Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Can I book Domestic TAM with AA or UA miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:19 am
Original Poster

I'm trying to book a flight from DFW to GIG/GRU then to FLN with AA miles.

I can always book dfw to GIG/GRU with AA. But since TAM is now codeshare with AA, I assume you can redeem with AA miles.

I have read that award booking with AA is pretty much blocked off.

How can I gete from GIG/GRU to FLN on TAM with AA or UA miles? I cant search UA.com for the flight. Who would allow such a trip? AA? UA? Do I need to call UA?

I called AA and they can price it out to only GIG/GRU and rep said no availability for my dates for TAM.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: all
expert flyer shows tam availability (x)..you can also look up using the ANA engine
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:42 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
TAM still is a member of Star Alliance (until next March, I believe). Redemptions must be with such miles.

They have some codeshare flights with AA, but these do not entail award avaiability.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 12:04 am

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...rlines/TAM.jsp

TAM Airlines has service eligible for AAdvantage mileage accrual and redemption within Brazil, and between South America and the U.S., Caribbean, Mexico and Europe.
Redeem AAdvantage Miles
Use AAdvantage miles to book award travel on TAM Airlines flights with the following award option:

oneworld & Other Airline Awards - Awards that allow you to travel to and from your desired destination using any combination of our airline participants.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by NPF
TAM still is a member of Star Alliance (until next March, I believe). Redemptions must be with such miles.

They have some codeshare flights with AA, but these do not entail award avaiability.

Not correct..you can use both AA and LAN miles for TAM flights

LAN is the best deal for short flights, AA is better for longer flights since LAN is distance based
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:31 am
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
I stand corrected.

Thank you to both 3544quebec and pantanal.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 5:57 am

you are welcome...like i said try and use LAN if you can for any short flights. You can transfer spg to lan at a rate of 1 spg = 1.5 + you get the 20% kicker if you transfer 20k SPG

for example...rio to sao paulo (ow) you only use 6k KM which is 4k miles one way for the ticket as opposed to 10k using AA or 12.5k using UA
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by pantanal
expert flyer shows tam availability (x)..you can also look up using the ANA engine
I need to book a few seats in Y on *A from GIG-EZE in March 2014 but am only seeing sporadic availability with ANA.

Does TAM still only release intra-South America award space 90 days out? I was operating under that assumption but do see some seats on ANA in March, just not for the dates I need...

Cheers
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
I need to book a few seats in Y on *A from GIG-EZE in March 2014 but am only seeing sporadic availability with ANA.

Does TAM still only release intra-South America award space 90 days out? I was operating under that assumption but do see some seats on ANA in March, just not for the dates I need...

Cheers
I think it is 90 days out...

Try and take the flight from sao paulo to bue...wide open availability on turkish even in business. you can get a cheap flight between rio and sao paulo in advance
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:02 am

I think it is 90 days out...

Try and take the flight from sao paulo to bue...wide open availability on turkish even in business. you can get a cheap flight between rio and sao paulo in advance
Thanks, I found that on Aeroplan, but not UA or ANA. It even included a segment on TAM from GIG-GRU to connect to the Turkish flight. And even more than 90 days out, hence the confusion...

Update: NM, when I called Aeroplan to book the agent confirmed he could see the space but if he booked it TAM would cancel it because of the 90 day rule.

Cheers

Last edited by CrownRoyalForever; Nov 15, 2013 at 10:29 am
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
Thanks, I found that on Aeroplan, but not UA or ANA. It even included a segment on TAM from GIG-GRU to connect to the Turkish flight. And even more than 90 days out, hence the confusion...

Update: NM, when I called Aeroplan to book the agent confirmed he could see the space but if he booked it TAM would cancel it because of the 90 day rule.

Cheers

try lan..they have access to tam seats...well they actually own tam
Old Nov 17, 2013, 4:53 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
You can book award tickets 360 days in advance in TAM's own programme (this is a recent change). Probably not yet implemented for partners.
BTW, I've seen a lot of flights available to Fidelidade members and not a single seat showed in ANA or other search engines.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by neuromancer
You can book award tickets 360 days in advance in TAM's own programme (this is a recent change). Probably not yet implemented for partners.
BTW, I've seen a lot of flights available to Fidelidade members and not a single seat showed in ANA or other search engines.

should be able to do it using LAN miles probably too...I have gotten TAM tickets using LAN miles on flights that were not showing availability for ANA

Unfortunately LAN does not show online availability..you need to call in
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Expert Flyer does not appear to have access to TAM Award space anymore. Any other way to check availability with AA miles? Would it just be the low-level redemption on the TAM site?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by JohnDCA
Expert Flyer does not appear to have access to TAM Award space anymore. Any other way to check availability with AA miles? Would it just be the low-level redemption on the TAM site?

check it using the ana tool

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.