Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAS to DEN on UA best side to view Grand Canyon

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I know it doesn't answer the OP's questions, but I had stunning views of the Grand Canyon on a recenet UA Express MSP-LAX flight. Was seated in "A" seat. Totally unexpected surprise.
Yep, I've been r/t ORD-LAS maybe 20+ times and I've only seen it once, but it's possible. I've seen the Hoover Dam a couple times, and that's pretty cool.

Definitely will be to the south though if they're close enough to see it.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AugustusM
I was in Vegas a few weeks ago for work and on climb out we passed south of the Grand Canyon. .
going to ????
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
post 'em.

David
I haven't figured out to post pics on this site, any help would be appreciated. I've been taking a bunch of photos for my nieces who have a blog that they use to follow me around the country on my weekly work trips.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
going to ????
Paradise on earth, EWR.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 23, 2017 at 12:00 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I haven't figured out to post pics on this site, any help would be appreciated. I've been taking a bunch of photos for my nieces who have a blog that they use to follow me around the country on my weekly work trips ....
See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...hoto-post.html

I was in Vegas a few weeks ago for work and on climb out we passed south of the Grand Canyon. .
going to ????
Paradise on earth, EWR.
So a more southerly routing than the OP's query
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Just for the record, the LAS-EWR flights usually pass north of the Grand Canyon (or at least flies over the north side of it). Flights usually pass on the south side to places like IAH, MIA, etc.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:41 pm

See [url]
Yes, a bit.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:42 pm

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...hoto-post.html

Attached Images  
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
this is not thread related. But Spirit has a 6 am flight MCI-LAS. You get to Grand Canyon Area right after sunrise local time and the sun shining against the side of canyon walls is amazing.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
I have been on this flight more than 10 times in the last 3 years. While you can see it on the right side of the aircraft, I would say the plane is usually too low and just too far north to really see it well. Frankly, I have had much better views of it from the let side of the plane from SAN - DEN
Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:43 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Since this isn't specific to United, I'm going to move it to the Las Vegas forum. Please follow it there.

l'etoile
United moderator
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:56 am

My experience has been LEFT side the best. Normal pattern is just east of the dam over the lake from IAH. DEN should be about the same.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by standby my man
My experience has been LEFT side the best. Normal pattern is just east of the dam over the lake from IAH. DEN should be about the same.
Ah, no. Flight paths IAH-LAS and DEN-LAS are just a teensy bit different.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Ah, no. Flight paths IAH-LAS and DEN-LAS are just a teensy bit different.

Of course, but are you saying DEN path is SOUTHWEST of IAH path?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
DEN path is considerably north of IAH path. So far north so that you're over Southern Utah, not in visible sight of the Grand Canyon.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Just to add some information to this: Typically from LAS, planes will take off to the west on runway 25R. For flights to destinations to the east of LAS, this takeoff direction will result in a long turn back to the east after takeoff. To destinations to the south of LAS (e.g., IAH, DFW, MIA, etc.), the plane will turn to the south (left) on its way eastbound. To destinations to the north of LAS, (e.g., DEN, ORD, JFK, etc.), the plane will turn to the north (right) on its way eastbound.

This results in much different views on the way out; for example, those wanting to see Hoover Dam would want to sit on the left side of the plane to destinations to the south of LAS, but on the right side of the plane to destinations to the north of LAS.

However - as anyone who lives in Las Vegas knows - weather patterns here vary considerably (and often change even in very short periods of time), so taking off to the west is certainly no sure thing, and all four takeoff directions (1R/19L/7L/25R) are used fairly regularly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.