Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Changes to LANPASS

Just received this email today, with the following info:

http://www.lan.com/es_cl/sitio_perso...e-acumulacion/

From 01 January 2015

Deep discounted short- and long-haul economy fares are loosing:
BASE: 50% (from 100% on long-haul)
BASE PLUS: 75% (from 100% both regional and long-haul)

Premium Business is gaining (from 125% to 150%) for all flights, short- and long-haul.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Is this effective for members from all countries?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
It appears to be. In the link above I substituted the "/es_cl/" for "_ar," "_pe," "_co" and all took me to the same information within the country's site.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by zpaul
It appears to be. In the link above I substituted the "/es_cl/" for "_ar," "_pe," "_co" and all took me to the same information within the country's site.
I see the link when clicking on your link above, but can't find it if I just look at the LAN site -- nothing in the news or LANPASS section, at least that I can see. I'll guess it's only a matter of time before they publicize it.

Two questions come to mind:

1) How will they be changing partner earning rates? I've been accumulating a fair number of km with AA flights. All earn 100% (at this time), unless it's class 'O' which earns zero km.

2) Will this affect elite qualification too? If my MEX-SCL flights suddenly only earn 50% towards qualifying, then I'll return to UA and Copa and ask for a status match.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: LATAM Black Signature, SPG Ambassador LT Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
This is crap.

Even more, because LAN sent a targeted e-mail to elites, that roughly says "because you fly on Premium Business so often, you're going to love getting 150% earnings", not mentioning the lowering to 75% of the V bucket.

I fly PB about 25% of the time on paid tickets, but the other 75% is with UPGs via KMS or coupons.

Shame on you LAN... once again...
Old Nov 7, 2014, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got an email which said:
Dear sdsearch,

The industry moves and we don't stay behind. That is why, as of January 1st, 2015,we will update the LANPASS KMS accumulation percentages on international flights, some have gone up , some down, while others have been maintained. Get to know about the new percentages for your flown KMS and always travel informed. Learn More.
However, that link takes me to a page which says "new accumulation rules" but has no other content (no chart, no text explain the changes, nothing).

(This is as a USA-based member.)
Old Nov 7, 2014, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Is this effective for members from all countries?
Originally Posted by zpaul
But that still keeps it as Spanish, and I can't figure out how to change the language. I bet people in the US and Canada would prefer English, and people in Brazil would prefer Portuguese.

Not everyone who flies LAN speaks Spanish. And LAN sends emails in English to those who want it (unlike Aerolinaes Argentinas). But as I explained in my post right above this, my email in English contained a link that explains nothing at all.

(I realize you posted a summary in English in post 1, and thanks for that, but it shouldn't have to fall on other FTers to get the info on this to English speakers!)
Old Nov 7, 2014, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
This scheme is probably better than the pure revenue schemes. At least with this one, you can reasonably calculate your points, and you won't be penalized for for purchasing an I or D fare, or worry about what you'll earn within your range of fares for the particular cabin.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: LATAM Black; AA EXP
I also received the "because you travel mainly on Premium Business you will be happy to know that..."

It says that the new chart is effective it's for tickets purchased after 1st of January. I do wonder if they actually mean it that way or is it for flights departing the 1st of January.

Old Nov 7, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Well, that sigh your heard was me. Some airlines are gutting their FF programs, I was wondering when the LAN shoe would drop. If that is the worst they do I have a sigh of relief.

Not that it is good. A 25% drop in V upgradeable fare but for me it will sort of balance off with 25% more in Biz. The 50% drop in Base for long haul international will probably effect me more.

Ya know they have the data and they know exactly how and who this will effect. It tells me the program is still sustainable and just needed a small tweak – good news.

Eastbay has a good question. Each country has some variance in earning rates domestically, can't recall if it varied international.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
For someone who travels mainly on "I" fares this is fantastic news. Sorry it is not good news for everyone though.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by postular
For someone who travels mainly on "I" fares this is fantastic news. Sorry it is not good news for everyone though.
Now mr postular you have managed to confuse me even more than I am normally confused... aren't I fares Biz reward redemption fares so not earning kms?
Old Nov 8, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: LATAM Black; AA EXP
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Now mr postular you have managed to confuse me even more than I am normally confused... aren't I fares Biz reward redemption fares so not earning kms?
Nope, that would be U class. I is the chepeast Biz class fare
Old Nov 8, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: LANPASS premium silver, A3
What a shame! considering I purchase the cheapest fare available when flying long haul in LAN. the 50%kms earn in base fares will certainly make a difference. I hope that flying AA will continue to earn 100% kms, otherwise I'll sadly have to switch to another airline!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 767traveller
What a shame! considering I purchase the cheapest fare available when flying long haul in LAN. the 50%kms earn in base fares will certainly make a difference. I hope that flying AA will continue to earn 100% kms, otherwise I'll sadly have to switch to another airline!
Which other airline? In case you haven't noticed, this is a trend across many airlines. In the USA, both DL and UA are changing to giving miles based on fare paid, not miles based on distance flown. AA is in fact so far the lone holdout (among the major USA airlines), but is that only due to them being busy with their merger???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.