Wiki Posts
Search

SCL to MDZ $1000+ one-way

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
SCL to MDZ $1000+ one-way

We will be in South America in Dec/Jan and were planning to book internal flights using the now discontinued Airpass. Looking at costs for individual segments all look reasonably priced with the exception of SCL to Mendoza - all dates I looked at are around $1000 pp one-way while MDZ-AEP, a much longer flight, is less than $200.

Any hints on how to get a cheaper fare - I looked at award flights using AA miles but it seems no awards are available for my required date. So we'll look into a bus option or just cancel the 4 days in Mendoza and go directly to Buenos Aires.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Can you just do it on a separate PNR? that way you check for SCL-MDZ-SCL
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
You just want a one-way ticket, correct? ie, SCL-MDZ? Book a round trip ticket, and throw away the return portion. Just with a quick random check of dates in January, I see it available as cheap as CLP 89,218 (USD$151).
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Many thanks, yes the trick is to book a return flight and just not use the ticket from SCL-MDZ and "throw away" the return. Not suse why LAN prices this route like this as other one-way segments (e.g. MDZ-AEP and USH-AEP) are reasonably priced.

Last edited by pschafer; Sep 12, 2014 at 12:00 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 12, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro
If you can spare the day to take the bus, the views along the way are some of the most incredible you will ever see!
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by mmoorrggaann
If you can spare the day to take the bus, the views along the way are some of the most incredible you will ever see!
^ Agreed. One of the most scenic bus rides I've ever done.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again, while in panic mode about the one-way airfare (before finding about the return fare trick) I also stumbled across a Mendoza company that does private van/driver transfers with a tour (i.e. stops) - we are now thinking this is the best option - hotel door to hotel door service for not that much more than the "return" airfare. We also considered the bus option - but the private tour is more our mojo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.