Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on routes to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: LAN COMODORO
Originally Posted by mrisoli
Just called Latam Brasil and they said there is no availability for upgrades with points on GRU-LHR on jan 5th , I assumed since its quite easy to get 20k on multiplus a lot of people have them, however the person on the phone told me it could either be all seats are taken or they might be only available in the near future, is this usual or should I not have my hopes up?

I checked on Expert Flyer and it shows around 12 seats available for the flights, I assume since most are unavailable thats why upgrades with points are unavailable
Renember that not because you can see available seat you can get that seat with points.

If you are using some other airline points (in my experience) you will only be able to book flys with low demand since the reward charts for other airline are fixed.....let me explain, a SCL - NYC - SCL if you are using Latam Kms can be from 70.000 to about 230.000 depending on dates and availability. As i inderstand after talking to Latam, you can only book that fly using some other airline points when they are on that base fare or near it 70.000.

12 out of 56 seats is not a lot (is about 20%) so i will guess you wont be able to upgrade with points, they will prefer to leave those seats open for upgrade Latam Elite or Pay upgrades
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by PABLOCO
Renember that not because you can see available seat you can get that seat with points.

If you are using some other airline points (in my experience) you will only be able to book flys with low demand since the reward charts for other airline are fixed.....let me explain, a SCL - NYC - SCL if you are using Latam Kms can be from 70.000 to about 230.000 depending on dates and availability. As i inderstand after talking to Latam, you can only book that fly using some other airline points when they are on that base fare or near it 70.000.

12 out of 56 seats is not a lot (is about 20%) so i will guess you wont be able to upgrade with points, they will prefer to leave those seats open for upgrade Latam Elite or Pay upgrades
Yeah, I assumed there won't be much availability for a points upgrade since it is not a low demand flight, well, I tried anyway.

Just another question, Latam has in the last few days announced they will accept bidding for upgrades, but since my flight was booked by a travel agency I can't make changes to the reservation, so I guess I can't bid on it? Could I maybe bid at the counter?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:03 pm

Yeah, I assumed there won't be much availability for a points upgrade since it is not a low demand flight, well, I tried anyway.

Just another question, Latam has in the last few days announced they will accept bidding for upgrades, but since my flight was booked by a travel agency I can't make changes to the reservation, so I guess I can't bid on it? Could I maybe bid at the counter?
I cant help you on where you can bid since i never done it..... bid upgrades are below Elite so i will never use it.

What i can help you with is that i have read that Bids are really high, the minimun is about 1200 Usd..... dont know if i will pay an extra 1200 for an upgrade that for what i understand is only oneway
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, AF Platinum,TK and A3 Gold
Hi There
any I correct to think that Latam Brazil if you were Black or Black signature you can upgrade with any class?
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, AF Platinum,TK and A3 Gold
Hi there,
Am I correct to think that if you were Black or Black signature Latam Brazil you can upgrade any class?
Old Dec 31, 2016, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by john1987
Hi there,
Am I correct to think that if you were Black or Black signature Latam Brazil you can upgrade any class?
Yes on any fare class. Normally when i have secured my status i just fly on Base Fare. You need to make sure that all your fly is operated by Tam (Latam Brasil)
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:32 am

From what I got on Latam website minimum bid for an upgrade is around 400 USD, I won't probably bid anyway, but thanks for all the help to everyone, specially PABLOCO!
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:42 am

From what I got on Latam website minimum bid for an upgrade is around 400 USD, I won't probably bid anyway, but thanks for all the help to everyone, specially PABLOCO!
Nice to know, many people did complain about the 1000+ dolars as minimum bed, since i as posted in other topic (maybe this one, but a while ago) the RT bid could be higher than the ticket price for Business (at least on Scl to Usa routes)
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: Latam Black Signatura, AA EP, Copa Platinum, Avianca Gold, Alitalia Frecia Alata
Yes, I am Black Signature and I can buy for example cheaper fare for economy class and when open check in I can make and request the upgrade. This year LATAM announcement the confirmation of upgrade should be 10 or 12 hours before the flight...or 24h i don't remember now because every upgrades as I received the Latam anounces when boarding.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: LATAM Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
wrong thread :P

Last edited by Gio Salinas; Jan 23, 2017 at 5:46 am
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: LATAM
Originally Posted by Carolinas
I am wondering on which route there would be higher probability of getting cabin upgrade to business (for Latampass Black members): SCL - FRA (with a stopover in MAD) or SCL-GRU-FRA ? What's your experience ?

Also, your any other suggestions are highly appreciated !

Thanks a lot in advance ^
Hi, I'd say that you have a much greater chance of getting an UPG if you fly via GRU. The SCL-MAD route is very busy on business and a 787 only has 36 business seats. On the other hand, GRU-FRA is not as busy on business as there are many flights from GRU to Europe, it's a 777 with 56 seats on business (8 rows of 7 seats). Safe travels and good luck!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: LATAM
Hi, here's a great tip. Buy your tickets on the Latam Brazil site. All tickets issued in Brazil are eligible for UPG irrespective of the fare. Safe Travels.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Gio Salinas
This really sucks! it happened to me on a trip to Easter Island, i was first on the upg list, and there were 12 empty seats the night before the flight. When we get to the gate we were informed that J cabin was full.... HOW!!!??

Then i talk with someone at the gate counter, and they told me that some of the seats were sold last minute, and they made just 1 upgrade, but couldn't see it in the upg list, i was still the first. Apparently, some VIP took that upgrade for him and his whole family.
Easter Island is different since on Expert flyer you wont see the seats taken by passagers buying or using awards from other airlines (there is tons of topics about how they are not able to choose seats). Most of those seats will be given under airport control.

Also you didnt put your status, Easter is a great place for a status run, so many Black and Black Signature will use it
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by jafetzjaim
Hi, here's a great tip. Buy your tickets on the Latam Brazil site. All tickets issued in Brazil are eligible for UPG irrespective of the fare. Safe Travels.
NOOOOO!!!!!!!!

This info is so wrong that i dont know where to start.

Black and Black Signature passengers may apply for upgrades on Latam Brasil in any fare class. But it does not matter if you buy on the Latam Brasil website, what you need is that the fly is operated by Latam Brasil or Tam or JJ

-If you buy on Latam Brasil a LA fly on Base and you are Black Status....no upgrade

-Platinum on base fare on a JJ fly.... no upgrade
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: LATAM Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by PABLOCO
Easter Island is different since on Expert flyer you wont see the seats taken by passagers buying or using awards from other airlines (there is tons of topics about how they are not able to choose seats). Most of those seats will be given under airport control.

Also you didnt put your status, Easter is a great place for a status run, so many Black and Black Signature will use it
sorry, wrong thread :P... BUT, didn't know that EF won't show seats bought with awards from other airlines, it is the same for awards from latam?? any other seats that will not show up?

According to the upg list, there was just 3 people, me and my girlfriend and another person (all Latam Gold)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.