Wiki Posts
Search

Dreamliner 26A/L blocked?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Dreamliner 26A/L blocked?

Hello!

I just booked a LAN flight SCL-MEX-SCL, and noticed that in both LA 622 and LA621 (Dreamliner 787-8) the exit row window seats are blocked (not occupied, but blocked), and also EF shows them as blocked. As OW Emerald I can choose the middle and aisle, but the window one is always my pick if in Economy on overnight flights.

On other routes with the 787-8 such as SCL-MIA, those seats are also blocked. But on the Dreamliner (787-9) the exit row window seat is not blocked (30A/L).

Any idea on why do they block those particular seats, and how to get them assigned? Usually when I call LAN is always an endless loop as I'm a OW Emerald, but not a LAN Elite.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: LANPASS
How can you tell the seat is blocked instead of occupied? Latam.com doesn't actually show the difference between the two.

With the current seat layout, it's actually a good thing that window exit seats on latam's 787-8 are blocked. Those are incredibly uncomfortable because they get you too close to the raft in the door (which is a big bulge and you actually need to sit a little bit in a diagonal).

On the 787-9 (note: both are called Dreamliner, not just the -9) the window exits are not blocked because the layout is a little bit different, the seat is a little bit further back from the door and the raft doesn't make it uncomfortable to be in for 8+ hours

I used to have a couple photos of 26A with me in it, but I can't seem to find them

hope that helps a bit
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Even thought I'm not tall, I found that window seat too uncomfortable for a redeye flight.

If you are larger than 66 inches, as jlarroulet said, you are better off taking the aisle seat anyways.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlarroulet
How can you tell the seat is blocked instead of occupied? Latam.com doesn't actually show the difference between the two.

With the current seat layout, it's actually a good thing that window exit seats on latam's 787-8 are blocked. Those are incredibly uncomfortable because they get you too close to the raft in the door (which is a big bulge and you actually need to sit a little bit in a diagonal).
Expert Flyer shows them as blocked and not occupied. It is a good tool to check seats. Thanks for the advice.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:38 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'm a bit confused by seat selection for OW emerald too. I just booked MAD FRA for a piffling 17€ base fare and I was able to book seats but the first 7 rows of economy and the exit rows were showing as unavailable.

I don't think such a cheap fare allows seat selection 3 months before so is that an emerald perk? But it's odd that the seats in the front rows that I would have been able to book as a LA elite are not available.

So has LAN recognised OW status and let me choose a seat? Or anyone is allowed to book a seat, LAN has not recognised status and that's why I cannot book the best seats.

I'm not fussed, it's only a short daytime flight, I'm just wondering what the policy is.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:08 am

Programs: LAN COMODORO
You can now choose your seats on any fare, and anyone can choose any seat in the plane. If you choose a emergency or Space+ seat a small window will pop up saying that you will have to pay from 3 to 15usd at the check in.

The problem with that is that i can take the first row, and i can keep it for free up to 48 hours before a fly ( i think that you can keep it until the online check in is closed ). So you may not be able to choose seats that will able on the fly.

About a Oneworld status and not Lan elite, i have never ckeched. But when i see a seat map, all the first row will say "able to choose for OWE" (or something similar) it does not says anything about Lan Black
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by PABLOCO
You can now choose your seats on any fare, and anyone can choose any seat in the plane. If you choose a emergency or Space+ seat a small window will pop up saying that you will have to pay from 3 to 15usd at the check in.

The problem with that is that i can take the first row, and i can keep it for free up to 48 hours before a fly ( i think that you can keep it until the online check in is closed ). So you may not be able to choose seats that will able on the fly.

About a Oneworld status and not Lan elite, i have never ckeched. But when i see a seat map, all the first row will say "able to choose for OWE" (or something similar) it does not says anything about Lan Black
Thanks for the reply, although I have to confess it has confused me more.

So as a OWE I should be able to book the first row but I have to pay for it? Or I am just told that I have to pay for it and then it is free?

Of course it's still not possible to tell whether LATAM is not picking up my status or it is picking up my status and these seats have already been chosen. Unlikely I think on a MAD FRA flight.

I do remember when I was a LA Sapphire that I could book rows 2-8 (ish) and not row 1, then when I was a LA Emerald I could book row 1ABC but not rows 2-8. If this is still the case and I am afforded the same benefit as a BA Emerald then it is entirely feasible that those 3 seats have gone.

In hindsight I probably ought to have booked IB on this route.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: LAN COMODORO
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Thanks for the reply, although I have to confess it has confused me more.

So as a OWE I should be able to book the first row but I have to pay for it? Or I am just told that I have to pay for it and then it is free?

Of course it's still not possible to tell whether LATAM is not picking up my status or it is picking up my status and these seats have already been chosen. Unlikely I think on a MAD FRA flight.

