Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LATAM/LAN vs. Avianca: LAX-LIM

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AA Exec Platinum, TG ROP, WOH Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum
LATAM/LAN vs. Avianca: LAX-LIM

I have the option to take either in November -- only real difference is with LAN I'd have to pay for one ticket and with Avianca both would be award tix.

Flying in biz from LAX to Peru (with LAN it would be direct, so that's a plus right there) and with Avianca it would be through Bogota. A plus for Avianca is that domestic flights would be in biz, whereas LAN doesn't offer them.

I've read multiple threads dissecting the two and most tend to be in regards to domestic vs. international. General consensus seems to be they're very similar.

Choosing Avianca based on the award rez seems to be a no-brainer but one thing I've read that makes Avianca seem most disinteresting is that I've heard on the international legs, their service ranges from disinterested and apathetic to outright terrible. Would rather buy the one ticket if the service/flights are that bad internationally. I know many folks who have flown LAN internationally and rather enjoyed it.

Anyone with first-hand experience who can chime in, I'd appreciate it.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AA Exec Platinum, TG ROP, WOH Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum
Did someone pass gas? What does it take to get even one response to this? Is this the wrong forum? Should I post on Avianca's?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: LAN COMODORO
I will start this post by saying that i have never fly with Avianca, but my brother has, and we have fly Latam and some others together. He toll me that the seats in Lan are far nicer than Aviancas (767 vs A330) and the service is far better in Lan.

I think that you can credit the miles from the pay ticket with Latam, that fly will get you about 28.000 Kms with no status and double that with Platinum or more. So that could be good for up to a LAX LIM in eco.... if you cant credit or use those KMs maybe Avianca will be a better choice

I dont know why you talk about Avianca having a Business class in domestic, since you wont have any domestic flys.... i think you where talking about the BOG LIM fly, that will be on a A320 (or A320 family ) that will have a recliner business seat, and you will be there for 3 hours.

I have read a few reviews on Avianca Lounges on Bogota and all have been a bad review, so i dont know if that can also be a thing to help you decide.... if i can have a fly with OW from China to US or a fly from China to Hong Kong and then US i will take that one so i can use the Cathay lounges.

Latam has quality standars, i thinked it was just two, but then i was able to try the 3rd and all the post that i have readed about it came true. You can have the TAM standar (Brazilian crew) that you will have little to no service, they only talk portuguese (only 1 or 2 out of the crew will speak english or spanish) and you will have to ask for everything.... i mean they will have water botles for all J cabin but they dont give it to you, you will need to ask for it. Then you will have the Latam Argentinean crew, quitte similar to a Tam crew, but they so speak english and spanish and they will treat you nicer as far as they are in the cabin (after dinner you wont see them again until breakfast). And finaly you will have Latam Peruvian or Chilean crew (take fly 601 so you can have them) that have a much better way to give the service.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Pablo!

I should've been clearer in my OP. We are planning onwards, inter-Peruvian travel while there, so there will be at least 2-3 internal flights in Peru. Hence the reason to bring up domestic business class.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:40 am

Direct flight LAX-LIM with Latam vs. LAX-BOG-LIM on Avianca? No question, go with Lan/Latam. Aside from the fact that Avianca is an execrable airline, I would always, always, always go with a direct flight over a connection in Latin America. The question of flying business for domestic flights within Peru is a non-issue. These are 1-hour flights where "Business" is a slightly larger Coach seat and maybe a drink.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: LATAM Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
If you are a spanish-speaker please check my review of Biz with Avianca: http://www.madeinscl.com/2016/09/28/...iago-a-bogota/

If you are not... all i can say is that i didn't feel a special treatment for flying on Biz with them, it was basically Economy with better seats. Crew members and ground services sucks, even in Bogotá... and moreover if you have connections, they don't have a transit counter inside BOG!! you have to leave security and enter again if you need assistance.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Isn't LAX-BOG on Avianca's new 787s?
I haven't flown them but they are all aisle access and look nice.
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-class-review/

LAN flies 767s and 787s never of which are all aisle access. And aren't some 767s really old?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: LAN COMODORO
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Isn't LAX-BOG on Avianca's new 787s?
I haven't flown them but they are all aisle access and look nice.
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-class-review/

LAN flies 767s and 787s never of which are all aisle access. And aren't some 767s really old?
But he wants to go from LAX to LIM, sure the leg LAX - BOG will have a great seat, but then you will have a 3 hour fly on a A320 with a recliner seat.

Then the seat it self sure will have aisle access, but it is less wider seat 23" LAN vs 21" AV. Also i think he will not be flying alone, so the 2-2-2 configuration should not be a problem.

Then you have the service, i will ratter have to pass my legs over another flyer than having a bad service.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread.

I have the option between Avianca and LATAM for GRU-BOG return in biz class. The AV flights will be on A330 (not sure if new or old config) whereas LATAM flights will be on B767-300 operated by LATAM Airlines Brazil. Any significant difference between these carriers/flights? (I have never flown any of them).

I'm Star Alliance Gold so lounge access should be granted for the AV flights, whereas I have no elite status with OW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.