Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LAN Carry-on Baggage for OneWorld Sapphires?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAN Carry-on Baggage for OneWorld Sapphires?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by IanWorthington
Is this a different LAN to the one I've been flying? I have never had my carryons weighed. (Yet...)
Do you travel through LIM often? From what I've been able to find for data points on weighed carry-ons on LAN, LIM seems to be the most frequent location where this occurs. I'm guessing that's because it's mostly in reference to Machu Picchu trips where I see any mention of it, so it could be a relatively useless data point.

Last edited by aves17; Apr 6, 2015 at 9:21 am
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by aves17
Do you travel through LIM often? From what I've been able to find for data points on weighed carry-ons on LAN, LIM seems to be the most frequent location where this occurs. I'm guessing that's because it's mostly in reference to Machu Picchu trips where I see any mention of it, so it could be a relatively useless data point.
Ah, the Internet. Jeje

My Lan has never weighed my carry on. I average about 40 flights a year LAN Peru for years. Never weighed my carry on. Many LAN Colombia flghts, never weighed my carry on. LAN International, repeat.

Not to say at LIM gates they do not have folks wandering looking for oversize bags to gate check, but not hard to avoid them.

Just a fun comment. Killing them with kindness is not the optimal strategy in SA, though always nice. As JC intimated above, having a good story line prepared is way better.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Ah, the Internet. Jeje

My Lan has never weighed my carry on. I average about 40 flights a year LAN Peru for years. Never weighed my carry on. Many LAN Colombia flghts, never weighed my carry on. LAN International, repeat.

Not to say at LIM gates they do not have folks wandering looking for oversize bags to gate check, but not hard to avoid them.

Just a fun comment. Killing them with kindness is not the optimal strategy in SA, though always nice. As JC intimated above, having a good story line prepared is way better.
This is good to know! Especially regarding the killing them with kindness approach. I guess it's time to craft up a good story line for them.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
I have had my carry on weighed TWICE.
-Once at the Ticket counter for LIM-LAX (and this was flying economy as a Oneworld Emerald at the Business check-in counter...I begged, but the TA was merciless)
-A second time for Cartagena-Bogota, at the gate, just a month ago. And my bag is on the small side (20 inches x 9 inches ) and it was not overpacked AT ALL. The GA were weighing every single wheeled carry on, not necessarily the ones that looked "oversized".

While for both times I was in business travel and packed very lightly, my carry on was over the 8kg limit. Very easy to go over the limit.

You are going to Machu Pichu and Bs Aires, that means you have to have all different kind of clothes (activewear for Cusco/Machu Pichu, light clothes during the day for Cusco, warm clothes for the night, more formal/elegant clothes for Bs Aires, etc, etc). I really don't see how you can fit everything in an carry-on.
Your bag will be at least 25lbs

IMO, and that's just me, do yourself a favor, avoid the stress and check your bag. Keep your valuable items or 1st necessity items in your "personal item".
If bag gets lost, delayed, just buy whatever you need and file a claim with the insurance, no sweat.

Last edited by carlosdca; Apr 6, 2015 at 11:54 am
Old Apr 6, 2015, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carlosdca
I have had my carry on weighed TWICE.
-Once at the Ticket counter for LIM-LAX (and this was flying economy as a Oneworld Emerald at the Business check-in counter...I begged, but the TA was merciless)
-A second time for Cartagena-Bogota, at the gate, just a month ago. And my bag is very small (20 inches) and it was not oversized or overpacked AT ALL. The GA were weighing every single wheeled carry on, not necessarily the ones that looked "oversized".

While for both times I was in business travel and packed very lightly, my carry on was over the 8kg limit. Very easy to go over the limit.

You are going to Machu Pichu and Bs Aires, that means you have to have all different kind of clothes (activewear for Cusco/Machu Pichu, light clothes during the day for Cusco, warm clothes for the night, more formal/elegant clothes for Bs Aires, etc, etc). I really don't see how you can fit everything in an carry-on.
Your bag will be at least 25lbs

IMO, and that's just me, do yourself a favor, avoid the stress and check your bag. Keep your valuable items or 1st necessity items in your "personal item".
If bag gets lost, delayed, just buy whatever you need and file a claim with the insurance, no sweat.
There will be an eclectic mix in my bag as the wedding in Buenos Aires is black tie. I know my bag won't be less than 25 pounds, but I've been traveling since I was a wee lil youngin' and have gotten really good at maximizing the space in my carry-on while minimizing what I need to bring. I don't think I will have any issues getting bag together for the week at under 35 pounds (the max for a carry-on for biz cabin segment) so I will probably just roll the dice and see how it comes out.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:19 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
So if the plane has a landing irregularity (in AC terms ) and everyone has to evacuate very quickly, will the carry-on be left behind (as instructed), or will the heavy thing be dragged from the locker and slow down everyone else?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
So if the plane has a landing irregularity (in AC terms ) and everyone has to evacuate very quickly, will the carry-on be left behind (as instructed), or will the heavy thing be dragged from the locker and slow down everyone else?
Oh, most definitely dragged out to slow everyone else down. Chances are good I'll drop it half way down the aisle because it's too heavy and it will end up turning into a tough mudder obstacle course of sorts
Old May 30, 2015, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Figured I would provide an update for a data point as we just finished our segments on LAN. Overall, LAN lived up to its so-so reputation. I definitely would never go out of my way to fly them, but they are decent.

The gate agents were definitely actively out looking for bags to tag on the flight from LIM to CUZ, so we stayed well clear of the gate until boarding started. CUZ to LIM no one cared at all as the airport was packed. Our flight in business from LIM to EZE also presented no issues whatsoever with carry on baggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.