Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lan's new A320/321 questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Lan's new A320/321 questions

Have a SCL-RIO-SCL with Lan in Y+ booked (A320 both ways). I have a few questions:
1. How many of these new interior ac do Lan have?
2. Whats the likelihood they are used on the Rio run?
3. Is the Y+ cabin with the new interior better than the old Lan A320 Y+ cabin i.e. leg room, seat, IFE, bells whistles....?

Have only ever flown Lan in y+ on an older A320 SCL-EZE-SCL and found that OK. (I still feel a four hour+ flight should have recliner seats)

Thanks
CJ
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Premium Economy vs Space+ versions

According to SeatGuru, LAN has 3 different A320 layouts:

What SeatGuru calls version 1 has 168 economy seats, 30 inch pitch (except for exit rows) and 17 inch width. This is what I just flew today on LAN Argentina AEP-BRC.

What SeatGuru calls version 2 has a Premium Economy section with 12 recliner seats, and then the Economy section with 150 seats which are apparently just like the ones on version 1.

What SeatGuru calls version 3 has no Premium Economy, but has 36 "Space+" seats with 32 inches of pitch instead of 30. (Which is only about half the increase in pitch compared to extra-legroom seats within the economy cabin at North American airlines.) And then it 138 of the same spacing as on the other versions.

It's not clear to me whether LAN is going in two directions at once or whether they changed their minds and did one of those first and are doing another one now.

I do with LAN Argentina would update their A320s to either version 2 or version 3. How do they decide which version to use where? Is it simply that they keep each plane forever as it was originally ordered?

Of note, the version 3 plane seems to have the same total number of seats as the version 1 plane. It seems they gained the extra space by stealing space from in front of row 1 (as some other airlines have done).

SeatGuru only shows one version of the A321, with Space+. But SeatGuru takes a while to update new planes. So is there a Premium Economy version of the A321 now?

Finally, is SCL-Rio a LAN flight or a TAM flight? TAM has also used A320s for a number of years, if I remember correctly what I read in the November "In" in-flight magazine today (in the "timeline" section). LAN and TAM may not (yet?) be synchronized on plane layouts of the same plane types. SeatGuru is confusing on this, since they say that the all-economy version has "Comfort" seats (which sounds identical to LAN's Space+), but doesn't show them on the seat map!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: LATAM Black; AA EXP
I hope your flights are operated by TAM.. then you get recliner seats...
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: LAN COMODORO
The Y+ in Lan is just economy with more leg room. On saturday i toke the a fly and i was told that has premium economy, well they send me to seat 2A, I asked if is posible to go on 1A and i was told that the only premium seat open was 2A.

Well when i toke the plane i got seat next to another Comodoro, the seat in the Middle was lock and fited with diferent armrest that did make our sits a bit wider. After the plane was boarded i realiced that all seats on Y+ where toke by 3 people, just like a normal Y.

Sure we got a better meal. Got the wider seat and the look middle seat, but that is all. There is no way i will pay for that.

On TAM Y+ is good
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SCLflyer
No, both flights are with LAN. I've heard bad stories about TAM and interlining bags (as I will need to do from Rio back home to Sydney on QF 28).

That said, I've heard not much better reports of LANs ground service being terrible, esp when things go wrong. I still think LAN is the lesser of the 'evils' so to speak. I do know however that LANs aircraft and inflight service/food are pretty good

Still, very excited to be visiting Chile and Brazil!

CJ
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SCLflyer
Hi SCL Flyer

Regarding my SCL-RIO flight sector(currently booked with LAN in y+).........
Have just had some seats in premium economy open on TAM the same day but an earlier flight. I note that TAM flies two versions of the A320 so what are my chances of getting the A320 with the recliner seats in Y+(which I presume used be classed as the Business Cabin prior to merger with LAN)?

I don't want to change only to get the A321/A319 or non recliner seat A320 glorified economy seat Y+ version. I'm guessing this is a medium haul at 5 hours so does logic prevail that they'll always use the recliner A320 version? Does anyone fly this route regularly enough to let me know which A320 version is used by TAM on SCL-RIO-SCL?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.