Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

ICN - JFK - LATAM (INT - INT 9 hour layover)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Entertainment

SO... our group is coming in from ICN to JFK for a 9 hour layover, flying to Chile via LATAM airlines.

We have about 70 bags that needs to be checked in.

1. My question is whether we have to pull all 70 bags and re-check them in at the counter 9 hours later.. or if there was an option to just find specific bags that we will need for the layover, and have the rest go straight to our final destination in chile.

2. In the case that we need to re-check bags 9 hours later, is there a holding area for the luggage at the terminals?

3. I think I did read online somewhere that although you will need to get your backs after customs, but there is a way to auto-transfer the luggage and get it to our final dest?

Thank you for your time!
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: LAN COMODORO
As far as i know you will have to pick your bags take them with you for customs and then check them for the conection to your destiny. I have never fly INT - INT with a USA stop but i have done SCL - MIA - DFW - HKG (or the other way) many times and always have to pick my bags on the first USA airport and re check them.

If your bags get Tag all the way to SCL you just check them as conection right away. If they just get tag to JFK i think you will have to wait for someone at LAN to open the counter o that may accept your bags......i dont think counters will be open all day, in MCO they just work about 6 hours.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
At various times (some years yes, others not), when travelling AA to AA, certain airports permit International-to-International thru-check of luggage. When this is authorised, a red "ITI" tag would be applied to your bag at the original point of check-in, and you wouldn't see it again until delivery at the final international destination airport.

Don't ever recall this being available at JFK... though I mostly make ITI transits in MIA and/or DFW - both places where it's been allowed in the past (and at least in Miami, is currently still allowed). Also don't know if it's permitted on AA -> OneWorld connections.

As you'll be arriving on what seems to be an ICN-JFK non-stop (presumably as part of a single-ticket to SCL), you'll need to check policies with whichever carrier is operating your inbound flight.

Most likely case: at original check-in, your bags should be tagged all the way to SCL, and so even if you must collect them in JFK, you'd just drop them on the connecting baggage belt right after customs; so no need to re-check at the LATAM counter. But YMMV.

Good luck!
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by checkerboard
At various times (some years yes, others not), when travelling AA to AA, certain airports permit International-to-International thru-check of luggage. When this is authorised, a red "ITI" tag would be applied to your bag at the original point of check-in, and you wouldn't see it again until delivery at the final international destination airport.

Don't ever recall this being available at JFK... though I mostly make ITI transits in MIA and/or DFW - both places where it's been allowed in the past (and at least in Miami, is currently still allowed). Also don't know if it's permitted on AA -> OneWorld connections.

As you'll be arriving on what seems to be an ICN-JFK non-stop (presumably as part of a single-ticket to SCL), you'll need to check policies with whichever carrier is operating your inbound flight.

Most likely case: at original check-in, your bags should be tagged all the way to SCL, and so even if you must collect them in JFK, you'd just drop them on the connecting baggage belt right after customs; so no need to re-check at the LATAM counter. But YMMV.

Good luck!
I've done NRT-DFW-SCL (AA), LHR-MIA-SCL (BA/LA), and LHR-DFW-SCL (aa) recently, in all cases agents at check in confirmed that for INT-INT itineraries you don't need to get bags and pass through customs, adding the red tag. But never done it through JFK.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: LAN COMODORO
Originally Posted by dbasulto
I've done NRT-DFW-SCL (AA), LHR-MIA-SCL (BA/LA), and LHR-DFW-SCL (aa) recently, in all cases agents at check in confirmed that for INT-INT itineraries you don't need to get bags and pass through customs, adding the red tag. But never done it through JFK.
ICN JFK is only operated by Asiana and Korean, so it may be on separated tickets with the LA fly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.