Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW, segments left, 1yr passed, options?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
RTW, segments left, 1yr passed, options?

I have the following segments left on a RTW tix that has recently passed the 1 yr mark PEK-BKK-IST-TLV-LHR

are there options to use them (pay change fee of some type?) or 1 yr and its gone?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by seaskybound
I have the following segments left on a RTW tix that has recently passed the 1 yr mark PEK-BKK-IST-TLV-LHR

are there options to use them (pay change fee of some type?) or 1 yr and its gone?
one year counting from issue date or first leg?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sentom
one year counting from issue date or first leg?
both, almost all my flights are booked with 48hrs of flight.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by seaskybound
both, almost all my flights are booked with 48hrs of flight.
i think you misunderstood...

when was the ticket issued, and when did you fly the first segment of this RTW?

ps: or maybe i misunderstood, so you booked the ticket and started it within 48hrs of issuing it, correct?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I wouldn't touch those segments again. They airline might think that they could reprice the segements you flew as one-ways instead of a complete RTW...
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I wouldn't touch those segments again. They airline might think that they could reprice the segements you flew as one-ways instead of a complete RTW...
Agreed. And to make Rambuster's message a little clearer: I'm pretty sure you're screwed as far as those segments are concerned.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow! You are right- and that could be a mega bill.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:22 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
That's my thought too.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:45 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Wow! You are right- and that could be a mega bill.
Technically this would be the rule. But so far we have no reports on FT that this has ever happened.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:52 pm

Programs: LH, UA, SQ
My RTW was issued by SQ. They do know the expiration date for my RTW. So when I wanted to rebook three of the end of the trip segments, the agent made sure that I did not pass the expiration date.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Diamond Seats
My RTW was issued by SQ. They do know the expiration date for my RTW. So when I wanted to rebook three of the end of the trip segments, the agent made sure that I did not pass the expiration date.
Your tix is valid 12 months = 365 days from when you took your first segment on the RTW.

Cheers

Thomas
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:04 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Technically this would be the rule. But so far we have no reports on FT that this has ever happened.
Are there any reports that someone really tried to rebook such segments? All I know is that people skipped the last segment(s) and never heard from the issuing carrier (and did not contact the airline themselves, of course) although technically the RTW was not a RTW anymore.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:04 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by zara
Are there any reports that someone really tried to rebook such segments? All I know is that people skipped the last segment(s) and never heard from the issuing carrier (and did not contact the airline themselves, of course) although technically the RTW was not a RTW anymore.
I can't think of any examples but I haven't done a search either. Not much harm is done usually if someone is not flying the last segment so I guess the airlines don't worry about it too much.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
BA kicked up a fuss last year with several frequent flyers about dropping the last segment.
IIRC BA had no leg to stand on with regards to re-pricing the fare (ex-EU! tickets). However they cancelled the miles and tier points of these tickets ... quite cheaky of them, but that's a totally different legal battle and much easier for BA to win with their FFP T&Cs !
Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA kicked up a fuss last year with several frequent flyers about dropping the last segment.
IIRC BA had no leg to stand on with regards to re-pricing the fare (ex-EU! tickets). However they cancelled the miles and tier points of these tickets ... quite cheaky of them, but that's a totally different legal battle and much easier for BA to win with their FFP T&Cs !
A few years ago in Canada there was something similar, but what happened was that the airline sent stacks of debit notes to the travel agents- they didn't go after individual customers but rather the agent who booked it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.