Search

SCL MAD and MAD FRA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LAN COMODORO
SCL MAD and MAD FRA

Hi guys

I am more used to answer but i now i have a question. On Saturday i saw a last call kms reedem promo just 52000 kms for SCL MAD so i toke it ... i was thinking on going to a fair on Frankfurt but since i just got from Italy like 3 weeks ago i wassent that sure, but well after see this promo i went for it.

So now i have to look for the MAD to FRA leg, i could fly Aireuropa but is only 32 dolars less than Latam, departures about the same time and i wont be able to have upgrades or check bags for free. So i think Latam is the way to go

So the stopover in Spain is like 2 hours each way, i think is plenty of time even if i have to check my bags again. But do you think it will be posible to get all check from Scl to Fra so i dont have to get off the plane?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Not sure about checking the bags through, but you will definitely have to get off of the plane while it is cleaned and prepared for the MAD-FRA leg.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: LANPASS
I'm almost certain you can check your bags through, regardless of having to deplane at MAD
LA704/705 has a crew change in MAD in both directions, plus the aircraft is cleaned for the next leg, so everyone deboards at MAD regardless of final destination.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
However I believe you do not reclear security at MAD, and you clear immigration at FRA, along with people starting in MAD.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
Originally Posted by BA6501
However I believe you do not reclear security at MAD, and you clear immigration at FRA, along with people starting in MAD.
I'd double check. When I flew PHL-MAD-ORY (not LATAM, obviously), I cleared immigration in MAD (when I entered the EU/ Schengen zone) and security en route to my plane for Paris.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by mapboyPHL
I'd double check. When I flew PHL-MAD-ORY (not LATAM, obviously), I cleared immigration in MAD (when I entered the EU/ Schengen zone) and security en route to my plane for Paris.
This is a little bit different. In this case, the plane and flight numbers are the same (SCL-MAD LA704, MAD-FRA LA704). Passengers deboard only because of a crew change and aircraft cleaning. They remain airside and board once again with all the rest of the passengers for the second leg
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
Originally Posted by jlarroulet
This is a little bit different. In this case, the plane and flight numbers are the same (SCL-MAD LA704, MAD-FRA LA704). Passengers deboard only because of a crew change and aircraft cleaning. They remain airside and board once again with all the rest of the passengers for the second leg
AH, that makes total sense.

Quick question (for my own curiosity) do passengers that fly only the MAD-FRA section have to clear immigration upon arrival in Germany? Generally, that flight (on IB or LH, for example) would not require it, correct?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by mapboyPHL
AH, that makes total sense.

Quick question (for my own curiosity) do passengers that fly only the MAD-FRA section have to clear immigration upon arrival in Germany? Generally, that flight (on IB or LH, for example) would not require it, correct?

The MAD-FRA leg on LA704 is considered a non-Schengen flight, thus requiring passengers to clear immigration upon arrival in Frankfurt. For other airlines this is not the case as the whole flight (and the whole payload) originates within the UE.

This is probably because of the same "remaining airside" thing. Passengers coming from SCL on that flight actually enter the UE via FRA, not MAD.
Since it would be a pain to sort passengers upon arrival, everyone goes through immigration at FRA
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: LATAM Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
I've done that flight on LATAM before (LA702 + LA704), your bags will go straight to FRA, and you clear immigration there too, but you will need to leave the plane and make a very quick security check at MAD.

Since LATAM only operate on T4S at MAD, all flights leaving that terminal are considered non-Schengen. If you connect with any other flight outside the T4S (*) you will have to go through immigration and security check at MAD, and continue to your Schengen destination.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Not sure that the LATAM section has a in-flight meal thread, but figured I'd post my experience for the MAD-FRA leg. I flew in Y+, which was free for me as a Oneworld Emerald.

LATAM 704
Snack
MAD-FRA

As a Oneworld Emerald member through AA, I was granted easy access to the FastTrack Lane in MAD and no questions asked at the lounge in the satellite terminal.

This flight was full, despite the seat map in the days leading up to the flight, and my row (14) was full of seat opponents. The aircraft and in-flight experience is clearly a major step-up from most intra-Europe flights. The 787 seats were hard with limited seat padding. I appreciated the comprehensive in-flight entertainment system and complimentary headphones. Once in-flight, we were offered a choice of either a ham and cheese or a "vegetable and cheese" sandwich. I chose the latter, which had pesto sauce in it, and I found quite satisfactory; and, being complimentary, certainly way better than the competition offers. There was also a Kit-Kat bar in the box. The red wine I ordered was easy and even better...free. Overall this was a good flight and way better than the competition. I highly recommend this flight should you have the need to fly between these two cities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.