Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

A bit disappointed with my KE experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A bit disappointed with my KE experience

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by th14
Overall, they're in my top 5. Especially if you can get the Kosmo 2.0 on a 748 or Apex J. Which is getting harder as the 748 is not on many routes anymore. I will try out the 777 Kosmo 2 at some point and report back.
A380 J has been receiving worse review than other fleets even if the seats are the same. Huge J in A380 gives less attentive feeling and very likely half of those in A380 J are op-ups.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Plat, Hilton Diamond
Skirt has to be reviewing the old J seat. They're not updating the A380 to the Apex seat but are updating everything else. 748, 777, 787 etc.

It's the exact same seat as Japan Airlines! If they're giving JAL a score of 10 for seat, bed, comfort, and space, even giving KE a 9 in those four categories is a 3 point improvement per category. Add 12 points to their total score and you're at 96. Which certainly puts them back in the mix as a better carrier.

I agree the A380 is a major step down with a sub standard seat. So now they have one product that is a nice step up from other carriers. And one that is a step down. Make sure you pick the right one!
Old Mar 6, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL - GM, KE - Morning Calm, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Gold, HH - Gold
Pre-departure drink experience variable?

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
In my experience, you get pre-departure drinks with alcohol in them when departing Incheon but not when departing the foreign destination bound for Incheon. I believe this is for silly tax reasons. If they open a bottle on the ground in Atlanta with the door open, then they've consumed it in the United States and they need to pay import duty. If they keep it closed in quarantine so that it never enters the U.S., just hangs out on the imaginary threshold for a couple hours before turning around to leave, no import duty.

I imagine this varies with the customs laws of the various countries and how significant the duty would be. Maybe some countries are low enough that they will pay the duty. But, when departing the U.S., it's water or fruit juice. If you ask for champagne, they usually tell you, very politely, none is available.
I flew DFW-ICN J roundtrip in Dec, and was offered pre-departure champagne in both DFW and ICN.

Perhaps it varies by specific departure city?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Return flight HAN-ICN : champagne was proposed for pre-departure drink.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Qatar Gold, Delta MM
I'm fine with the service but I avoid flying them simply because the keep the planes so warm. I always seem to wake up sweating. That never happens on other carriers.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by dmf_singapore
I'm fine with the service but I avoid flying them simply because the keep the planes so warm. I always seem to wake up sweating. That never happens on other carriers.
I flew KE 3X last year JFK-ICN-HKG, all in F. As soon as the purser comes over to introduce themselves, I very politely ask about the temperature. I don't take no for an answer and have not failed to get them to turn it down to 22 degrees C. I would prefer 20, but 22 is comfortable enough. The key is to speak softly and politely. I know how to get tough when necessary, in this case the opposite works.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Wow - interesting reading. Have a bunch of Chase UR points we're figuring out what to do with - maybe we'll just hope and pray for SQ awards rather than burn on KE! From the description above their J sounds thoroughly mediocre. Even AA will serve champagne as a PDB. And what's with taking the menus away? Do they really re-use J menus on multiple flights? Weird.
I also have a bunch of Chase Rewards points and used them last year on KE (JFK-ICN-HKG). The reward price is fantastic. I usually fly business to Asia but the deal on KE is so good that I splurged for F.

In my opinion KE is a cut below other Asian airlines but the F seat made it a slam dunk to me. I would choose KE F over any other business class in a heartbeat.

To me the seat is the most important factor on a long haul flight. I don't drink when I fly so that doesn't matter to me. The food is definitely 3rd rate. But the service is superb. The flight attendants seem to be genuinely concerned that the passengers are happy. They can't do enough for you.

I agree with others about the lounges. Both JFK and ICN have dedicated F lounges, I would classify both as mid range business class lounges. In HKG they use the Skyteam Lounge, which is very good.

Again to me the seat is #1 and an F seat at that price is a slam dunk.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Agree with the reward seat. I was looking at flights from China to DFW for July and 80,000 miles + a little over $200 for F is a fantastic deal.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:21 pm

I believe you can use Air France Lounge in JFK also, AF lounge is way better than KE lounge
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Plat, Hilton Diamond
I think access to the AF lounge depends on time of day. That's definitely true for Priority Pass but can't remember for skyteam members. I fly out on the late night flight so not an issue for me as the AF lounge has cleared out. It's definitely an improvement over the KE lounge. Though the dedicated F part of the KE lounge is less crowded so it's also fine.

Agree with MW147 review. Maybe will add one clarification for me. When he says a cut below other Asian carriers, I assume he means SQ, CX, ANA, JL and maybe the Taiwan carriers. KE is much better than the Chinese carriers like MU, CZ, Air China and the Indian carriers.

So would definitely agree they're a cut below the top carriers (though the hard product is comparable). But just realize a cut below those carriers isn't a bad place to be.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by th14
I think access to the AF lounge depends on time of day. That's definitely true for Priority Pass but can't remember for skyteam members. I fly out on the late night flight so not an issue for me as the AF lounge has cleared out. It's definitely an improvement over the KE lounge. Though the dedicated F part of the KE lounge is less crowded so it's also fine.

Agree with MW147 review. Maybe will add one clarification for me. When he says a cut below other Asian carriers, I assume he means SQ, CX, ANA, JL and maybe the Taiwan carriers. KE is much better than the Chinese carriers like MU, CZ, Air China and the Indian carriers.

So would definitely agree they're a cut below the top carriers (though the hard product is comparable). But just realize a cut below those carriers isn't a bad place to be.
Yes, I was referring to the premier Asian carriers.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I think the OP got a poor crew. I haven't experienced his/her issues flying KE in business or first, except sometimes (not always) the crew wants to take the menu back. I've found just asking to keep it for reference later works.
Flew in J ICN-SGN last night and my first trip as well on KE.
The service was almost verbatim as the OP stated except champagne was offered pre departure.

I wanted to keep the menu as it was my fan (very hot while on the ground) and the FA seemed out of sorts and flustered with the request so I just relinquished it.

I wanted a cocktail but wasn't ever sure when was the time to order it. Service was strange. Ended up just ordering a tepid beer. Very confusing service.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by apodo77
Very confusing service.
Yes, that was my gobal conclusion too.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I'm sitting in the KE lounge near gate 100+ waiting for a JL flight. Wish I had went to the Asiana (or Cathay if I could get in as OW sapphire) on my BA ticket. This is the second worst OW lounge I've been in for food. Really bad. The worst was Lyon.

a really poor selection. I should have made a mental note on my last trip. Next time I'll know to go to another lounge. :-(
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
I'm sitting in the KE lounge near gate 100+ waiting for a JL flight. Wish I had went to the Asiana (or Cathay if I could get in as OW sapphire) on my BA ticket. This is the second worst OW lounge I've been in for food. Really bad. The worst was Lyon.

a really poor selection. I should have made a mental note on my last trip. Next time I'll know to go to another lounge. :-(
The OZ lounge is even worse if you can believe that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.