Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Sofitel: Saigon Plaza, Ho Chi Minh City - TOP NOTCH ALL THE WAY!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sofitel: Saigon Plaza, Ho Chi Minh City - TOP NOTCH ALL THE WAY!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:00 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Thumbs up Sofitel: Saigon Plaza, Ho Chi Minh City - TOP NOTCH ALL THE WAY!!!

Just came back from my first trip to Vietnam / Cambodia as well as from my first ever stay at Sofitel and would like to share my experience(s). I was more or less advised by my dear friend Goldorak to try out the Sofitel’s in both Vietnam and Cambodia and when Goldorak says jump you ask how high

We were meet at a very chaotic Ho Chi Minh City Airport in a 35dgrC heat by Sofitel staff wearing distinct uniforms. Within minutes a silver Mercedes pulled up and our luggage was placed in the boot of the car. For the ones of you who have been to Vietnam will know that the first couple of days one can't help being overwhelmed by the traffic, and I lost track of time getting from the airport to the Sofitel in Saigon. The drive was very smooth none the less ^ This was pre booked at USD 40 for two one way, so a bit pricy when a taxi would have cost around VD 100,000 (around USD 5) but worth it after many hours of flying from CDG.

Arriving at the hotel was a breeze. Checked in and was told that we had been upgraded as we had A-Club gold. My initial booking was a "standard" no frills room (stay 4 pay for 3) but got a club floor room with all the trimmings that comes along with it. The bag came up within a few min of arrival and we headed of to the lounge.

We were meet by the most fantastic lounge girls who very discreetly checked our credentials and welcomed us to the lounge. Was shown around and the different offerings available. Here was EVERYTHING not to forget fantastic views over Saigon (the lounge is on the 18th floor as is the Swimming pool).

Meet up with my brother and his wife a little later at the pool who had arrived later from Hanoi and were told that because his brother (that would be me) was a Gold Card holder he and the wife were given an upgrade for USD 40 per night (which is USD 4 less per day had they only gotten the breakfast added on) for a club floor room with access to the lounge as well and full breakfast included, an offer they didn't decline ^^^ Neither have A-Club cards so a very nice gesture just because I held a A-Club Gold Card They knew we were related as I had left pre messages to him prior to his arrival at the lounge...

The lounge was more or less empty most of the time we were there (before we went out for dinner, midday etc) and had some good long chats with the girls who were "taking" good care of us. We were offered Champagne (Taittinger) and hardly had to go and get anything from the complimentary buffet ourselves. FANTASTIC... The buffet changed depending on what time of the day it was and you could easily have skipped dinner in town and only eaten at the lounge. But when in Saigon you go out to eat!!!

The hotel is in walking distance to The Notre Dame, Opera House (Continental Hotel which we stayed in coming back to Saigon) and basically all of the old town. It's safe, clean and easy to walk around in ^

We had a corner room with views over the old Botanical gardens and zoo as well as the city. There were macaroons (same as in the lounge), bottled water, L'Occitane en Provence (which now is the only thing my body will accept) en masse, fresh mango shots, Italian still water etc every evening when the turn down service had been there.

This was a great experience and the staff were just out of this world. What I specifically liked about them were their ability to remain natural and far from stiff. We had some good laughs on a personal level and talked as we had known each other for ages ^

Check out was done in the lounge and went very smoothly and fast. The girls knew us pretty good by now so no need for room numbers and second names here ^ Our bags were picked up in the lounge as well and we only saw them at the airport again on catching our flight to Siem Reap (even better things to come, though not thought it would be possible after this though)...

I have stayed at many 5 star hotels around the world, and the Sofitel Saigon Plaza came in on my top 5 list. Maybe the Gold Card had something to do with it which proves it's not all for nothing and I really loved it. Highly recommended ^^^

Will give you all the low down a little later on Sofitel Angkor Wat
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:34 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Thanks Cupart, great review. Sounds like a great stay made even better by recognising A-Club elite status. ^
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
Thanks for the review. I will be in Saigon in June and cannot decide if I want to stay at the Sofitel or the InterContinental. I'm glad to hear that the Sofitel treats A-club Golds well.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Hello my friend
nice to see you back on Flyertalk ! I was thinking about you these last days saying that your return was probably imminent. I'm glad you enjoyed your time there and I can't wait to read the rest for Siem Reap ^
Thanks for this great report on your stay at Sofitel Saigon. I did not have an upgrade when I stayed there (but it was at the time of the former Sofitel privilege guest card) so I did not try the club lounge. I definitely need to go back !
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:18 pm