I do remember when I was a LA Sapphire that I could book rows 2-8 (ish) and not row 1, then when I was a LA Emerald I could book row 1ABC but not rows 2-8. If this is still the case and I am afforded the same benefit as a BA Emerald then it is entirely feasible that those 3 seats have gone.

In hindsight I probably ought to have booked IB on this route.
Well i just book a fly yesterday and there have been a few changes on the seat selection tool.

Before anyone (status or not) was able to book any seat, if you didnt have status on OW (or low status) a windows pop up from the site telling that you had to pay from 3 to 15 usd (domestic) for front rows or emergency exit. But you need it to pay that at the check in.

Now (made a booking 3 hours ago) you will have to choose any seat on the plane, for non status and low status, you will see how much you need to pay to book those seats (front or emergency) and will be charged to you at the check out.

About the first rows or emergency exits for OWE (not able on OWS for international). You can take any seat an will say something like "free of charge due to your Oneworld Emerald status". I dont know how it will be to book with a frecuent flyer number from outside of Lan, but it should be the same (if not.... give a call to CS)
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:46 pm

I think my problem is that my BA number did not stick on LATAM.com. It is not in my PDF confirmation.

I have to book more LATAM flights so will add the FF# to both and see how the seat choosing thing changes

Cheers for your comments
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by dbasulto
Expert Flyer shows them as blocked and not occupied. It is a good tool to check seats. Thanks for the advice.

It's been a long time since this post, but I did check with a couple of inside sources and they confirmed that 26A/L are indeed deliberately blocked on the 787-8 because of them being too uncomfortable.
They are assigned to:
1.- non-revs
2.- Revenue passengers who actually request them at the counter
3.- As a last resort to the final revenue passengers to check in at the counter in case the flight is fully booked
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:16 pm

Ok nailed this.

It seems the frequent flyer programme and number fields on LATAM.com are just dummy fields to lure you into the incorrect assumption that you are dealing with an airline that doesn't suck at IT.

Basically nothing happens. I called up and added my BAEC number to my two reservations and I can pretty much select any seat in the cabin now. The seats show up as emerald coloured. Exit seats are emerald coloured with a red E on them.

Any other non-LATAM elites that swing by here wondering why their elite seat selection looks awfully restricted, your FF number probably didn't go anywhere. If your FF number is recognised then it shows under your name in "My Trips" when you access your booking
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlarroulet
It's been a long time since this post, but I did check with a couple of inside sources and they confirmed that 26A/L are indeed deliberately blocked on the 787-8 because of them being too uncomfortable.
They are assigned to:
1.- non-revs
2.- Revenue passengers who actually request them at the counter
3.- As a last resort to the final revenue passengers to check in at the counter in case the flight is fully booked
Interesting. hehe, I'm not short but I don't find it that uncomfortable. With people standing for the toilet I think 26C aisle is not so good, and middle seat always suck. Mid section of row 26 has people moving from aisle to aisle.

What is in your opinion the best economy seat on the 787-9?
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by dbasulto
Interesting. hehe, I'm not short but I don't find it that uncomfortable. With people standing for the toilet I think 26C aisle is not so good, and middle seat always suck. Mid section of row 26 has people moving from aisle to aisle.

What is in your opinion the best economy seat on the 787-9?
It comes down to personal preference, but being a little bit hyper-kinetic, I go for 12A/L (first economy row, window) whenever possible, as it allows for some space to move around without needing to wake up anyone plus I really do value being able to place my head against the wall to get some sleep

The good thing about the 787-9 is that they are being retrofitted with a space+ section (rows 12-16 IIRC) which is not THAT much space, but has a quite handy foot rest and a little bit more recline.

That said, I sleep like a bear so no matter where I end up sitting I tend to fall asleep before pushback, never recline my seat and wake up for touchdown... so I'll usually get window seats so no one needs to wake me up or jump over me if they need to walk around
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
BAEC Number

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Ok nailed this. ...Any other non-LATAM elites that swing by here wondering why their elite seat selection looks awfully restricted, your FF number probably didn't go anywhere. If your FF number is recognised then it shows under your name in "My Trips" when you access your booking
Rather than start a new thread, how does one get a BAEC number assigned to a LATAM booking made through an OTA if the OTA hasn't processed it into the booking? I've got flights booked in J SCL-IPO-SCL and have managed to allocate seats via My Trips on LATAM com but the FF number field only allows entry of a LATAM number, not any other OW FF number.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by heartybob
Rather than start a new thread, how does one get a BAEC number assigned to a LATAM booking made through an OTA if the OTA hasn't processed it into the booking?
If you have an Amadeus Record Locater, try using the "Manage My Booking" function of rj.com, finnair.com, qantas.com, or ba.com. It's not always successful, but one of these four usually manages to do the trick..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.