Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PAX_fips
FlyNet is installed on all longhaul aircraft in the LH fleet.

Please list the aircraft type and aircraft number you've used FlyNet on. Bonus points for route

A333
D-AIKB FRA-AUH
D-AIKH FRA-SEA
D-AIKK FRA-SEA
D-AIKL FRA-DFW
D-AIKM SEA-FRA
D-AIKQ EWR-MUC
D-AIKR MUC-BOM

A346
D-AIFF MUC-BOM
D-AIHF YYZ-FRA
D-AIHH MUC-SFO
D-AIHI BOS-FRA
D-AIHK CPT-MUC
D-AIHQ MUC-HND
D-AIHU HND-MUC
D-AIHX YVR-FRA
D-AIHZ MUC-BOS

A380
D-AIMB FRA-SFO
D-AIMC FRA-PVG
D-AIMI SFO-FRA
D-AIMJ SFO-FRA
D-AIMK
D-AIML FRA-IAH
D-AIMG JFK-FRA

B748
D-ABYD ICN-FRA
D-ABYF LAX-FRA
D-ABYG FRA-MEX
D-ABYH FRA-LAX
D-ABYJ HND-FRA
D-ABYK FRA-IAD
D-ABYL LAX-FRA
D-ABYN ORD-FRA, FRA-HND
D-ABYT FRA-BLR

B747
D-ABTH FRA-DEN
D-ABVO EZE-FRA, FRA-YVR
D-ABVP FRA-YVR
D-ABVR FRA-EWR
D-ABVT HND-FRA
D-ABVU FRA-HND
D-ABVZ FRA-SFO
D-ABVY FRA-YYZ
D-ABVW FRA-DXB
D-ABTL FRA-YYZ
D-xxxx FRA-BOM (Can't remember the a/c - too long ago! )
Print Wikipost

How to know which LH aircraft has FlyNet? [merged all about LH Flynet]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:41 pm

Shouldn't this be in the LH/Miles & More Forum?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wco81
Curious what the speeds and latency are like. Anyone try it?
Basic browsing is fine. Not much more than that, though.

Might have been worth trying out for 20 Euro for 24-hour period, or the entirety of a TATL segment, unless the speed was so bad that you couldn't stream video.
Definitely no good for video streaming.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:52 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Moved to the right forum.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United MileagePlus Forum
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
OK, glad it wasn't working as I would have been tempted.

Hell they said you could sync your mobile devices. That could be a pretty heavy download.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Flew LH492 last week, FRA to VCR.

Supposedly Wifi was available on the plane and would be available throughout most of the flight (at cruising altitude).

But it wasn't available.
I have not personally had issues, but there have been some reports of system problems since the last major software push by the provider (Panasonic) back in November. I did not have any issues a couple of weeks ago TATL.

Curious what the speeds and latency are like. Anyone try it?
It is a satellite link, so the bandwidth is limited and the latency is significant and variable (we can't get around that speed of light thing quite yet... ), and my experience at the application layer is that speeds in the 75k - 200k (500kbps - 1.5Mbps at the Link Layer) range are typical, but speed varies quite a bit from moderately acceptable to almost telegraph-like.

IME, for simple surfing tasks and e-mail FlyNet is fine. For more bandwidth-intensive things, YMMV, but don't hold any high hopes. It is a very basic connectivity for junkies who can't live for 10 hours without IP communications. There are conflicting reports on how well encryption tunnels (e.g. VPN) work, but given bandwidth and latency issues, I would also not be surprised if encrypted links sometimes have problems.

Might have been worth trying out for 20 Euro for 24-hour period, or the entirety of a TATL segment, unless the speed was so bad that you couldn't stream video.
Some?/many?/all? streaming applications (in particular VoIP) are not permitted per T&Cs, probably for exactly the reason that the bandwidth is very limited and is (hopefully, if you are LH and Panasonic) shared by many on-board. I haven't tried to use a streaming application, so I don't know the restrictions are controlled, but I would not expect a nice streaming experience in any case.