Wow, sounds like a great stay. Taittinger in a club lounge? I very impressed ^
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:05 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Thanks Cupart, great review. Sounds like a great stay made even better by recognising A-Club elite status. ^
After reading and experiencing so much about the non recognition of the A-club status at most member hotels, this is a refreshing story... hope they start doing this officially sooner than later.. ^
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
good report!
I have booked 5 nights next april, a room with club access.
Hope I will be upgraded to suite as in BKK last september.(Aclub Plat)
As I arrive from SIN at 10 PM I appreciate if you tell me how you have booked the shuttle to the hotel.
Thank you.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:24 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by delanotre
good report!
I have booked 5 nights next april, a room with club access.
Hope I will be upgraded to suite as in BKK last september.(Aclub Plat)
As I arrive from SIN at 10 PM I appreciate if you tell me how you have booked the shuttle to the hotel.
Thank you.
Hi delanotre,

I don't remember tbh, but we were picked up in a black MB 200. When you get out from the terminal there is a little booth with SOFITEL written on a sign. It is very chaotic outside but a very friendly atmosphere...

Enjoy the Swimming pool on the top floor and not to forget the Club space. The girls working there are fantastic so be nice to them!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold,
I stayed at the Saigon Sofitel last Summer and would agree with all of the positive comments and the easy status upgrade experience.

What I was also amazed was the hotel offered a free bus shuttle into other parts of town. We used this twice thinking we would have to wait. I phoned the lounge and was told to go to the lobby - I was surprised to see the hotel Mercedes ready to take us into town. On another occasion the doorman paid a taxi for the same trip, I assume the Mercedes wasn't available.

This is the only second hotel I have stayed at where you receive champagne in the lounge.

I will stay again when I am in Saigon.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 9:27 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by flyoff
What I was also amazed was the hotel offered a free bus shuttle into other parts of town. We used this twice thinking we would have to wait. I phoned the lounge and was told to go to the lobby - I was surprised to see the hotel Mercedes ready to take us into town. On another occasion the doorman paid a taxi for the same trip, I assume the Mercedes wasn't available.

This is the only second hotel I have stayed at where you receive champagne in the lounge.
We even took the shuttle to some market and were given tips by the driver of what to look for and how to get around easily. Never took a taxi once while in HCMC but walked everywhere with ease (I'm by far your average top notch hotel guest )...

Yes that's right, and they even (or at least they used to) serve Taittinger which is very nice in deed ^ Their Macaroons are divine :-)
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
I'm planning to visit Vietnam this June and just booked complimentary night in Sofitel Saigon after reading all this posts. I'm wondering to upgrade to luxury room, club lounge but the website doesn't provide further information about the lounge. Perhaps someone here could tell me the operating hours for club lounge. Is it only lasting for some evening or all-day? or perhaps they provided it as a full-board. Thank you.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, HON, EK Gold
Regretting booking the IC now...
Old Jun 30, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: SQ KF
Have an upcoming stay for 4 nights for leisure. Any recent experiences with Gold status recognition? Booked the Superior room but noticed there is one category between that and the Club room.

Also how often are the shuttles?

Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by tshep
Have an upcoming stay for 4 nights for leisure. Any recent experiences with Gold status recognition? Booked the Superior room but noticed there is one category between that and the Club room.

Thanks!
I was there last August, as reported above - so not that recent but I would guess it hasn't changed that much. I deliberately booked the room type below the Club room to try to get the upgrade. I was informed of the upgrade after the initial welcome greeting. I am therefore unsure if they will treat it as a double upgrade. The cost of a Luxury room was not much more than a Superior so I did not want to take the risk. It may be worth paying for a Luxury room upgrade if they will then upgrade you to a Club room at the hotel.

I never noticed a shuttle. When I enquired about it phoning from the room they were vague about a timetable. I agreed to go the the lobby in 20 minutes and the hotel limo was waiting on one occasion and they paid for a taxi on another. The shuttle only operates from the hotel, you have to make your own way back.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by tshep

Thanks!
I was there last week, booked the Club floor but when I requested to be upgraded to their Prestige Suite (1 level upper), they said the upgrade cannot be done to the different level. But it's ok, since I was upgraded to their biggest club floor on 20th floor (Club floor is only at 17th-19th though). No welcome gift given but I don't know what happen to others Gold or Plat. Shuttle bus available every 30 minutes, I didn't remember what time they start but I do remember that it only lasts on 7:30 pm.

Have a nice trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.