Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

GYE domestic to international connection on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

I currently have a GYE-LIM-JFK award, departing GYE on LA1425 at 8:25am. Thing is, I'll be originating in UIO (there was no availability on the UIO-LIM direct flight). My options for a separate, paid ticket from UIO to GYE are a flight the previous day, or XL1353 which arrives GYE at 7:05am.

Can GYE regulars advise if the latter is doable and/or advisable? I won't have checked bags, but I don't know if the UIO check-in agents can issue my GYE-LIM-JFK boarding passes. My gut instinct tells me to book the previous day's flight, but that would come at the expense of an extra evening in UIO.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: LANPASS
well, from a totally "ideal" perspective, the connection is doable, as long as the UIO-GYE segment is not delayed. Since I assume your domestic flight is on a separate reservation (correct me if I'm wrong), a delay on the UIO-GYE could produce all sorts of problems on your other reservation.

DOM-INT connections at GYE are fairly easy as far as I recall. It's been some time since my last trip to GYE, but I usually could make it from the terminal doors to the gate in around 20-30 minutes.
Not sure if the agents at UIO will issue your GYE-LIM-JFK boarding passes if they are on a separate reservation, but if they don't you should have no problems issuing them yourself at the self service kiosks located landside in either UIO and GYE (you could also try getting them on your phone beforehand)

To summarize, it's doable but a little bit dangerous in the event your flight out from UIO gets delayed... unless everything was on the same reservation, in which case LATAM should take care of you if the connection goes snafu
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Bump. Any insight would be appreciated!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlarroulet
well, from a totally "ideal" perspective, the connection is doable, as long as the UIO-GYE segment is not delayed. Since I assume your domestic flight is on a separate reservation (correct me if I'm wrong), a delay on the UIO-GYE could produce all sorts of problems on your other reservation.

DOM-INT connections at GYE are fairly easy as far as I recall. It's been some time since my last trip to GYE, but I usually could make it from the terminal doors to the gate in around 20-30 minutes.
Not sure if the agents at UIO will issue your GYE-LIM-JFK boarding passes if they are on a separate reservation, but if they don't you should have no problems issuing them yourself at the self service kiosks located landside in either UIO and GYE (you could also try getting them on your phone beforehand)

To summarize, it's doable but a little bit dangerous in the event your flight out from UIO gets delayed... unless everything was on the same reservation, in which case LATAM should take care of you if the connection goes snafu
Got it--thanks for the detailed response! Yes, delays from UIO are my main concern, as I won't have checked bags. I'll continue to monitor the 6am flight for a few weeks to get a broad idea of its on-time performance, and then make a decision from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.