Last edited by N1003U; Apr 22, 2014 at 2:36 am
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JAaronT
That was my first thought too. Seems legit. Am I going to have a time requesting a refund?
I emailed [email protected] last night describing my issue and requesting a refund, and just got a response agreeing to refund. Not bad!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by N1003U
I have not personally had issues, but there have been some reports of system problems since the last major software push by the provider (Panasonic) back in November. I did not have any issues a couple of weeks ago TATL.

It is a satellite link, so the bandwidth is limited and the latency is significant and variable (we can't get around that speed of light thing quite yet... ), and my experience at the application layer is that speeds in the 75k - 200k (500kbps - 1.5Mbps at the Link Layer) range are typical, but speed varies quite a bit from moderately acceptable to almost telegraph-like.

IME, for simple surfing tasks and e-mail FlyNet is fine. For more bandwidth-intensive things, YMMV, but don't hold any high hopes. It is a very basic connectivity for junkies who can't live for 10 hours without IP communications. There are conflicting reports on how well encryption tunnels (e.g. VPN) work, but given bandwidth and latency issues, I would also not be surprised if encrypted links sometimes have problems.

Some?/many?/all? streaming applications (in particular VoIP) are not permitted per T&Cs, probably for exactly the reason that the bandwidth is very limited and is (hopefully, if you are LH and Panasonic) shared by many on-board. I haven't tried to use a streaming application, so I don't know the restrictions are controlled, but I would not expect a nice streaming experience in any case.
For the prices they're charging, I think a lot of people would be disappointed if they couldn't view video. Yes, physics and all that, though you wonder if other implementations, including those in the future, would provide better performance for the kind of applications people are used to.

I would have tried HBO Go (through VPN) or streaming from my Tivo. I stayed in some hotels on my Corsica trip where the DL speed was under 1 Mbps but the streaming worked.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
For the prices they're charging, I think a lot of people would be disappointed if they couldn't view video. Yes, physics and all that, though you wonder if other implementations, including those in the future, would provide better performance for the kind of applications people are used to.

I would have tried HBO Go (through VPN) or streaming from my Tivo. I stayed in some hotels on my Corsica trip where the DL speed was under 1 Mbps but the streaming worked.
The best thing for these variable latency variable bandwidth cases is if you throw out the standard streaming software, and instead you use some mountable filesystem (sftp for example) with some clever player with cache set to 100Mb+. This way if you wait a bit in the beginning and the average bandwidth is enough, your movie will play smoothly even with some bumps and disconnects.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:05 pm
Suspended

A survey of current Wifi on planes:

http://www.todayswirelessworld.com/2...irplane-wi-fi/

3.1Mbps total for each plane on Gogo?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
FlyNet worked very well last week on both TATL legs, as good if not better than gogo on AA/DL. Now that the free Wifi promotion is over, it is actually usable.
Old May 1, 2014, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
FlyNet worked very well last week on both TATL legs, as good if not better than gogo on AA/DL. Now that the free Wifi promotion is over, it is actually usable.
How much did you pay? Did you do anything apart from checking your email? If I could get reliable VPN access on long flights my work productivity on a good seat would (possibly) be huge.
Old May 1, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mmff
How much did you pay? Did you do anything apart from checking your email? If I could get reliable VPN access on long flights my work productivity on a good seat would (possibly) be huge.
20€ for 24 hours. I surfed the web (FT, news sites), was able to work on editing a website and upload a few pics (that was a little slow though). I've experienced lounges/hotels with slower speeds. Even used skype a couple of times to check my voice mails. Quality of the calls was excellent.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:45 am
Suspended

Well AT&T announced plans to offer LTE connectivity. Presumably only while over the 48 states.

There's suppose to be next generation satellite-based technologies planned as well, to bring greater speeds.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Posting this from somewhere above Quebec:

The newest A380 (D-AIML, "Hamburg") which was delivered three weeks ago has FlyNet and it has been working "acceptable to good" on our FRA-IAH route so far.

-> Wiki updated
Old May 29, 2014, 8:23 pm

Flynet worked for both my 747-8 and 747-400 flights yesterday. I've updated the wiki as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.