Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

East Coast US to Hawaii on Korean for 25K points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

I've read several blog posts on how to do this, but every time I find award space on Delta and try to pull in up on Korean's website, I get the message that it can't find anything. I am only pulling dates and itineraries that are bookable for 45K miles r/t on Delta, hoping to book the Delta flight for 25K miles r/t via Korean.

I'm trying to book sometime in late September, but we are flexible and go later in the year, too.

Any advice? Just keep trying other dates? Am I doing something wrong? Should this post be in a different part of the forum?

Last edited by catccc; Feb 15, 2017 at 2:11 pm
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by catccc
I've read several blog posts on how to do this, but every time I find award space on Delta and try to pull in up on Korean's website, I get the message that it can't find anything. I am only pulling dates and itineraries that are bookable for 45K miles r/t on Delta, hoping to book the Delta flight for 25K miles r/t via Korean.

I'm trying to book sometime in late September, but we are flexible and go later in the year, too.

Any advice? Just keep trying other dates? Am I doing something wrong? Should this post be in a different part of the forum?
I'm no expert on this (but plan on doing the same thing you are soon).

Anyway, it's my understanding that Delta only releases ONE seat per flight for FC/Business via Skypass/KE booking. (Although I think you said 25k, so you're doing economy?)

Not sure about economy.

I've had limited success in this forum regarding the KE/Skymiles partnership and you may have better luck over here (even though technically it's for using skymiles on partner airlines). Delta forum just seems more "popular".

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...er-thread.html

I personally plan on using juicymiles or something to book, but mainly because I can't find anything on KE website (even though they supposedly added the option on their website to search skypartners or whatever it's called), but also because I'm needing TWO FC tickets, and I know it'll be impossible to get both by KE, so I'll have to get one ticket via KE (on delta metal) and one via Delta Skymiles on same Delta flight. Which is way beyond what I have the time or knowledge to do.

But I also plan on booking 331 days out as apparently the KE "seats" on Delta go very fast. So if you're looking for Sept of this year I'd say you have small chance (but again, I don't know how many economy seats Delta releases to KE).

Good luck!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:54 am

Could be painful but KE website does not find all possible routings. Routings could be pre-loaded.

Multi-city option could be a lifesaver here. For instance, if delta said ABQ-SLC-SEA-HNL is 22.5k and KE website fails to find that, try one-ways ABQ-SLC & SLC-HNL at both DL and KE website to make sure KE sees the same inventory. And then you can combine them through multi-city.

Edit: KE allows only 2 transfers (incl. stopover) in each direction. If DL shows 3-stop itinerary, KE cannot do that even with multi-city.

Last edited by bobbybrown; Feb 16, 2017 at 9:00 am
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:13 am
Original Poster

So, I've had luck finding itineraries with only one connection!

I'd much rather save my miles/points for additional flights than book FC/Business, so yes, we are just trying to book economy.

But what I'm finding is not flying out of PHL or BWI, which are the two closest to me, just JFK and DCA, which are a couple extra hours drive. Still probably worth it to book to save 40K miles, I think. (That's 45-25=20 x2 people = 40)

Someone said elsewhere in this forum that they weren't able to book when there were 2 connections, the agent he spoke to on the phone wasn't able to, either. I know the rules say max 2, but based on what I'm finding, it looks like max 1. I have not tried multi city with connections. I have not tried, for example, PHL-MSP-LAX, LAX-KOA and then the same in reverse. I did try PHL-MSP, MSP-LAX, LAX-KOA and then the same in reverse, and it was a no go. I'm going to assume if I can't get it to come up on Korean's website it isn't worth a call, though, based on the feedback from someone else.

I'm new to all this, it's very exciting. Kind of surprised a service like juicymiles exists! Had to google that. And delta "metal." And it took me a while to figure out that Korean Airlines code was KE. (Why isn't everyone calling it KA, I thought?!) So thanks for all the tips!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:51 am

I'd much rather save my miles/points for additional flights than book FC/Business, so yes, we are just trying to book economy.

But what I'm finding is not flying out of PHL or BWI, which are the two closest to me, just JFK and DCA, which are a couple extra hours drive. Still probably worth it to book to save 40K miles, I think. (That's 45-25=20 x2 people = 40)

Someone said elsewhere in this forum that they weren't able to book when there were 2 connections, the agent he spoke to on the phone wasn't able to, either. I know the rules say max 2, but based on what I'm finding, it looks like max 1. I have not tried multi city with connections. I have not tried, for example, PHL-MSP-LAX, LAX-KOA and then the same in reverse. I did try PHL-MSP, MSP-LAX, LAX-KOA and then the same in reverse, and it was a no go. I'm going to assume if I can't get it to come up on Korean's website it isn't worth a call, though, based on the feedback from someone else.

