deem unsuitable. I suppose its supposed to cover nice things like durian.

Code:
                        GGAIRLHPT7INFO        EN   8JUL11 1415Z                 
 ITEMS NOT TO BE INCLUDED IN CHECKED BAGGAGE:                                   
 --------------------------------------------                                   
 -       MONEY, JEWELLERY, PRECIOUS METALS, COMPUTERS (LAPTOPS, PCS),           
         PERSONAL ELECTRONIC DEVICES, NEGOTIABLE PAPERS, SECURITIES OR          
         OTHER VALUABLES, BUSINESS DOCUMENTS, PASSPORTS AND OTHER               
         IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS OR SAMPLES.                                   
 - IF DESPITE BEING PROHIBITED, ANY ITEMS REFERRED TO THE ABOVE ARE             
         INCLUDED IN A PASSENGER?S BAGGAGE, LH SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR     
         ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF SUCH ITEMS.                                      
 - FOR THE PURPOSE OF INTERNATIONAL CARRIAGE GOVERNED BY THE CONVENTION,        
         THE LIABILITY RULES SET OUT IN THE CONVENTION ARE FULLY INCORPORATE    
         HEREIN AND SHALL SUPERSEDE AND PREVAIL OVER ANY PROVISIONS OF THIS     
         TARIFF WHICH MAY BE INCONSISTENT WITH THOSE RULES.                     
 ELECTRONIC DEVICES:                                                            
 -------------------                                                            
 - TO AVOID INTERFERENCE WITH AIRCRAFT ELECTRONIC NAVIGATION AND                
         COMMUNICATION, EQUIPMENT OPERATION ABROAD THE AIRCRAFT, THE USE OF     
         PORTABLE RADIO RECEIVERS, TRANSMITTERS AND TELEVISION RECEIVERS IN     
         POSSESSION OF THE PASSENGER IS PROHIBITED. ALSO PROHIBITED IS THE      
         USE                                                                    
 - OF MOBILE PHONES, WALKIE-TALKIES, LAP TOPS WITH A PRINTER OR                 
>m
 CORDLESS MOUSE, AND REMOTE-CONTROLLED TOYS. THE USE OF PORTABLE                
       TAPE / WIRE RECORDERS, HEARING AIDS, DICTAPHONES AND HEART PACEMAKERS    
       IS PERMITTED.                                                            

RIGHT TO REFUSE CARRIAGE                                                       
 ------------------------                                                       
 LH MAY REFUSE TO CARRY AS BAGGAGE                                              
 - ANY ITEM REASONABLY CONSIDERED TO BE PROHIBITED OR UNSUITABLE FOR CARRIAG    
   BECAUSE OF ITS SIZE, SHAPE, WEIGHT, CONTENT, CHARACTER, FOR SAFETY OR        
   OPERATIONAL REASONS OR THE COMFORT OF OTHER PASSENGERS OR WHICH ARE FRAGI    
   OR PERISHABLE HAVING REGARD TO, AMONG OTHER THINGS, THE TYPE OF AIRCRAFT     
   BEING USED. INFORMATION ABOUT UNACCEPTABLE ITEMS                             
   IS AVAILABLE FROM US OR OUR AUTHORISED AGENTS UPON REQUEST.                  
 - ITEMS OF WHICH THE CARRIAGE IS PROHIBITED BY THE APPLICABLE LAWS,            
   REGULATIONS OR ORDERS OF ANY STATE TO BE FLOWN FROM OR TO.                   
 - LH MAY REFUSE THE ACCEPTANCE OF BAGGAGE FOR CARRIAGE UNLESS IT IS            
   IN REASONABLE CONDITIONS PROPERLY AND SECURELY PACKED IN SUITABLE            
   CONTAINERS.                                                                  

DANGEROUS GOODS                                                                
 ---------------                                                                
>m
 DANGEROUS GOODS ARE ARTICLES AND SUBSTANCES WHICH MAY BE A RISK TO HEALTH,     
 SAFETY AND/OR PROPERTY WHEN TRANSPORTED BY AIR.                                

DANGEROUS GOODS MAY BE DIVIDED IN TWO CATEGORIES:                              
 - DANGEROUS GOODS THAT MAY NOT BE CARRIED AS CABIN OR CHECKED BAGGAGE          
 - DANGEROUS GOODS THAT MAY BE CARRIED UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS                 

ITEMS THAT MAY NOT BE CARRIED AS CABIN OR CHECKED BAGGAGE                      
 ---------------------------------------------------------                      
 NOT TO BE INCLUDED IN THE BAGGAGE:                                             
 ITEMS WHICH ARE LIKELY TO ENDANGER THE AIRCRAFT OR PERSONS OR PROPERTY         
 ON BOARD THE AIRCRAFT, SUCH AS THOSE SPECIFIED IN THE ICAO OR IATA             
 DANGEROUS GOODS REGULATIONS WHICH ARE AVAILABLE FROM US ON REQUEST.            

ESPECIALLY THE FOLLOWING ITEMS CANNOT BE ACCEPTED:                             
 - BRIEFCASES AND SECURITY TYPE ATTACH? CASES WITH INSTALLED ALARM              
   DEVISES; OR INCORPORATIVE LITHIUM BATTERIES AND OR PYROTECHNIC               
    MATERIAL                                                                    
 - EXPLOSIVE MUNITIONS, FIREWORKS AND FLARES                                    
 - GASES, SUCH AS CAMPING GAS AND AEROSOLS                                      
 - FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS, SUCH AS LIGHTER FUELS, PAINTS AND THINNERS                
>m
 - FLAMMABLE SOLIDS, SUCH AS MATCHES AND ARTICLES WHICH ARE EASILY              
   IGNITED, SUBSTANCES LIABLE TO SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION, SUBSTANCES             
   WHICH ON CONTACT WITH WATER EMIT FLAMMABLE GASES                             
 - OXIDIZING SUBSTANCES                                                         
 - POISONOUS (TOXIC) AND INFECTIOUS SUBSTANCES                                  
 - RADIOACTIVE MATERIALS                                                        
 - CORROSIVES (THERMOMETERS; ACIDS; ALKALIS AND WET CELL BATTERIES)             
 - MAGNETIZED MATERIALS AND MISCELLANEOUS DANGEROUS GOODS AS LISTED             
   IN THE "IATA DANGEROUS GOODS REGULATIONS"                                    
 - WET CELL OR SPILLABLE BATTERIES, ALSO NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR INTERLINING         
   AS CHECKED BAGGAGE. DRY CELL OR NON SPILLABLE BATTERIES CAN BE               
   INTERLINED ON ALL STAR PARTNERS EXCEPT AC, NZ.                               

ITEMS THAT MAY BE CARRIED UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS                             
 --------------------------------------------------                             
 - MEDICINAL OR TOILET ARTICLES (NOT MORE THAN 2 KG / 5LB))                     
 - ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE, PERFUMES (NOT MORE THAN 5 LITRES)                        
 - RADIOISOTOPIC CARDIAC PACEMAKERS OR OTHER DEVICES, INCLUDING THOSE