Wiki Posts
Search

MAD-FRA - what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
MAD-FRA - what to expect?

Later in the year we are taking, for fun, a flight on the Dreamliner MAD to FRA ( I believe it starts in Santiago) in the business cabin. Does anyone know what we can expect for that short hop in terms of food, drink etc?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I'll give you some feedback this Friday, when I will fly FRA to MAD. As that is the beginning of the trip to Santiago, I expect the business cabin to be ready as normal before a long flight. But I wonder what it will be like getting into a business cabin that has already been slept in coming from Santiago to Madrid. Do they have time to clean it before the MAD-FRA sector?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: LATAM PASS Black Signature, AA EXP 3MM, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Concerto
But I wonder what it will be like getting into a business cabin that has already been slept in coming from Santiago to Madrid. Do they have time to clean it before the MAD-FRA sector?
Yes. The a/c arrives into MAD from SCL at 13:05 and then departs for FRA at 15:15. At MAD the a/c is cleaned and catered and a fresh crew will fly the MAD-FRA-MAD sectors, (the a/c is also cleaned at FRA). Also, beware that the flight may operate with the 787-9 instead of the 787-8 as LAN has been randomly deploying the 787-9 to MAD/FRA as of late...
Old Jul 11, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Last night I was on the 787-8 and the flight was enjoyable although not fantastic. We were able to use the Air Canada lounge at FRA which was adequate, with a decent food and drink selection.

The business cabin was full but very spacious. Pre takeoff drinks and nuts were offered. I found the service proactive and friendly. I tried both Chilean red wines on offer, finding the Malbec slightly better than the Cabernet Sauvignon. My neighbour said the white wine was excellent. Food service consisted of a cold meal, chicken salad with tomato salsa, with separate dishes of fruit and cheese. Nothing stellar but not so bad. No menus were offered and wine was poured from the bottle without showing me the label on the bottle (I had to ask). Other things offered that I did not make use of: bread basket, tea and coffee.

The aircraft, though, is like a spaceship and I liked the mood lighting. There are no window shutters, just a button you press to make it go dark thanks to the liquid crystal. The toilets were quite posh too!

I did not like the sleeper seat, really not long enough (my feet were jammed at the bottom as was my head at the top) and quite hard and lumpy. So I would not want to do a long flight on this plane.

Last edited by Concerto; Jul 11, 2015 at 1:24 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: KL FlyingBlue Gold, AY+, MM FTL, TK*G
I can add also that if you want to look outside, avoid row 3 since it has only 2 windows instead of 3, with the one directly by the seat missing.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:28 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by marbe166
I can add also that if you want to look outside, avoid row 3 since it has only 2 windows instead of 3, with the one directly by the seat missing.
Thanks for the heads up. I've just moved to row 4 for an upcoming AKL-SCL.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:06 am

Programs: BA gold, Hilton Diamond
bit surprised you used the AC lounge, as LAN site states they use the JAL lounge in FRA. Did you get any directions at check in on which lounge to use?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:06 am

Programs: KL FlyingBlue Gold, AY+, MM FTL, TK*G
Originally Posted by stijnec
bit surprised you used the AC lounge, as LAN site states they use the JAL lounge in FRA. Did you get any directions at check in on which lounge to use?
The JAL lounge is in FRA Terminal 2, if I'm not mistaken, and the LAN flight leaves from Terminal 1 (B gates), so using the JAL lounge would have been very inconvenient.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:09 am

Programs: BA gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by marbe166
The JAL lounge is in FRA Terminal 2, if I'm not mistaken, and the LAN flight leaves from Terminal 1 (B gates), so using the JAL lounge would have been very inconvenient.
fully agree on the inconvenience, but still showing on the LAN site http://www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_perso...p-lounges/lan/

Will be happy to use the AC lounge next month, read some good stories on it, and a lot more convenient
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:15 am

I had a great experience FRA-MAD-FRA while trying to gain a few cheap BA Tier Points, there's no wine reviews but my photos of the meals in here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.