I'm new to all this, it's very exciting. Kind of surprised a service like juicymiles exists! Had to google that. And delta "metal." And it took me a while to figure out that Korean Airlines code was KE. (Why isn't everyone calling it KA, I thought?!) So thanks for all the tips!
Sorry about the terms. I had to learn them myself on this website. I'm still getting use to "WN" as code-speak for southwest airlines. LOL

On this site, there's a forum for Travel Tools (?), I think that has a wiki/sticky for Award Ticket booking services/reviews. There's many, juicymiles being only one.

Good luck!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

KA is a different airline: Dragonair, a Cathay Pacific affiliate.

You do realize that KE miles can also be redeemed for travel on AS? And that KE awards permit one free stopover in each direction? Taking advantage of the stopover option might open up more award-redemption possibilities for you.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:43 am

I was able to book a trip for this May using the old system of having to call in, wait for callback, and put thee itinerary on hold but I was able to use a stopover to get the flights I needed. I booked MCO-LAX-LIH , OGG-LAX, LAX-MCO. The new system is so much easier but the nice thing about the old way is that I actually changed my itinerary a few times after putting it on hold. I initially had LAX-ATL-MCO on the way back but was able to change it later on to a direct LAX-MCO flight. I'm not sure if you can still call and put flights on hold still or if you can only book online, but its worth a shot to call for the flexibility if you aren't totally sure on your dates or the routing you find isn't optimal.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Coasterdevils30
I was able to book a trip for this May using the old system of having to call in, wait for callback, and put thee itinerary on hold but I was able to use a stopover to get the flights I needed. I booked MCO-LAX-LIH , OGG-LAX, LAX-MCO. The new system is so much easier but the nice thing about the old way is that I actually changed my itinerary a few times after putting it on hold. I initially had LAX-ATL-MCO on the way back but was able to change it later on to a direct LAX-MCO flight. I'm not sure if you can still call and put flights on hold still or if you can only book online, but its worth a shot to call for the flexibility if you aren't totally sure on your dates or the routing you find isn't optimal.
DL metal? I think so based on your routing, but wanted to confirm. Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by dburns
DL metal? I think so based on your routing, but wanted to confirm. Thanks.
Yep, all on Delta.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
You do realize that KE miles can also be redeemed for travel on AS? And that KE awards permit one free stopover in each direction? Taking advantage of the stopover option might open up more award-redemption possibilities for you.
Yes, thanks! We kind of wanted to do a stopover, but we can't make our trip any longer, and want to maximize our time on the islands. Too bad, maybe next time!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

So I was able to put an itinerary on hold, and I got in all the paperwork for ticket issuance. But I called today and they told me that yes, they have everything, but they would call me back before 11/29 (the date of travel) to collect taxes and issue the tickets. I'm really surprised because I thought I would be able to have these tickets issued and this process done already. I guess there's really no harm in waiting, the reservation holds our tickets, and they rep on the phone told me that the mileage rates for the tickets is locked in. I asked why they couldn't just do it then while I had them on the phone, and they told me they were issuing tickets for travelers flying sooner than me. I thought that was kinda weird. Hope it all works out.

Has anyone else had this happen? Could this have been avoided if I just booked through the website instead of over the phone?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:43 pm

So I was able to put an itinerary on hold, and I got in all the paperwork for ticket issuance. But I called today and they told me that yes, they have everything, but they would call me back before 11/29 (the date of travel) to collect taxes and issue the tickets. I'm really surprised because I thought I would be able to have these tickets issued and this process done already. I guess there's really no harm in waiting, the reservation holds our tickets, and they rep on the phone told me that the mileage rates for the tickets is locked in. I asked why they couldn't just do it then while I had them on the phone, and they told me they were issuing tickets for travelers flying sooner than me. I thought that was kinda weird. Hope it all works out.

Has anyone else had this happen? Could this have been avoided if I just booked through the website instead of over the phone?

I wouldn't worry too much. Your itinerary is on hold indefinitely until they call back. You should be able to call back anytime to purchase the tickets if you really want to. I called to purchase mine just a few weeks ago for my May trip because I wanted to pick out specific seats to match up with some family going. The nice thing about the indefinite hold is you are under no obligation to purchase if your plans change. You can also make any changes if you need to.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

They called me back today! Tickets are issued. Very excited about this trip!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:08 pm

I have a RT booking from ATL-OGG this summer on DL for a family of 4 made through KE. Anyone know if I can still get free bags with my Gold Skymiles Amex? I have searched high and low and can't find an answer.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Silver, BA, AA, FlyingBlue, IberiaPlus,Wyndham Rewards
Originally Posted by kutbert
I have a RT booking from ATL-OGG this summer on DL for a family of 4 made through KE. Anyone know if I can still get free bags with my Gold Skymiles Amex? I have searched high and low and can't find an answer.
I don't know for sure, but I would say that you likely can. The key to triggering the free bag benefit is having your skymiles number associated with your ticket. Since you booked with Skypass, that's likely the loyalty number currently associated with your ticket. Delta.com may or may not allow you to add your Skymiles number online, but you should be able to have it done by calling in.

While I've never actually done this with Delta, I have done this very thing when flying on both American and Alaska for flights bought with British Airways Avios, as I have both AA and AS credit cards which also offer a free bag. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.