Search

NEWBIE TO LATAM Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
NEWBIE TO LATAM Questions

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are taking another trip to Latin America in Dec/Jan. I saw that LATAM will then have non stop flights from LAX to SCL a few days a week. We live in SF and I think this is great news as I am tired of going through Houston, Dallas, Miami, or JFK.

Here are my questions:

1. Do you think if they are selling this nonstop route it will stay in place? We are leaving Dec. 17th.

2. We will be flying back to LAX from BA and have found a connecting 787-900 flight from BA to SCL with a 2 hour layover before taking the flight to LAX. Is that enough time to connect? It is two different flight numbers. This flight is in mid Jan. Or should we take an earlier flight?

3. Which business class seats do you recommend on the 787-900?

Thank you for your help!! I am UA GS, but am tired of the Houston connection and even though LAX to SFO can be unreliable, at least there are lots of flights and it is only 1 hour. Also UA is going to be flying their 767 to SCL and 777 from BA - neither of which are great options. They had been doing their Dreamliner for awhile, but not during those times.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The nonstop hopefully will stick as a year-round service.

Two hours is plenty of connection time @ SCL. One hour works. You need to go through transit security, which is quick. Two hours is better because you will have time to visit the beautiful (yet hard to find) lounge. I've taken (and attempted to take) the EZE/SCL segment, and when there have been issues, EZE ground staff have put me on AA via DFW as to not misconnect. Not ideal, but not painful.

I've never been on the 789. I don't know if there are any idiosyncrasies that make it different than the 788.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: LANPASS
The B788 and B789 are pretty much identical, save for small very non-relevant differences (at least in LAN's configuration)

Business class layouts are pretty much the same (the difference being that in the 787-8, the first 3 business rows are separated from the last 2 by a small hall you will see at boarding, while on the -9 you will board behind the fifth row)

Both business cabins have a 2-2-2 layout with pretty much the same seats, IFE screens and service, so deciding which is the best seat comes down to personal preference mostly.
I personally try to get as much shut eye as I can, so I'll take a window (A/L) or center (D/H) seat whenever possible to avoid having my seat mate jumping over me to get aisle access (that's THE thing with LA's 2-2-2 business class... window seats don't have direct aisle access)

2 hours is more than enough to connect at SCL. It should take about 15 minutes from gate to gate if you can go through transit security. Make sure that the LA staff at EZE checks your baggage through to LAX so you don't have to pick it up at SCL and re-check it landside, as that will add a good 30 minutes or more)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.