Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG points transfer to LAN

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

SPG points transfer to LAN

Given that transferring points to LAN gives you double the miles and LAN is a oneworld partner, why shouldnt we all be doing this?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:02 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Have you seen their redemption chart? It is based in kilometers and award redemption is based on the number of kilometers you are flying on one leg (so it has to be a direct flight).

There are a few redemptions that make sense, but the overall program isn't all you'd think it is at first sight.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by amolkold
Have you seen their redemption chart? It is based in kilometers and award redemption is based on the number of kilometers you are flying on one leg (so it has to be a direct flight).

There are a few redemptions that make sense, but the overall program isn't all you'd think it is at first sight.
+1.

A Coach redemption on AA JFK-LAX-Hawaii-LAX-JFK would cost 108,000 LAN Pass kilometers, or 54,000 MR points. The same redemption would cost only 35,000 BA miles, or 35,000 MR points. And with the current 50% transfer bonus from MR to BA, only 24,000 MR points would be needed for the trip!
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Short haul LAN redemption was super for me.

Buenos Aires - Mendoza was only 16,000pts... or only 8k SPG points. Cost of flight was like $370, so I feel like i got real good value, 4.6cents (using only 8k SPG points).

The fact that they dont allow 1-way awards kinda sucks in some cases though, but most of my flights were booked via BA so I was ok.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:22 pm

And the fact that the award 'cost' is calculated by pricing each segment individually then adding the prices.

And yes, kilometres too (even QF uses miles!)
Old Jul 30, 2011, 4:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Moving to LAN section because discussion is primarily about redemption redemption strategy after transfer.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by mia
Moving to LAN section because discussion is primarily about redemption redemption strategy after transfer.
Nice to know there is a LAN section now
Old Jul 30, 2011, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Nice to know there is a LAN section now
It only took 12 years. Welcome to the LAN section.

More like a subsection of a nonsection.

Back to the OP, LAN math is KM math, so it isn't double. It can make sense for domestic flights w/in South America when you don't qualify for resident fares.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:45 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by rajuabju
Short haul LAN redemption was super for me
It makes sense for round-trip, non-stop, short-haul, trans-border, last-minute redemptions. At least that's what I use it for.

A few of its many moments: My particular transfer took over a month and several customer service follow-ups to complete. LAN's online booking engine only shows three flights a day, so if there are multiple flights you'll only have your choice of early morning flights -- and even then, maybe not, as it shows the flights regardless of whether there's redeemable space. LAN's site is a marvel of frustration.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Air
I did this myself for the ADQ-ANC route, which is usually around $350 r/t and falls into the 6,000 km each way category. Took 3.5 weeks for the SPG points to show up in my LAN account, but definitely good value.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Does this work for medium haul AA domestic flights, even if they are two-segments each way? For instance, MCI-DFW-PIT is 22 kms, which would be 11 K SPG points.

Is the main barrier getting the SPG points to transfer? Do you have to call LAN to redeem the kms? I'm assuming it's only SAAver availability.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 7:34 pm

LAN's award chart is segment by segment based. So it's ideal for ultra-short haul non-stop awards.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 2:01 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wow... I didnt know this was possible. Are there any residence restrictions for doing this... I mean does it matter where your SPG and/or LAN accounts are based...? If someone has a link handy to the details and small print for this, please post it. Im not sure that I will be able to get enough SPG points to make them usable for hotel nights, so perhaps some LAN kilometers are a good option these starpoints.

Thanks,
Alex / Gaucho100K
Old Sep 11, 2011, 3:25 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...rCode=LANCHILE
Old Sep 13, 2011, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Wow... I didnt know this was possible. Are there any residence restrictions for doing this... I mean does it matter where your SPG and/or LAN accounts are based...? If someone has a link handy to the details and small print for this, please post it. Im not sure that I will be able to get enough SPG points to make them usable for hotel nights, so perhaps some LAN kilometers are a good option these starpoints.

Thanks,
Alex / Gaucho100K
No resident restrictions as far as I know.

I'll be down in Argentina soon. I transferred 40k SPG points and ended up with 100k LAN points.

Those were enough for two tickets each from from Buenos Aires to Iguazu Falls and Buenos Aires to El Calafate. Saved me $1900!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.